B
bmonk
Guest
If your colleague truly will not listen, there is little you can do. But it might help to remind such a person that Jesus himself said, “I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) If Jesus is the way, and indeed the only way to the Father, then we should not follow others ways lest they lead us astray.How are we to go about this?
I have recently spoken to a colleague of mine who claims to both be Catholic and believe that all religions are true (and that he has a crow as is “spirit animal.” Because, yeah, THAT’S TOTALLY SOMETHING CATHOLICS CAN HAVE). Any attemp to correct him on this was met with “You’re just a Bible-thumper” along with loaded statements like “You’re basically saying [off-base interpretation],” “Don’t judge” and “I know more than you do about being Catholic.”
We also have a mutual friend who has shown interest in the Catholic faith. But any time the topic comes up between us 3, I get lambasted as a “Bible-thumper” that “Catholics can have/do [intrinsically un-Catholic thing] and [Catholic practice] is the same as [slightly-similar practice that isn’t Catholic].”
For starters, the mutual friend says she is currently [religion] in the same way one would say “I’m Polish” or “I’m Thai,” and while I tell her that no, religion is not genetic, the colleague chides me for “not understanding her faith.”
How do I answer this nonsense and other gems from the "Catholic in Name Only* colleague?
Yes, the Catholic Church allows matters from other traditions–but only after being sure that there is nothing dangerous in those traditions. And often it’s a matter of comfort to those who grew up that way–allowing something to be brought in that points back to familiar traditions. It makes the transition easier.
One such example is Easter eggs. Nothing inherently anti-Catholic there; indeed, it is a good symbol of new life. And it’s a way to preserve and use the eggs that would otherwise be wasted during the Lenten fast. On the other hand, the Church does object to other practices, such as astrology or visiting pagan temples to pray.
In the end, our Catholic faith is not mine alone, nor do I get to judge what is Catholic and what is not–even priests and bishops must submit to the judgment of the greater Church on what is allowed.
By the way, some religions are family-linked, at least in part–Jews, for example, are Jews by virtue of being born to a Jewish mother, although even there they must embrace or be recognized as Jews by (for males) circumcision. I believe Hindus, in theory, also become Hindu primarily by birth, although I admit I do not know for sure.