Answer needed to problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lynette77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lynette77

Guest
Hi everyone,

I have two questions that I need to ask for help on.
  1. I recently had “words” with a family member because they made a decision not to attend a mass of obligation in favour of going out to bingo! :eek: Now my faith and beliefs are very important to me. I attend Mass and Adoration on a daily basis. So when I tried to expain the consequence of this decision to the person I was accused of "forcing my faith on others !🤷 so how can I deal with this in future?
  2. If I have committed a mortal sin and then make a decision to go to confession but don’t have an opportunity to do so for a couple of days does that mean that prayer during that time is ineffective because of that sin?
thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut
 
  1. As Job said, “No one can deliver his brother to God.” You can’t force someone to make right spiritual decisions, much less ones that YOU consider right.
  2. That’s a lie of the devil trying to get you to despair.
 
If someone decides not to go to church on any day of the week or a Holy Day of obligation there is nothing you can really do except say a prayer for them. You did what you could perhaps with to much enthusiasm but I wouldn’t worry about it anymore. In the future you could always invite them to join you. If they say no, then accept their answer and go yourself. Remember, you can lead the horse to water, but you can’t make him drink it. 🙂
 
Hi everyone,

I have two questions that I need to ask for help on.
  1. I recently had “words” with a family member because they made a decision not to attend a mass of obligation in favour of going out to bingo! :eek: Now my faith and beliefs are very important to me. I attend Mass and Adoration on a daily basis. So when I tried to expain the consequence of this decision to the person I was accused of "forcing my faith on others !🤷 so how can I deal with this in future?
  2. If I have committed a mortal sin and then make a decision to go to confession but don’t have an opportunity to do so for a couple of days does that mean that prayer during that time is ineffective because of that sin?
thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut
  1. Do what you can…but it is not forcing one’s Faith…it is simply living as a Catholic …but of course if that person is not under your authority …a young child… do what you can and pray…and explain if you can that this simply a serious part of being Catholic…
remembering and celebrating an anniversary is part of being a good husband…what would they think of their husband if they knowingly went to bingo instead of celebrating their wedding anniversary…dinner ???
  1. no. God can answer the prayers of even those in unrepented mortal sin…but make sure you seek to make a perfect act of contrition too…and get there as soon as you can…(and abstain of course from Holy Communion) and also make sure you know the three things that one needs for a mortal sin…grave matter, full knowledge and full consent…
also remember …you can just call up or drop by on a Priest…anytime (of course one wants to be reasonable…3am may not be the best choice)

after a daily Mass is a good time to show up often…

Catechism:

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top