Any non-Catholic that has performed miracles?

• Thread starter Thread starter moas
  • Start date Start date
M

moas

Hi, from what I understand, a saints miracles are like God’s stamp of approval.

Are there any miracles or supernatural event that is recognized by the Catholic Church that is associated with a person who hasn’t died Catholic? If not, what would be the closest? Someone like Rasputin? Thanks.

Someone like Rasputin? Thanks.
Rasputin was not of good character, became a monk, stayed married, fornicated as a deception for healing, , defrauded and the list goes on.

Please do not hold Rasputin up as any type of role model.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to someone who is NOT Catholic, and out of all non-Catholics within the criteria I set forth, that was the only name I could think of at the moment. That’s it.

@The27thPsalm Thanks for sharing! I learned something really insightful today with that Marian apparition. I guess it isn’t attributed to a single person, but it will definitely serve as something in my arsenal to pull from when presenting miracles that would be hard to debunk.

I’m sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to someone who is NOT Catholic, and out of all non-Catholics within the criteria I set forth, that was the only name I could think of at the moment. That’s it.
I understand. He is still not a good role model for anyone, Catholic or non Catholic.

Are you looking for miracles from people who converted after their miracle also?

Zeitoun is an amazing miracle, so many witnessed.

Last edited:
All miracles in the Old Testament are recognised by the Catholic Church and were performed by non-Catholics, obviously, since the Catholic Church did not then exist.

A bit more doubtful are miracles performed by the Buddha, who is a Catholic saint: Barlaam and Josaphat. Though he was relegated to secondary status in 1969.

Are there any miracles or supernatural event that is recognized by the Catholic Church that is associated with a person who hasn’t died Catholic? If not, what would be the closest? Someone like Rasputin? Thanks
I recall a few years ago that it miraculously stopped raining when Trump was being sworn in as President. I’m sure there are some similarities between Trump and Rasputin. He isn’t Catholic. I don’t know if the Catholic church recognized the miracle.

I recall a few years ago that it miraculously stopped raining when Trump was being sworn in as President. I’m sure there are some similarities between Trump and Rasputin. He isn’t Catholic. I don’t know if the Catholic church recognized the miracle.
It is really a stretch to call that a miracle. There could be any number of reasons that rain would suddenly stop. It was raining where I live this morning, quite heavily at times, but by mid-morning the sun was out and it was nice and warm.

Still, though, if the rain stopped to show God’s favor with Trump being sworn in, that is not quite the same thing as “a non-Catholic performing a miracle”. Melania is Catholic. Does that count?

I just get the feeling that one of these days, possibly after he leaves office, Trump will convert to Catholicism. I don’t have a thing to back that up, it’s just a feeling I get. Melania, flawed though her past may have been (everybody’s past is flawed in some way), seems to be basically a good person, and she may have a good influence upon DJT.

Hi, from what I understand, a saints miracles are like God’s stamp of approval.

Are there any miracles or supernatural event that is recognized by the Catholic Church that is associated with a person who hasn’t died Catholic? If not, what would be the closest? Someone like Rasputin? Thanks.
God performs many miracles daily all over the world through Christian people of all different faiths. The miracle itself is God’s stamp of approval. What more do you need?

God performs many miracles daily all over the world through Christian people of all different faiths. The miracle itself is God’s stamp of approval. What more do you need?
The person is asking about miracles “specifically recognized by the Catholic Church.

The Church doesn’t usually recognize any miracles that are not associated with either Catholics or, occasionally, with one of the Orthodox churches.

That doesn’t mean that God couldn’t cause such a miracle to happen, just that the Church probably wouldn’t give it official recognition. The Church is generallly not in the business of giving official endorsements to non-Catholic religions (with the possible exception being the Orthodox churches) and officially endorses only a small subset of the alleged miracles associated with Catholics. Such endorsements usually require the Church to spend money on some type of investigation, and it’s not going to be able to investigate every purported miracle out there.

