Anti-Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reformed1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reformed1

Guest
Why do you guys think people make up outlandish lies about your church?

I understand disagreeing with your theology, but why do you think people (Jack Chick comes to mind} make things up, and I mean big, outlandish lies?

Also, why do you think so many people are willing to believe crazy stories about your faith?
 
It’s the devil’s job to destroy truth and love and lead people away from God.
 
Why do you guys think people make up outlandish lies about your church?

I understand disagreeing with your theology, but why do you think people (Jack Chick comes to mind} make things up, and I mean big, outlandish lies?

Also, why do you think so many people are willing to believe crazy stories about your faith?
John 15:18-20. If the world hate you, know ye that it hath hated me before you.
If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
Remember my word that I said to you: The servant is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they have kept my word, they will keep yours also.

And … we are **commanded **to love in return.
 
gap51;1764410And … we are **commanded [/quote said:
to love in return.

Aw, shucks… does that mean we can’t punch 'em out? 😉
My natural response is to handle things the way Nicholas did when Arius refused to accept Our Lord’s divinity… 👍
 
I would suggest that many are not honest people, if they are half as sinful as I was when I was rejecting Catholicism.

I have never seen an honest anti-catholic, yet I have seen many honest non-catholics who sincerely listen to their pastors and study the Bible. Even when they have problems with theology they follow Jesus trusting in Him and wanting to do His will.

Bigotry is the only answer as any honest investigation of Catholicism will show them to have a misunderstanding of Catholicism. Just like the racist man who hates because it makes him feel better it is the same with the Anti-Catholic.

In Christ
Scylla
 
Aw, shucks… does that mean we can’t punch 'em out? 😉
My natural response is to handle things the way Nicholas did when Arius refused to accept Our Lord’s divinity… 👍
By all means! but make sure the “Punch” is of the liquid variety. 🙂

However, as Gandhi says … “Hate the sin but not the sinner.” That bloke was more “Christian” than a lot of us Catholics (er Christians). Oh! BTW how did Nicholas handle Arius? Forgive my ignorance.
 
By all means! but make sure the “Punch” is of the liquid variety. 🙂

However, as Gandhi says … “Hate the sin but not the sinner.” That bloke was more “Christian” than a lot of us Catholics (er Christians). Oh! BTW how did Nicholas handle Arius? Forgive my ignorance.
I could go fer a jug o’ that!

Unless I’m mistaken (which is entirely likely), according to Fr. Mitch Pacwa (right or wrong, that’s where I heard what I thought I heard), when Arius refused to acknowledge Christ’s divinity (St.) Nicholas stood up and decked him! Out cold!!!

Unfortunately in the U.S. today the laws are more like “it’s okay to hate the sinner, but you must love the sin.”

Infuriating… :mad:
 
I could go fer a jug o’ that!
😃
Unless I’m mistaken (which is entirely likely), according to Fr. Mitch Pacwa (right or wrong, that’s where I heard what I thought I heard), when Arius refused to acknowledge Christ’s divinity (St.) Nicholas stood up and decked him! Out cold!!!
I’m sure it was metaphorically speaking …
Unfortunately in the U.S. today the laws are more like “it’s okay to hate the sinner, but you must love the sin.”

Infuriating… :mad:
The US leads the world in a lot of ways … I pray to God this is not one of them.

God Bless America.
 
Why do you guys think people make up outlandish lies about your church?

I understand disagreeing with your theology, but why do you think people (Jack Chick comes to mind} make things up, and I mean big, outlandish lies?

Also, why do you think so many people are willing to believe crazy stories about your faith?
No offence to you Reformed1, but Protestantism is founded upon untruths and conspiracy theories.

If it weren’t for these outlandish and baseless accusations Protestantism would have no basis. Its validity as a religion is dependant upon slandering The RCC. The more a Protestant slanders The RCC the more legitimacy it gives to their own beliefs.
 
Satan, plain and simple. I heard a Protestant minister once say “If I were Satan, and operating in the world today, the first thing I would do is attack the Church” (If he only knew how right he was…)

Satan wants nothing more than to destroy humankind. What better way to do it than to attack the Church that Jesus gave us (the Catholic Church), the Church that contains the Fullness of Truth, and the full and normal means given human beings by God to attain Salvation. I find it no coincidence that out of all the various denominations of Christianity, only the Catholic Church (not even the Orthodox Church, who has 7 valid Sacraments and an almost parallel Doctrine) suffers the constant attacks that it does, both from outside as well as within.

