Anxiety/fear of Communion

  • Thread starter Thread starter EIF5A
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EIF5A

Guest
I took first Communion this past Easter Vigil.

But now I get nervous.

I don’t feel worthy. (After confessing my mortal sins, I guess I’m in a state of grace, although I still have venial sins.)

I don’t think I have enough holy fear of God and reverence for the Blessed Sacrament.

The Church says frequent Communion is a good thing, but how do I know I’m not receiving unworthily?

Today I accidentally drank coffee less than an hour before Eucharist. I remembered immediately after.

So negligent and unprepared.
 
I am about to receive my first communion. If you confess your sins to Christ in the presence of a priest and receive absolution and furthermore you did not commit any mortal sins before you received Communion then you know you are fine no matter how you feel. And that’s that.

Intention is very important. You didn’t intend to break the church’s rules on fasting. You’re still okay. If it troubled you I’d bring it up in confession next time and the priest will probably tell you the same thing.
 
Today I accidentally drank coffee less than an hour before Eucharist. I remembered immediately after. So negligent and unprepared.
Lighten up. It’s just a few days since your first Communion. You’ll soon get into the habit of observing the requirements without even needing to look at your watch.
 
Wow. Sorry you are having difficulty and encourage you to allow grace to be present in high amounts as you walk out your faith. God loves you (and us) in our imperfection.

Good luck in your continuing journey.
 
I took first Communion this past Easter Vigil.

But now I get nervous.

I don’t feel worthy. (After confessing my mortal sins, I guess I’m in a state of grace, although I still have venial sins.)

I don’t think I have enough holy fear of God and reverence for the Blessed Sacrament.

The Church says frequent Communion is a good thing, but how do I know I’m not receiving unworthily?

Today I accidentally drank coffee less than an hour before Eucharist. I remembered immediately after.

So negligent and unprepared.
The LORD knows what is in your heart, and I have zero doubt that He knows you did not drink coffee purposefully to violate the requirements. It was an accident. We all make mistakes. LORD knows I’ve made plenty. The fact you feel guilt at all means you are on the right path and your heart is in the right place. You’ll get the hang of things. Trust in GOD and His grace.
 
I took first Communion this past Easter Vigil.

But now I get nervous.

I don’t feel worthy. (After confessing my mortal sins, I guess I’m in a state of grace, although I still have venial sins.)

I don’t think I have enough holy fear of God and reverence for the Blessed Sacrament.

The Church says frequent Communion is a good thing, but how do I know I’m not receiving unworthily?

Today I accidentally drank coffee less than an hour before Eucharist. I remembered immediately after.

So negligent and unprepared.
Don’t be so hard on yourself. I have been Catholic for 6 years and it never fails during Lent that there will be one Friday I forget and eat meat. You will get used to it. Don’t expect to be perfect. You are on an ongoing journey. Jesus is happy to see you!
 
None of us are worthy of the gift of Jesus in the Eucharist. Keep in mind that it delights Him when we go to Him. We need Him;… accept the Gift of Himself in Holy Communion!

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom…Pray for us!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top