Another Koran-kissing moment

  • Thread starter Thread starter montanaman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just what I was thinking, I have faith in his(and JP2’s) motives, because I’ve seen by thier actions they are great men of faith and knowledge.
Amen — after all, Pope Benedict XVI was behind the Vatican document, Dominus Iesu which clearly stated that the fullness of God’s revelation is in Jesus Christ and His Church and that there is no need to go to other religions to find truth or that other religions are equally valid, a common heresy today.
 
Doesn’t it bother you that ecumenism has no official definition? How can we know whether or not it’s good if we don’t even know what it is? The definition that you provide is extremely unsettling. The idea of achieving unity of all religions doesn’t sound wrong to you? I would hope as a follower of Jesus Christ the idea of uniting a false religion with the One True religion would make you shudder. Why do you assume that evangelization somehow excludes preaching the Truth in love? I never suggested that we should preach the Truth in anything but love. The Church has been doing this since day one, long before “ecumenism” entered the scene.
Ok, to me, you are misinterpreting and misrepresenting ecuminism. Uniting does not mean blending. Say it with me, uniting does not mean blending.
Catholics from the beginning have sought to make the world one, united in the worship of God. How is this wrong. Catholics believe that other religions may have some truth in them, but only the Catholic faith has the fullness of the Truth. So, we need to show others the fullness of the truth.
In order to do this, we need to understand what they believe, and respect it, not because it is the fullness of the truth, but rather because it has some part of truth in it. I assure you, the Church does not seek to blend all religions into some dreaded amalagam of worship, but does seek that the world be one.

A lone Raven
 
Doesn’t it bother you that ecumenism has no official definition? How can we know whether or not it’s good if we don’t even know what it is? The definition that you provide is extremely unsettling. The idea of achieving unity of all religions doesn’t sound wrong to you? I would hope as a follower of Jesus Christ the idea of uniting a false religion with the One True religion would make you shudder. Why do you assume that evangelization somehow excludes preaching the Truth in love? I never suggested that we should preach the Truth in anything but love. The Church has been doing this since day one, long before “ecumenism” entered the scene.
Definition of ecumenicalism-
Love thy neighbor, love they enemy, do good to those who hate you, turn the other cheek, give him the coat off your back, pray for him, give your life for the just and the unjust man, give to all who ask… shall I continue?
 
Definition of ecumenicalism-
Love thy neighbor, love they enemy, do good to those who hate you, turn the other cheek, give him the coat off your back, pray for him, give your life for the just and the unjust man, give to all who ask… shall I continue?
Well put. 👍

Sadly, many people, when you say ‘Ecumenism’ to them, will suddenly think of the wrong type of Ecumenism.
 
Ok, to me, you are misinterpreting and misrepresenting ecuminism. Uniting does not mean blending. Say it with me, uniting does not mean blending.
Catholics from the beginning have sought to make the world one, united in the worship of God. How is this wrong. Catholics believe that other religions may have some truth in them, but only the Catholic faith has the fullness of the Truth. So, we need to show others the fullness of the truth.
In order to do this, we need to understand what they believe, and respect it, not because it is the fullness of the truth, but rather because it has some part of truth in it. I assure you, the Church does not seek to blend all religions into some dreaded amalagam of worship, but does seek that the world be one.

A lone Raven
Yes, Catholics from the beginning have sought to make the world one, united in the worship of God *by exhorting all to abandon their false religions and repent of their sinful practices, *and enter the only ark of salvation outside of which all will perish in the flood, the Apostolic Roman Catholic Church. Anyway, aren’t lies dangerous because they all blend elements of truth in them? How many conversions has the ecumenical “dialogue” of the last 40 some years resulted in? On the other hand, how many Catholics have abandoned the Church in favor of other religions or no religion at all?
 
Definition of ecumenicalism-
Love thy neighbor, love they enemy, do good to those who hate you, turn the other cheek, give him the coat off your back, pray for him, give your life for the just and the unjust man, give to all who ask… shall I continue?
Oh ok so I guess we didn’t believe in or practice these things before V2 when we engaging in “ecumenism” and fruitless dialogue that has resulted in nothing but the loss of faith amongst Catholics and lack of conversions from other religions? Give me a break.
Oh, and according to dictionary.com anyway, the definition of ecumenism is:
A movement promoting unity among Christian churches or denominations.
A movement promoting worldwide unity among religions through greater cooperation and improved understanding.
Which is not exactly the same thing as the “Love thy neighbor…” defintion you give it. If dictionary.com’s definition of ecumenism is correct, then ecumenism is definitely contrary to Catholic principles. For how can their be unity amongst the True Religion and false religions? How can men achieve unity in a way that does not encompass their conversion to the One True Church of Christ?
 