As for “what more do you need,” the person is asking a question about the Catholic Church on a Catholic forum. I presume based on your posting history that you are not a Catholic, so please follow the rules of the forum and be respectful to Catholic beliefs.

Last edited:
The OP left it open with the statement “if not, what is the closest?”

If the post was specifically meant for Catholics only and non-Catholics are not invited to respond, why is it placed in the non-Catholic Religions section?

The OP left it open with the statement “if not, what is the closest?”
It’s not a case of “if not”. The Catholic Church has to some degree recognized some miracles associated with Eastern Orthodox churches and saints.
Eastern Orthodox churches are not Catholic. (And some of them would be highly insulted if we tried to say they were.)
So there is no “If not”.
If the post was specifically meant for Catholics only and non-Catholics are not invited to respond, why is it placed in the non-Catholic Religions section?
??? I don’t know where you’re getting this from. The poster I responded to said that miracles were endorsed by God and “what more do you need”.
The OP was not asking about miracles with God’s purported stamp of approval. He was asking about what miracles the Church recognized,which is a different question.

Anyone can respond to the thread, but they should answer the OP’s question and cite a miracle associated with a non-Catholic church or person that is officially recognized by the Catholic Church. If it was just a question about “do other churches have miracles”, well, lots of them claim to have miracles…the Catholic Church doesn’t officially recognize them though.

And don’t throw in statements like “what more do you need?” That’s borderline disrespectful to both the Church and the OP who asked a reasonable question. I chose to point that out instead of flagging the poster.

Last edited:
It depends on how one reads and understands the question. To me there is an “if not.” There is a person who performed miracles and did not die a Catholic and the CC recognizes. His name was Jesus.

The Church considers Jesus to be God. He is not just a human who performed miracles. The OP also clearly wasn’t looking to engage in a theological discussion about whether Jesus was a Catholic when he asked his question. Jesus is the King of the Universe, we are his original Church, and we are not the ones who broke away and moved farther from him.

As this is veering off topic, this is my last response on this matter.

“Any non-Catholic that has performed miracles?”
Yes. There are reports of such.
Are there any miracles or supernatural event that is recognized by the Catholic Church that is associated with a person who hasn’t died Catholic?
I know of the reports that Gautama Buddha has performed many miracles, but I don’t think that these have been approved by the Roman Catholic church.
The Twin miracle and the miraculous rain:
Buddha levitates and when he returns to the ground it rains only on those who wanted to get wet.
Buddha ascended to heaven to converse with his deceased mother.
Buddha puts out a forest fire raging around the monks.
Buddha shakes the earth and brings forth rays of light.
Buddha crosses a river by levitation so that he does not have to pay a fee to the ferryman.

Last edited:
The Buddha is officially a Catholic Saint.
OK. I didn’t know that he was officially canonized as a Catholic Saint. Does the Catholic Church also vouch for the authenticity of his miracles?

Before the church pronounces a miracle, there is exhaustive investigation. Why would the church spend time, money, and talent investigating someone who wasn’t Catholic? If they belonged to another religion, shouldn’t that group be the ones to investigate?

I referenced the Catholic Encyclopedia in my post #6, above. That says the same as Wikipedia:
The story is a Christianized version of one of the legends of Buddha, as even the name Josaphat would seem to show. This is said to be a corruption of the original Joasaph, which is again corrupted from the middle Persian Budasif (Budsaif=Bodhisattva).
I assume the Catholic Encyclopedia is reasonably authoritative on who is, and who is not, a Catholic saint.

Last edited:
…Buddha, who is a Catholic saint:…
Perhaps it is not too surprising that a Catholic saint such as Buddha would be able to perform miracles. However, there are reports of non-Catholics performing miracles. For example, the many miracles of Lord Sri Krishna:
  1. When Lord Krishna was 7 years old, he lifted a mountain (26 miles in perimeter) and held it up on his pinky finger for consecutive 7 days. This was witnessed by tens of thousands of people who were standing underneath the mountain.
  2. Lord Krishna brought back to life many dead people including the six children of Devaki.
    And many other miracles:
    Miracles of Lord Sri Krishna

Back