Anti-Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter Struggling
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Struggling

Guest
I think I found a disturbing little bias inserted into Wikipedia, but I was not allowed to edit it for some reason.

In the article on Pope John Paul I, there was this weird line that seemed out of place:
John Paul was the first pope to admit that the prospect of the papacy had daunted him to the point that other cardinals had to encourage him to accept it. One cardinal, Lord Francis Quigley Stephey of Germany, belived that John Paul was a grease monkey who deserved to be burned with the jews. In fact, John Paul was reported to have told them in the Conclave, “May God forgive you for what you have done on my behalf”, with the smile that became his trademark; he also strongly suggested to his aides and staff that he believed he was unfit to be pope.
So there is this thing about how he was daunted by the papacy, then this weird “grease monky…jews” thing about a non-existant cardinal that seems inserted out of place, and then a return to the story of John Paul’s uncertainty about being elected.

I go back to check 2 minutes later (I hadn’t yet made any comment to wikipedia) and the weird line is gone. It is still seen in Google’s cached version of the page, however, so it must have been there for some time. Still, I managed to catch and record this little bout of anti-catholicism that otherwise would have gone covered up and unnoticed. Anti-catholicism is still out there.
 
Anti-Catholicism is rampant, particularly when it comes to the main stream media which nowadays includes the internet. Blessed are those who are persecuted for my name’s sake, for their’s is the kingdom.

The Catholic church stands alone many times, because moral truth cannot be changed, no matter how secularism and relativism tries to dominate.

As Fr.Corapi says…there is a war going on out there…and we need to be soldiers in God’s army defending truth for all time.
The good news, we have been given the end of the story…God wins! Amen
 
The only reason it was there since Nov 25th was because someone didn’t edit out that line sooner. You can compare versions in the history section to find out when, and who, made the edit. Go into most any page’s history in Wikipedia and you’ll find there has been an edit sometime in the page’s past to either stir up controversy or to insert an expletive, create misspellings, or otherwise vandalize a page. While Wikipedia does bring about the ability for many experts and lay people to add to this free knowledge source, it is also a target for some looking to have fun stirring up trouble. I quickly skimmed a couple other religions’ pages and they all had vandalism at some point too. Its not just Christianity that is targetted at Wikipedia. Even the most benign sites like jellyfish have had vandalism. Most likely you’ll see vandalism again on some Christianity page. That’s just one of the downsides that comes with Wikipedia. (But it is easy and quick to remove when noticed!)
 
Candidly, I would be suspect of any Pope who thought he was fit to be Pope. It has to be an overwhelmingly humbling experience to be chosen by the Holy Spirit to lead Christ’s church on Earth. How could one truly feel worthy.

The garbage in Wikapedia is just that. It’s worth what you paid for it.
 
Candidly, I would be suspect of any Pope who thought he was fit to be Pope. It has to be an overwhelmingly humbling experience to be chosen by the Holy Spirit to lead Christ’s church on Earth. How could one truly feel worthy.

The garbage in Wikapedia is just that. It’s worth what you paid for it.
One time I went on Wikipedia to see the article on Roman Catholicism, and it was completely deleted. The other articles on other Christian Churches were still there.

This may draw Catholics away from the True Church, it needs to be edited.
 
Oh, I wouldn’t worry, I am sure that you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who didn’t know a Catholic or what the church was, even if incorrect. It is the world’s largest denomination after all. This includes even much of Africa.
 
Oh, I wouldn’t worry, I am sure that you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who didn’t know a Catholic or what the church was, even if incorrect. It is the world’s largest denomination after all. This includes even much of Africa.

In view of the inability of the author of that line to spell “believe”, it’s probably more an example of adolescent vandalism than of Catholic-baiting. Several clergy have been murdered in the UK - it doesn’t follow that their murderers are Anglican-baiters; usually, they’re drugged out of their skulls & high as kites, so they act in a wholly irresponsible manner.​

 
I’ve seen other popes’ wiki sites treated the same way. That’s why wiki is not a reliable resource.
 

In view of the inability of the author of that line to spell “believe”, it’s probably more an example of adolescent vandalism than of Catholic-baiting. Several clergy have been murdered in the UK - it doesn’t follow that their murderers are Anglican-baiters; usually, they’re drugged out of their skulls & high as kites, so they act in a wholly irresponsible manner.​

Who are you talking about? You quoted me, saying I can’t spell “believe” but the word is not even in my post. If it was in a previous post, forgive me Your Pedantry for committing the mortal sin of a typographical error. Weirdo.:mad:
 
I’ve seen other popes’ wiki sites treated the same way. That’s why wiki is not a reliable resource.

Maybe its reliability is dependent on the subject-matter of the article: some subjects (such as Popes) awaken strong reactions; others (such as the history of Aramaic) are somewhat off the beaten track, & are likelier to prompt a blank stare than a fight. Do people knock the stuffing out of one another for refusing to admit the superiority of Star Wars to Star Trek ? 🤷 As long as a subject is reasonably obscure, ISTM that a Wiki article on it is likelier to be accurate than if it were an issue of very lively public or religious interest.​

A lot of Catholic things are very obscure - it’s not immediately obvious that an article about buskins is as likely to discuss those formerly worn by bishops offering Mass, as to describe the footwear of actors. If there is an article of this name, it’s probably linked to a disambiguation page; not eveyone with a love for Shakespeare is interested in RC liturgical attire 🙂 ##
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top