Any Japanese converts out there?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ryan_Reeson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryan_Reeson

My wife is from japan and sruggles to understand my faith. How did you decide it was true for yourself?

Maybe you could ask Karl Keating from Catholic Answers. He has a Japanese wife (who I presume is Catholic?).

what was it that got you interested christianity, and what is SDA?
ryan

Ryan Reeson:
My wife is from japan and sruggles to understand my faith. How did you decide it was true for yourself?
Ryan,

Ask your wife (or is it you?) why she thinks the faith difference is a function of a national/racial difference. In other words, what does the fact that she’s from Japan have to do with not understanding your faith? There are Japanese Catholics, and non-Japanese non-Catholics. I would encourage the two of you to put aside the “Japanese issue” and deal with the faith one. You might suggest she buy a good book in Japanese on Catholicism. Reading an apologia on Catholicism in her native language can break down barriers.

(BTW, I know a thing or two about Japan. Forward my name to your wife: she’ll get it.)

my prayers for greater spiritual unity between you and your wife.

See if you can find a book entitled “The Smile of a Ragpicker” by Paul Glynn (ISBN 0 949807 82 6). It’s hard to find in America but I believe it is still in print in Australia.

It is the story of the conversion journey of Satoko Kitahara in post World War II Japan. Glynn does an excellent job of describing Japanese faith and how Satoko came to find truth in the Catholic Church. It is an absolutely fantastic book for someone in your situation. It may not be easy to get, but you will be rewarded for it! Good luck!

BTW, Satoko Kitahara was hopefully to be presented for investigation and possible Beatification. Does anyone know her status?

My conversion happened in** Japan!** My family moved there when I was two years old. At age three I attended a Catholic pre-school run by the Nuns of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. They were all Japanese. We would attend Chapel once a week…and it was there, with the REAL PRESENCE that God caught my attention. I was unable to explain my attraction to the Church - I just knew that I needed to become Catholic…and did so when I was thirty six years old! (okay, okay, so I am a slow learner!) My Masonic family has been none too pleased, but my prayer is that they too, one day, will come to know Christ in the fullness of the Church. God Bless - Ri-chi Anne (my Japanese name)

Ryan Reeson:
what was it that got you interested christianity, and what is SDA?
ryan
SDA, Seventh-day Adventist, a type of Protestant.

I first became interested in religion because I like to question things like the meaning of life, how the universe came to be, etc. I grow bored of the “things of this world” very easily.

I came to Christianity after researching all of the religions in the world because only Christianity fell into logical sense.

And I came home to the Catholic Church because after reading the Bible, I found that the Bible essentially “reeked” of Catholicism. That is to say, the faith of the Apostles was very Catholic.

I’m an American who lives in Japan, is married to a Japanese, and converted to the Church here in Japan, so…does that make me a Japanese convert? 🙂

My husband and I are going to have a Japanese exchange student living with us for the 2004-2005 school year (high school). We don’t know much about her, but we THINK she has been going to Catholic school and she stated that she was an “active Catholic” in her application. We’ve shared a few e-mails and we told her that we were new to the religion and will be attending RCIA soon. I wish I could give you her exact words, but she is happy to be a part of our experience as much as we are happy to help her with adjusting to “the WESTERN world experience” Her parents have sent us an e-mail and I hope to learn more about their “journey” in the near future.

Nervous and excited!
Michelle

Ryan and all,

My Japanese wife and I were together for 13 years before she decided to convert. Though I’ve always thought of her as a far more saintly person than myself, I believe that it was my constancy in faith, not holiness, and the Holy Spirit that first drew her to the faith. She herself has continued to be a regular churchgoer and believer, since her conversion.

I never worried, I never pressed, but I did pray for her conversion for many years. Of course, I was delighted when she finally decided to prepare for her baptism into the church.

My wife was typical of many Japanese when it came to religion. She didn’t think deeply about religion and never studied it, but rather followed the traditions of those around her and found it easy to move between religions, without really getting involved. Born in Shintoism, marry in Christianity and die in Buddhism. I remember staying in a devout Catholic’s home, every evening she would pray before a Buddhist shrine and then move over and pray before her Catholic shrine.

Thank you Charles for the information on the book “The Smile of a Ragpicker”, I’ve just ordered the book through “Abebooks”.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back