S
SnakeMauler
Guest
1 Tim 2:5 “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus”. It looks to me like that makes the point for me that you don’t need to go through any mediator, such as a priest or a saint, just pray to Jesus if you want mediation. When Jesus prayed he prayed to God. So why shouldn’t man?
I can see your point that, according to the Bible, dead people in heaven are aware of what we are doing. I think it’s rather convenient that dead people in heaven can see what we are doing but we have no idea what they are up to. It’s sort of a one way communication barrier. Anyway, so we pray to a dead saint and that saint then prays to God on our behalf, right? Why on earth would you do that when the Bible says that all prayers will be answered:
See Mark 11:22-24 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Why go through an intermediary when Jesus himself said that if you just pray to God you will get anything you ask for?
However…this Bible quote is demonstrably untrue. No one has ever moved a mountain… I mean if anyone had ever moved a mountain with prayer then it would prove the existance of God, and we can’t have that.
Nor can anyone say that “whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” That would also prove the existance of God, and God is a trickster. He doesn’t want people to be able to prove he exists.
Believe me when I tell you, if it were true that whatever I asked for in prayer was given to me I would be at church every Sunday singing his praises. I would pray every morning noon and night. I would love God and I would spread the gospel. I might even be a preacher.
But no. When I fervently prayed and begged and pleaded with God all I got was stone cold silence. I believed in him. I went to church. I believed.
I wish it was true. I wish we got everything we asked for and believed in. But it’s just not true. It is so obviously and demonstrably not true.
Look at this passage that Jesus said, "“I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.” Ok, imagine a preacher who truly believes in God. He has not a doubt in his heart. He could hold a news conference an say, “Hey all you people who don’t believe in God, watch this!” Then he prayed and moved a mountain on TV. That, to me, would prove the existance of God.
What’s the best way to answer his questions?Look, I’m sorry. I know you are very religious and God is very important in your life. I used to believe in God. But when I needed him the most he wasn’t there for me.