Any fitness gurus out there?

  • Thread starter Thread starter leonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a book you can check out Solitary Fitness by the violent criminal Charles Bronson. He wrote the book with a focus on staying healthy with a minimum of equipment and space.

Rosstraining.com also has some good books you can check out. I particularly like “Never Gymless” since it focuses on home based workouts with minimum equipment.

crossfit has a lot of free information and videos that you can use but just be careful not to go too crazy with it and get injured.

What about calling up your local high school and seeing if he can try out for the football team? If that is too much of a commitment then what about training and competing in a triathlon so that you can go at your own pace. Training is fun but I see it as a means to an end than. If you are building your skills to compete I find you are more likely to stick with the training and have more fun doing it.
 
I think I have something in common with your son! I don’t do sports well either, and I would love to just enjoy some beauty and not have a ‘class’ on fitness. It was always hard for me in school. I am a klutz and never could run as fast as the other kids. I loved to play 4 square at school recess, though. I got to make sure that the rules would be followed and fair even for the younger students. Maybe something like this could work out for your family. Is there an activity your son could ‘lead’ the younger children in? Could each child be responsible for planning one physical activity, including your son? Maybe he could come up with something fuctional or fun for him, or even just help the younger children hone their choices. Leadership and seeing the big picture is definitely a plus with some of us more theoretically minded people.

(Personally, I hate the idea of going to a gym or doing an exercise routine ‘just because’. I would much rather do something like dig and maintain a garden. It’s great exercise, you can be proud of what it looks like and what comes out of it, and it is a way to really see the beauty of God’s creation as you nurture it.)
 
Maybe this is a stretch…but could your teens pick up a more physical odd job (dog-walking, taking a baby for a walk when mom needs a nap, helping someone clean house) and put that income towards a physical activity they would like to try? A lot of gyms/fitness centers offer student rates, or they could contribute towards a family membership to the Y or similar community organization.

I don’t have any book recommendations - sorry! Do you think there might be someone in your parish community who could be a resource? Could either be someone who uses the gym regularly, or someone who works/worked in the physical fitness field - a phys. ed. teacher, trainer, perhaps even a physical therapist.

Good luck! I wish that my parents and school had pushed me towards finding a fitness activity that I enjoyed. I’m in my 20’s, and it’s definitely more of a challenge to fit exercise in!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top