Since I know some folks have difficulty with the meaning of simple words, I will go the route and say the pope participated in … no wait, he was there so it is not absentia or osmosis.

Catholics should be frightened by the misuse of their own tenets. He was there and therefore participated. I go to a ballgame and am a participant in the game even tho I may not carry a ball. But you won’t understand this, since I said nothing about the pope whorshipping someone, I said he participated in pagan worship, and so says the bishop who wrote the treatise.

For myself, I don’t care where the pope goes or what he does. He can join a traveling zoo, and I’ll say congratulations. What is outstanding in this matter is simply the double standard, which is excused by the catholic controvertist, because it fits the need of the moment. Never mind the thousands, perhaps more, catholics burning in hell or doing purgatory for disobeying the order of communicatio in sacris.
Enjoy!
May God break your heart. God bless!
 
Why am I judging? I am showing you what the bible says, about people whom outright deny Jesus is God in flesh, and who they are considered.

6Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, “Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not take pride in one man over against another.
Ya missed out the important next verse…"
No, I didn’t miss it. I have read the whole passage. What’s your point though? This, in NO WAY, changes what Paul stated. Are you saying that Paul actually would feel he could judge himself if he was not trying to teach those he was writing to? Not a very good argument.
Are you saying someone whom out and out denies Christ as our Lord and Saviour shouldn’t be told they are wrong? I can tell you I will stand firm on the Word of God
“Christ is the way and no one comes to the Father but through the Son”
Uhhhh… I think I was pretty clear to make a distinction between those who actively deny or reject and those who have, “through no fault of their own” been able to accept the Gospel. Furthermore, only GOD can judge a person’s heart to know the degree of culpability that individual has in either rejecting or not hearing the Gospel in a way that it could be accepted. Thus, you are judging the man’s culpability when you assume that the fact he is not Christian is because he has REJECTED the Gospel. This in no way, alleviates our responsibility to share the Gospel with them. The question has never been whether we should do this, but HOW. You keep missing the point. You want to cram it down people’s throats, which they will never be able to receive. I want to preach the “truth” in “love,” as the Scripture commands. Your prooftexts have done nothing to contradict my position, only strengthen it.
 
Doesn’t it bother you that ecumenism has no official definition? How can we know whether or not it’s good if we don’t even know what it is? The definition that you provide is extremely unsettling. The idea of achieving unity of all religions doesn’t sound wrong to you? I would hope as a follower of Jesus Christ the idea of uniting a false religion with the One True religion would make you shudder. Why do you assume that evangelization somehow excludes preaching the Truth in love? I never suggested that we should preach the Truth in anything but love. The Church has been doing this since day one, long before “ecumenism” entered the scene.
You’re missing the point of the unity. The unity begins in acknowledging the similarities. Once I have established a solid relationship based on similarities, we can start to evaluate the difference. The Catholic position is to never sacrifice the truth for the sake of unity, as someone posted on the previous page. However, we can’t just start as antagonists. That is not effective. We start by living the Gospel, praising a person where they hold on to the good and true, and then gradually immerse them in the Catholic faith. Nobody is saying that the false religions will be equal to the Catholic faith in the newly found unity. We are saying that we must approach these people with respect, and “preach the truth in love.”
 
We are saying that we must approach these people with respect, and “preach the truth in love.”
And we weren’t doing that prior to the 1960s?? Again, how many genuine conversions has “ecumenical dialogue” resulted in?
 
You know, I think that some people should attempt to walk in the Pope’s shoes. The entire time that he was Turkey he daily kept up the message that violence should eshewed by religion. He never backed down from the core of this message even though it was not a popular one for the region.

What people seem to be forgetting is that Pope isn’t some arm chair theologian, or pastor of a local church. The Pope is the head of over 1 billion worshipers. The RCC represents a significant portion of humanity spread across the globe. When he speaks he represents all of us. His seat of government is also a city state. The Pope is a world leader.

While it is easy and gratifying for all of us to say whatever thought enters our mind, the Pope has to think first and consider his battles. He made a statement in Germany, he continued the thought in Turkey. He also has responsibilities as a head of state. It would have served no purpose to have insulted the Turkish government when he’s trying to get them too see that we should be living in peace.

If the Pope would have made a scene at the Blue Mosque it would not have been a proud statement of his convictions it would have been stupid and self-defeating.
 
as a sign of respect to what the bible calls anti-christ?
I’m sorry? The Scriptures tell us that the Muslims are the anti-christ? I understand this is a popular beleif today but nowhere do the Scriptures teach this.
 
