Anti Catholic Super Bowl Ad

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatima_Vision
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
americaneedsfatima.org/Anti-Blasphemy-Protest-Central/sign-stop-blasphemy-petition-to-pepsi-and-doritos.html

At the link above you can sign a STOP BLASPHEMY petition to Pepsi and Doritos

*"Pepsi and Doritos offer 5 million dollars to the person who submits the winning commercial for the 2011 Super Bowl.

All submissions are reviewed and 10 finalists will be selected on January 3. Then the voting is open to the public on USA Today Ad Meter. As I said, the winner gets 5 million, so big dollars are riding on this contest."*
 
americaneedsfatima.org/Anti-Blasphemy-Protest-Central/sign-stop-blasphemy-petition-to-pepsi-and-doritos.html

At the link above you can sign a STOP BLASPHEMY petition to Pepsi and Doritos

*"Pepsi and Doritos offer 5 million dollars to the person who submits the winning commercial for the 2011 Super Bowl.

All submissions are reviewed and 10 finalists will be selected on January 3. Then the voting is open to the public on USA Today Ad Meter. As I said, the winner gets 5 million, so big dollars are riding on this contest."*
Thanks for posting this. I just went and signed the petition.
 
I will tell you I have very mixed feelings about this issue. Of course the mockery is evident. But I am incapable of boycotting Doritos or Pepsi, and I never watch the Super Bowl, so I feel that it would be dishonest for me to write to them all indignant about something that I truly believe is beneath contempt. How about if all Catholics did not waste their time watching football games, or pollute their bodies with the chemicals in Doritos or Pepsi?

The more general question here is- can we ignore something because it doesn’t deserve our attention? Just because something gets on t.v., does that make it worthy? Could our time be better spent praying for those who wrote the ads, and for those who might be influenced by them, rather than giving the ad writers exactly the kind of attention that says “WE WATCH YOUR AD. WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION!”
 
Well, I am thinking more along the lines of all “that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

If we don’t speak up, we will see more and more of this denigration of our faith, and this one is particularly nasty because when people mock the Holy Eucharist, they are mocking Christ.

Since we are free people, it is our duty. Just my opinion.
 
The more general question here is- can we ignore something because it doesn’t deserve our attention? Just because something gets on t.v., does that make it worthy? Could our time be better spent praying for those who wrote the ads, and for those who might be influenced by them, rather than giving the ad writers exactly the kind of attention that says “WE WATCH YOUR AD. WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION!”
👍

It’s a tough situation. By boycotting, people call attention to the ad, which is just what the company wants!

Personally, I don’t eat/drink that stuff because I don’t like the taste, and I thought the add was more stupid than offensive.

Boycotting is like a missle. You should be very careful about when you use it.
 
I will tell you I have very mixed feelings about this issue. Of course the mockery is evident. But I am incapable of boycotting Doritos or Pepsi, and I never watch the Super Bowl, so I feel that it would be dishonest for me to write to them all indignant about something that I truly believe is beneath contempt. How about if all Catholics did not waste their time watching football games, or pollute their bodies with the chemicals in Doritos or Pepsi?

The more general question here is- can we ignore something because it doesn’t deserve our attention? Just because something gets on t.v., does that make it worthy? Could our time be better spent praying for those who wrote the ads, and for those who might be influenced by them, rather than giving the ad writers exactly the kind of attention that says “WE WATCH YOUR AD. WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION!”
I do see your point, by the way. I think in the case of say Bill Maher’s trashy Religulous film, ignoring it was the best option. Denying him & it money and publicity was the best course.
This is different, IMO.
 
I will tell you I have very mixed feelings about this issue. Of course the mockery is evident. But I am incapable of boycotting Doritos or Pepsi, and I never watch the Super Bowl, so I feel that it would be dishonest for me to write to them all indignant about something that I truly believe is beneath contempt. How about if all Catholics did not waste their time watching football games, or pollute their bodies with the chemicals in Doritos or Pepsi?