If the Catholic Church is truly what we say it is (the Church given to humans by Jesus, containing the fullness of Truth, and the full and normative means for humans to attain Salvation) then it would only make sense that it would suffer the attacks it does.
 
😃

I’m sure it was metaphorically speaking …

God Bless America.
Actually, from what I understand about St. Nicholas, this was very likely NOT metaphorically stated. It is entirely possible that it pretty much happened that way.

I am Catholic, and I love the Church, but sometimes history is what it is, and just as we have had Popes that were downright terrible, some of our Saints were often less than perfect.
 
Why do you guys think people make up outlandish lies about your church?

I understand disagreeing with your theology, but why do you think people (Jack Chick comes to mind} make things up, and I mean big, outlandish lies?

Also, why do you think so many people are willing to believe crazy stories about your faith?
“In a heretic who disbelieves one article of faith, no faith remains, either informed or uninformed.” - St. Thomas Aquinas II-II, Q. 5, A. 3.
 
No offence to you Reformed1, but Protestantism is founded upon untruths and conspiracy theories.

If it weren’t for these outlandish and baseless accusations Protestantism would have no basis. Its validity as a religion is dependant upon slandering The RCC. The more a Protestant slanders The RCC the more legitimacy it gives to their own beliefs.
Please educate yourself on how the reformation started.
 
Why do you guys think people make up outlandish lies about your church?

I understand disagreeing with your theology, but why do you think people (Jack Chick comes to mind} make things up, and I mean big, outlandish lies?

Also, why do you think so many people are willing to believe crazy stories about your faith?
Thank you for admitting that there are Protestants out there who spread lies about Catholicism in order to gain more members in their churches. When you’re dealing with a Church that has a history going back to the apostolic era, you need all the ammunition you have, including lies, in order to discredit it, especially when you belong to a church founded by - and even named after - a mere man.

God Bless,
Michael
 
Why do you guys think people make up outlandish lies about your church?

I understand disagreeing with your theology, but why do you think people (Jack Chick comes to mind} make things up, and I mean big, outlandish lies?

Also, why do you think so many people are willing to believe crazy stories about your faith?
  • Because we are a very big and therefore, easy target and because we hold unpopular views on abortion, euthanasia, marriage, sin etc.
 
  1. America is still a primarily Protestant nation. Catholics were not welcome in what later became the U.S. during its colonial period. That reality is changing fast, however, with mass immigration from Latin America.
  2. Catholicism has too much ‘baggage’, given its 2,000 years of existence. It’s too complicated for the average Catholic to understand, much less explain or defend in the face of Biblical fundie attacks. Biblical fundamentalism is much more simple to grasp as a type of Christianity, and therefore, much easier to defend and evangelize. That doesn’t make it ‘right’, of course, but just one of many interpretations of the Christian religion.
  3. Much of Catholic tradition appears to be in conflict with the Bible, even though it was the Catholic Church that decided in the 4th century what books would constitute the New Testament. The reason is the Bible is only part of Catholicism, and was never viewed as the ultimate standard against which the Church had to measure itself. Therefore, ever since the 4th century, the Church has actually allowed the rift between its traditions and the Bible to widen, never considering the book it assembled to ever be used against it. It’s complicated, like everything else.
  4. For those Christians who prefer simplicity of worship and belief to authority and ritual, Catholicism can be very unappealing. 🙂
 
Please educate yourself on how the reformation started.
The purpose of the reformation was to undo the damage done by the Roman Church, yes or no?

The more the reformers were able to “prove” that the RCC had manipulated the word of God the more people would see a necessity for the reformation. Their success as a religious movement was dependant upon their ability to discredit the Catholic Church.
 
I used to know in myself that I was anti-catholic…

and I still have a lot of issues and questions about theology, but I found that during the period of my life when I lost religion I also developed a prejudice against catholicism…

I’ve made a real effort to learn more about catholicism and have found that the RCC offers me answers that the protestant church does not

usually they’re not the answers that I want 🙂 but I’ve found that by engaging with my ideas about Catholicism I’ve kind of re-engaged with religion in general… and even though I’m still in conflict with it, I feel a lot better having got over my prejudices.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top