I’m sorry? The Scriptures tell us that the Muslims are the anti-christ? I understand this is a popular beleif today but nowhere do the Scriptures teach this.
I absolutely love the way people round here pick snippets without context…
You apparently dont read 1john 2john or 3john and you clearly have no idea how the term anti christ is revealed in the bible.

here is an example…
1 Jn.2:22-23 “Who is a liar but** he who denies that Jesus is the Christ He is anti Christ **who denies the father and the Son, Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either, he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.”

So tell me do muslims qualify???

Are you guys aware that over 100 times in the Quran, it advocates and encourages the killing of any who do not profess what Muhammed taught.

I wish I had my notes with me today, I would quote you some bonechilling verses, from Satans religion.
 
IMan, I wish I would’ve been here to see how you guys reacted to B16 when he made the violence connection to Muhammed.
He was most certainly condemning them at that point.
Thanks for not answering the question.

What does your response have to do with my statements?

Can you really say these folks “deny” Jesus when they don’t know who He really is?

Dude, you obviously did not read the popes whole talk. I thought you were better than the secular media. You’re just another one who like to cut and paste while ignoring the context. HMMM, thou shalt not bear false witness comes to mind
 
I’m sorry? The Scriptures tell us that the Muslims are the anti-christ? I understand this is a popular beleif today but nowhere do the Scriptures teach this.
The Scriptures say that anyone who denies Jesus Christ is an antichrist and is of the devil.
 
And we weren’t doing that prior to the 1960s?? Again, how many genuine conversions has “ecumenical dialogue” resulted in?
It’s resulted in double digit solid conversions of people in my life, and I have been doing this for less than 10 years. I can’t speak for anyone else.

And OF COURSE people were doing this prior to the 1960’s. I think the disconnect we are having stems from you equating the labeling of a word as the creation of that practice. In reality though, you would even grant that the Trinity was OFFICIALLY defined (and named) much after the actual belief existed. Thus, the fact that the Church started using the word “Trinity” to describe the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, in no way signified a new idea. It just articulated the same idea more clearly. In the same way, ecumenism has ALWAYS been practiced. The mere fact that the word was not in circulation prior to VII in no way means that the Catholics did not practice it.
 
The Scriptures say that anyone who denies Jesus Christ is an antichrist and is of the devil.
In order to “deny” something, we must make a choice to reject it. It is an act of the will. In order to make this choice in a way that is going to hold us to the utmost degree of culpability, we must choose it freely, and without coercion. Thus, we must be informed on what the choices are, in order to make this choice freely. Without understanding what is true, I can still do wrong. Yet, my culpability is different from someone who does not know what is true and is making decisions based on the information they have. For example, a mentally retarded person cannot be held to the same standard of culpability as I can, because they are not capable to the degree I am of making informed, reasoned, free choices.

In other words, there are Muslims who have heard the TRUE GOSPEL, and rejected it. However, there are also Muslims who have learned everything they know about Jesus from the Koran and/or other Muslims. Certainly, God knows their degree of culpability. Certainly, we don’t. Thus, GOD ALONE will judge whether they have truly “rejected” Him, or whether they have simply never had the opportunity to “accept” Him. There is a huge difference.
 
I absolutely love the way people round here pick snippets without context…
You apparently dont read 1john 2john or 3john and you clearly have no idea how the term anti christ is revealed in the bible.

here is an example…
1 Jn.2:22-23 “Who is a liar but** he who denies that Jesus is the Christ He is anti Christ **who denies the father and the Son, Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either, he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.”

So tell me do muslims qualify???
I don’t know if they qualify. It is not my place to know a man’s heart. It is God’s place ALONE. Since you seem to know whether a man is worthy of salvation or not, maybe you can just kick Christ off of His judgment seat. Apparently you think it’s your place to judge their heart, so you keep it up. Let all the Muslims know how evil they are, and that they’re going to Hell. That’s always a good place to start when evangelizing. :rolleyes:
 
I absolutely love the way people round here pick snippets without context…
Myfavoritmartin-

I absolutely love the way you have failed to respond to my direct postings to you.

I’m calling you out on this.

You want to slam the Holy Father for his efforts in Turkey, yet you ignore the scriptures that show how he is following in the footsteps of Christ and Paul. Here they are again:

"While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and “sinners” came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?” On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Matthew 9:10-12)

“Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.” (1 Corinthians 9:19-22)

I’ll also add:

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:44-48)

You aspire to be like Christ? Wonderful. How will you apply these verses to your life as the Pope has applied them to his?
 
I absolutely love the way people round here pick snippets without context…
Thank you for your kind and charitable reply. Since there was no context provided I merely assumed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top