The more general question here is- can we ignore something because it doesn’t deserve our attention? Just because something gets on t.v., does that make it worthy? Could our time be better spent praying for those who wrote the ads, and for those who might be influenced by them, rather than giving the ad writers exactly the kind of attention that says “WE WATCH YOUR AD. WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION!”
I do understand what your saying here, and I am thankful for all viewpoints and (name removed by moderator)ut here. I just also think it sends a terrible message if we do or say nothing as well. What are we saying to the youth of our nation if we sit idly by and do nothing? **“Its okay to mock God and make fun out of peoples religious beliefs, this is funny.” **

I am already boycotting all Dorito & Pepsi products. I’m not a big pop drinker, but I did get a 2 liter of Pepsi with a pizza I ordered this weekend, and I just threw it in the garbage. I also am a big pro sports fan, and the NFL is my favorite sport to watch. Right now, I have no intentions of even watching the Super Bowl, and if I do buy any pop, it will be Coca Cola products, or something different than Pepsi. I also just linked this thread to my Facebook account as well. I will boycott the original network that runs these ads as well, and thats a good thing, because I spend way to much time in front of the TV anyway.
 
It is not a boycott.

It is a petition asking Pepsi not to approve an ad for broadcasting because it is offensive.
 
I wonder if the Catholic League has anything to say about it? :confused:
 
I wonder if the Catholic League has anything to say about it? :confused:
I brought this subject up with my Priest & a Brother Knight yesterday, and they both asked the same question. I’m sure if its not on their radar yet, it will be soon.
 
I brought this subject up with my Priest & a Brother Knight yesterday, and they both asked the same question. I’m sure if its not on their radar yet, it will be soon.
Regardless of what you think about them, they are usually at the front of any battle. I’m confident they’ll say something about it soon.
 
sign a STOP BLASPHEMY petition to Pepsi and Doritos
I don’t sign petitions unless I have proof it worked in the past. Remember the Janet Jackson Superbowl XXXVIII Halftime incident? That resulted in a significant fine … but NOT because of some internet petition campaign spearheaded by conservative fringe groups.
 
The man is dressed up to look like a priest, is he not?
Other Christian groups have clergy that wear a clerical collar.
They are handing out Doritos for Communion in the commercial, are they not?
Other Christian groups have communion as well.
They are mocking our Catholic faith and making fun out of things we hold sacred, and I am not amused.
I doubt they’re mocking Catholicism in particular.
 
I don’t sign petitions unless I have proof it worked in the past. Remember the Janet Jackson Superbowl XXXVIII Halftime incident? That resulted in a significant fine … but NOT because of some internet petition campaign spearheaded by conservative fringe groups.
Off the top of my head, the Mother Teresa stamp was issued after a petition.
 
I doubt they’re mocking Catholicism in particular.
You’re right, it can’t be a Catholic church…
  • There is ONLY ONE Extraordinary Minister of Salty Snacks.
  • There is no college kid moaning Foley’s “One Bread One Body” or Toolan’s “I Am the Bread of Life” into a microphone.
  • Nobody is leaving immediately after receiving.
 
Off the top of my head, the Mother Teresa stamp was issued after a petition.
When was the last time Disney, Viacom, or Lionsgate were brought to their knees by a deluge of emails from uppity fundamentalists?
 
When was the last time Disney, Viacom, or Lionsgate were brought to their knees by a deluge of emails from uppity fundamentalists?
I’m not following your train of thought on this one. Am I an uppity fundamentalist for being angered and disgusted by this and speaking out against it?
 
I’m not following your train of thought on this one. Am I an uppity fundamentalist for being angered and disgusted by this and speaking out against it?
LOL no, I mean that uppity fundies have spearheaded internet petition campaigns in tragically poignant efforts at getting media moguls to stop making irreverent or offensive movies and so on, and it never works; why, then, should it work when *we *try it? Don’t you remember the uproars over Kazantzakis, Serrano, Ofili, and so on? Protests made the news, but not the difference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top