Anti Depressants OK

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mar044
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mar044

Guest
Two questions since they are related to each other,

what is the churches stance on anti depressants, the reasons I ask is some personal stuff with my moms mental health that has effected me for a long time and was thinking about going on them. Then again I’m afraid of all the things they say it causes, like the sin of hurting yourself as a side effect.

my other question

my mom had a breakdown a while ago and she refuses to take medication, but is it wrong to force a person to take it, even if they don’t want to hurt themselves. I don’t have anyone to turn to, our situation has got to the point where basically im alone, my moms friends are well not friends with her because of her breakdown and im a only child and since i have been taking care of her, i have lost touch of most of my friends…and im 27…

basically its me and my mom and the horror of whatever the next day brings. Basically god and faith has taken me this far but its been a while now and im tired…

my faith and my health have been failing, i have had some eye problems that i have had to take sick leave from my work…that i loved…and basically now they tell me I cant be a civil servant with so much time off and my eyesight…and the burden of 30 years taking care of my mom ahead of me. i feel a deep obligation to take care of my mom since their is nobody else and polish values teach us not to dump someone on a curb because its to hard.

Anyway if anyone knows what the church stance is, that would be helpful, and if an regulars know me, i been kinda blunt last little while, but its just the daily stress getting to me that has made me a bit…blunt…🙂

cheers
 
im gonna presume out of 43 people that looked at my situation, nobody knows what to do with me lol…sigh :confused: :(:nope:
 
The Church approves of getting psychological help, so in some cases that would mean antidepressants. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss in detail.
 
The Church approves of getting psychological help, so in some cases that would mean antidepressants. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss in detail.
maybe tomorrow, my mother has calmed down and considering its late, i get some peace for the few hours of the night it brings me. thnaks for your (name removed by moderator)ut 🙂
 
im gonna presume out of 43 people that looked at my situation, nobody knows what to do with me lol…sigh :confused: :(:nope:
Often people like to consider their response before giving it.

Antidepressants are a legitimate form of medical treatment and are morally acceptable.

The issue of forcing treatment on others is more complicated, both morally and legally. People can definitely be treated for psychological conditions against their will, if they are deemed mentally incapacitated. You’d have to investigate the legal and medical process for this in the country/state in which you live. And you should discuss the moral implications with your priest.
 
Often people like to consider their response before giving it.

Antidepressants are a legitimate form of medical treatment and are morally acceptable.

The issue of forcing treatment on others is more complicated, both morally and legally. People can definitely be treated for psychological conditions against their will, if they are deemed mentally incapacitated. You’d have to investigate the legal and medical process for this in the country/state in which you live. And you should discuss the moral implications with your priest.
unlike down south, canada does NOT allow you to force someone to take medication or even put them in a hospital unless they want to hurt others or hurt themselves, or have done those two things, it prevents for good reason, people from abusing the situation or criminally harming others. although sadly, it can be hard to help someone who thinks they are fine and thinks doctors are out to hurt them…
 
That’s tricky then.

Are you then thinking of something like slipping her medication into her food? I can’t think how else you might go about forcing this. To be frank, I’m not sure of the morality of doing this sort of thing. It would be best to discuss this with your priest.
 
That’s tricky then.

Are you then thinking of something like slipping her medication into her food? I can’t think how else you might go about forcing this. To be frank, I’m not sure of the morality of doing this sort of thing. It would be best to discuss this with your priest.
you can’t do that also because its considered assualt, i would but to be honest my church isn’t that warm, its rather large and when my moms grandmother died and we wanted a remembrance they made a point to say we had to be a member of the local church to have one…i even tried to talk to the priest who confirmed me after service but it was more of a handshake next routine…and havn’t really been back since…i just read the bible
 
So you seem to have answered your own question, haven’t you?
 
Taking anti-depressants is fine if you need them. (I’d be in deep trouble if they were a sin - I can’t function without mine).

As for help for your mom, my suggestion is to contact your local chapter of the Canadian Mental Health Association (here is the link to their main page, and you can find your local chapter from there). They can help you with finding resources and things like that, that may be of assistance for you. As far as I know, the majority of their programs are free.
 
I am on anti-depressants… speaking to the moral temptations I have found the Eucharist to be my shield and strength.
I am sorry your church seems uninviting. I know how hard it is to attend in that instance. I would however like to encourage you to return. Church is not first or foremost about being welcomed, but about your personal relationship with Christ through the Mass and the Eucharist.
Additionally, may I recommend developing a daily prayer to Mary, our mother… even if a Rosary is too much at this point, maybe start your day with a Hail Mary, gradually increasing over time.
I am bipolar and help my parents too. God is the ONLY one who keeps me sane. My father has MS and is wheelchair bound and also has PTSD, which the drugs he is on barely help. I will keep you in my prayers. (I consider my struggles time off in Purgatory ;))

:signofcross::signofcross:
 
Two questions since they are related to each other,

what is the churches stance on anti depressants, the reasons I ask is some personal stuff with my moms mental health that has effected me for a long time and was thinking about going on them. Then again I’m afraid of all the things they say it causes, like the sin of hurting yourself as a side effect.

my other question

my mom had a breakdown a while ago and she refuses to take medication, but is it wrong to force a person to take it, even if they don’t want to hurt themselves. I don’t have anyone to turn to, our situation has got to the point where basically im alone, my moms friends are well not friends with her because of her breakdown and im a only child and since i have been taking care of her, i have lost touch of most of my friends…and im 27…

basically its me and my mom and the horror of whatever the next day brings. Basically god and faith has taken me this far but its been a while now and im tired…

my faith and my health have been failing, i have had some eye problems that i have had to take sick leave from my work…that i loved…and basically now they tell me I cant be a civil servant with so much time off and my eyesight…and the burden of 30 years taking care of my mom ahead of me. i feel a deep obligation to take care of my mom since their is nobody else and polish values teach us not to dump someone on a curb because its to hard.

Anyway if anyone knows what the church stance is, that would be helpful, and if an regulars know me, i been kinda blunt last little while, but its just the daily stress getting to me that has made me a bit…blunt…🙂

cheers
Your mother should stay on her meds if that is what the Doctors say. If she needs it the Church has no objection.

You have to make a living. Since you have no help can she be institutionalized when necessary. Also, in America we have what is called " Senior Care " centers where you can drop off your loved one for the time you must be at work. Something to think about. Sorry life has been so tough for you. Prayers. 👍
 
I am on anti-depressants… speaking to the moral temptations I have found the Eucharist to be my shield and strength.
I am sorry your church seems uninviting. I know how hard it is to attend in that instance. I would however like to encourage you to return. Church is not first or foremost about being welcomed, but about your personal relationship with Christ through the Mass and the Eucharist.
Additionally, may I recommend developing a daily prayer to Mary, our mother… even if a Rosary is too much at this point, maybe start your day with a Hail Mary, gradually increasing over time.
I am bipolar and help my parents too. God is the ONLY one who keeps me sane. My father has MS and is wheelchair bound and also has PTSD, which the drugs he is on barely help. I will keep you in my prayers. (I consider my struggles time off in Purgatory ;))

:signofcross::signofcross:
thank you for your kind words, also to the person that gave me the link to the metal health website.

funny you should say but they are thinking the cause of my vision problem is multiple Sclerosis, but they arn’t sure yet as tests are ongoing, mri came back fine but other tests… but thank you for sharing, and its nice to know you and other posters are on the same thing I will end up on, and i’m not alone. I will pray for your father and hope his pain is lessened. I had that same thought also, my hardship will be rewarded when I meet the maker when I pass, good to get it out of the way now 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top