Any other fans of the Baltimore Catechisms?

• Thread starter Thread starter Flopfoot
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flopfoot

The Baltimore Catechisms were the first I had, before I got my CCC. They are in Q&A format (Bal. Cat. 2 has 421 questions). I found them very useful as a starting point for learning more and getting clarifications on the basic points of my faith. Also, even after getting the CCC, I still find the Baltimore a lot simpler to read in some cases. (Although I wish they wouldn’t write out the question and also put the question in the answer, end up reading everything twice). Any other fans of the Baltimore? Anyone want a copy? I’ve got it in text format, only 116KB, PM me and I’ll email you a copy.

40.png
Flopfoot:
The Baltimore Catechisms were the first I had, before I got my CCC. They are in Q&A format (Bal. Cat. 2 has 421 questions). I found them very useful as a starting point for learning more and getting clarifications on the basic points of my faith. Also, even after getting the CCC, I still find the Baltimore a lot simpler to read in some cases. (Although I wish they wouldn’t write out the question and also put the question in the answer, end up reading everything twice). Any other fans of the Baltimore? Anyone want a copy? I’ve got it in text format, only 116KB, PM me and I’ll email you a copy.
Our family used this resource in homeschooling for many years. We were most pleased.

David Zampino:
Our family used this resource in homeschooling for many years. We were most pleased.
Same here, most recently with our youngest, who is now ten. We made index “memory” cards to help him memorize the answers. We supplemented this with the fine catechetical series “Faith and Life” available from *Catholics United for The Faith * (www.cuf.org)). As a result, he knows more facts about the Faith than most Catholic adults I know. Combined with good parental example and instruction in holiness and virtue, it is an unsurpassed catechetical aid. A one hour a week investment of your time for your child will reap eternal rewards.

The redundancy you noted is intended as an aid to learning, and it works.

40.png
Fidelis:
Same here, most recently with our youngest, who is now ten. We made index “memory” cards to help him memorize the answers. We supplemented this with the fine catechetical series “Faith and Life” available from *Catholics United for The Faith * (www.cuf.org)). As a result, he knows more facts about the Faith than most Catholic adults I know. Combined with good parental example and instruction in holiness and virtue, it is an unsurpassed catechetical aid. A one hour a week investment of your time for your child will reap eternal rewards.

The redundancy you noted is intended as an aid to learning, and it works.
We used “Faith and Life” as well!

A Sacrament is an outward sign instituted by Christ to give grace…

I think I learned that 45 years ago or so.

Unfortunately, youth these days are not learning all these things, Catholic schools aren’t as Catholic as they used to be. A lot of my friends wouldn’t know most of the stuff in these Catechisms.

40.png
mdzialo1:

And it’s still true. 👍

When I conducted an apologetics class at our parish recently, a lot of the older folks lamented the fact that they didn’t know much about their faith. I told them they probably knew more than they thought they did. I asked them to complete the statement “A sacrament is an outward sign,…” Smiles broke out around the room as several of them easily finished the sentence. I told them the BC had given them all a good foundation. Now all they needed to do was build upon it. 🙂

40.png
mdzialo1:

Makes me smile everytime I hear that…we need more of this type of memorization - - and what a great way to connect the generations. Memorize the basics so we all have a common understanding, and then begin the process of digging deeper to enrich our understanding. Problem is that many people today have no basline of knowledge to even begin with.

40.png
Flopfoot:
I was raised on t he Baltimore Catechism.

“WHY WERE YOU CREATED?”

The BC’s answer to that was worth price of admission alone.

I think that many people are longing to at least have someone attempt to answer that question.

So, what’s the answer folks?:hmmm:

Verbum Caro said:
“WHY WERE YOU CREATED?”

The BC’s answer to that was worth price of admission alone.

I think that many people are longing to at least have someone attempt to answer that question.

So, what’s the answer folks?:hmmm:

To know, love and serve the Lord in this life, and to be happy with Him in the next.

I love the Baltimore Catechism. It is straightforward, which makes it easy to learn the practical things you need to know about the Faith. The simple Question/Answer format is great for evangelization. I would encourage everyone to learn it.

Well, I was also raised with the Baltimore Catechism throughout my schooldays 50 years ago in Canada. ! Loved it all and still remember many of those answers !

Many CCD programs ban the Baltimore Catechism and now focus on mushy touchy-feeling type series under the notion that these will make the faith more “meaningful” to young people. But the Baltimore Catechism is consise and thorough and instills discipline and knowledge in those who learn its contents. The Baltimore Catechism along with “The Image of God” series by Ignatius Press serve as an excellent resource for Catholics of all ages to learn their faith

Our Church has told us that we should not purchase or read any Tan books- nor use the Baltimore Catechism. Something about since Vatican II it isn’t to be followed anymore.

Has anyone else been told this? And if you have, do you think it is wise? To me it seems that they are trying to get people to forget the ways of old…I guess personally, I don’t know if we should. But that’s just my opninion.

40.png
tossolul:
Our Church has told us that we should not purchase or read any Tan books- nor use the Baltimore Catechism. Something about since Vatican II it isn’t to be followed anymore.
I am sorry to hear such propaganda.

40.png
tossolul:

Has anyone else been told this? And if you have, do you think it is wise? To me it seems that they are trying to get people to forget the ways of old…I guess personally, I don’t know if we should. But that’s just my opninion.
I am very sorry to hear this. There are two issues here:
  1. I don’t recall anything in Vatican II which contradicts the Baltimore Catechism, nor do I recall anything in the Baltimore Catechism which contradicts Vatican II. Indeed, the “First Communion Preparation” edition of the Baltimore Catechism has been edited and re-formatted to conform with the modern liturgy. It sounds to me like a DRE is opposed to traditional Catholicism.
  2. Don’t purchase or even READ anything from TAN? That’s absurd. TAN publishes books faithful to the Magisterium of the Church, many with the Imprimatuer. Again, this sounds like a DRE with serious issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back