Any others feel this way

  • Thread starter Thread starter booksandmusic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know if the Mass at either of the parishes I attend are officially Teen Life Masses. Once used the Matt Maher type of music, and the other uses the same things the choir sings. Other than that, there’s not a lot of difference between the Masses.

Both have the same EMHCs so I can only guess at what I’d do, but I don’t think I’d care. I assumed you had to be at least 18…I think I saw that on the parish website, but that may be that pastor’s preference rather than a rule, and I might be confused.

I sure do agree about the way people dress. I wear the same business casual clothes I wear to work when I’m sitting in a pew, but I have ā€œchurch/funeral/wedding clothesā€ to wear when I’m going to be up front as the cantor or in the choir. I want the ushers, the EMHCs, the lectors, cantors and choir members to look like they made an effort because they’re part of something very special and important. I hate to see servers wearing jeans and sneakers, much less flip flops. I want the servers in black dress pants, black shoes and socks. That’s what the servers wore when I was in grade school, so that seems right to me. I want the women who cantor or sing in the choir to wear all black and the men to wear suits. Our male cantors wear suits, and the women are dressed appropriatly, but I hate to see women without hose. Bare legs and high heels don’t work in my mind because my mother would have hated it and it hurts!

It’s easy to misread the writer’s intent here, and most people use a certain amount of shorthand when typing. I like sentences and don’t abbreviate much. I’ve been attacked and have had my feelings hurt when that wasn’t the intent. It takes me a long time to type up a response because I keep erasing things that may not say what I had in mind.
 
I will think twice before posting anything again.
Please continue to post and here’s why …

Imagine all of us in this thread were sitting at your kitchen table having coffee, tea, hot chocolate and chatting. You brought up something that has obvisiouly been bothering you because you can’t stop wondering about your reaction. So, all of us here at the table with you (sitting around in this thread), are just discussing it with you. Remember it isn’t the same as having someone looking at you and your ability to hear how they state what they want to say in the tone of voice they mean it. Unlike the kitchen table, you’re reading the posts with your own tone of voice and that will alter the way its delivered.

So … Imagine I’m sitting next to you cracking jokes and carefree when you bring this up and you make me stop and ponder a serious thought. What you’ve got coming is just that, a serious thought about a really interesting situation and your unique response to it.

There’s no judgement in my voice as I begin …
My husband and I attended a Lifeteen mass last Sunday evening. I will be the first to admit, I like the more traditional mass much better, but given the choice of missing Sunday mass altogether, or going to the Lifeteen mass, we choose to go.
You and I both! I prefer the traditional mass but am glad to see the church do what they need to in order to keep the kids interested, but every time I find myself at one of those masses I wish I had read my bulletin more carefully so I got up earlier to skip it! šŸ˜‰
I was ok with everything up until communion. When I saw that the majority of the lay ministers that were giving out communion were teenagers, I whispered to my husband that I would not take communion from a teenager. I was going to wait and get at the end of the line for our Priest. Thank goodness, an older man came to the front of our line to hand out communion. I have a very strong feeling about it even after I have had a few days to ponder my reaction. I still will not take communion from a teenager. I am just getting to the point where I am comfortable taking it from lay people to begin with.
Confession time … I’ve had a lay minister I’ve avoided in the past for other than ā€œageā€ reasons. I took that into confession and spoke to my priest about it. He said I’m still human and will have my preferences, just like some people choose a private confession over a face-to-face one like we were having; and some will go to different parishes for the Sacrament to see another priest instead of him. There is no sin in that, only a preference.
I am not sure how old they were or what their training has been. I am assuming it was all within regulations. At our regular masses, there is always older people handing out communion.
If this happens again? Just imagine all the other things those same kids could be doing instead of ministering the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. Being a former teacher I’m sure you’re very aware of al the trouble kids can get into. See that instead and then let your imagination wander if you may be receiving it from a future priest, deacon, nun or DRE. Imagine Christ within them.
Maybe the fact that I did teach high school is a factor in my not being comfortable with it. šŸ˜‰
To dismiss your years of dedication to the youth would be unwise. You can’t help to be what you are so don’t worry about owning it. I have years of military behind me and when I make reference to it when discussing politics, people have to respect that this is part of what makes me ā€œMEā€, as teaching had become a part of ā€œYOUā€.
I think some of my feelings probably had to do with the very casual way they were dressed. I don’t mind dressing casual for mass, but beyond casual (cutoffs, t-shirts, flip-flops) maybe was a little too easy going for knowing you were going to be a lay minister. Just my opinion…
Whatever it was it was your feelings. Everyone is allowed to feel as they do. There is no right or wrong when it comes to ā€œfeelingsā€ … its emotionally driven.
If they are of legal age, the first thing that comes to mind is Paul’s advice to Timothy: ā€œLet no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.ā€

I’ll grant that Timothy was probably older than 18, but apparently he was considered by some ā€œtoo youngā€ for his office.
This is a great example to point out. This passage shows great advice for anyone in their youth taking on responsibility. I’ll have to point this passage out to my daughter (17 years old) who’s in a rare position of teaching CCD at her age. She deals with this from the parents who drop their kids off.

This happens all the time when someone young comes into a company where older workers work and having to deal with it there. When I was first in the military I was 17. I picked up rank fast and was a senior enlisted at a younger age with older subordinates below me. That makes it difficult because automatically you’re discredited because of your age.

What’s funny these days is now I am part of the older crowd so when I see the younger managers I’m a little ā€œweirdedā€ about and have to remember back when I was in their position.

PS … to answer your question I don’t know how I’d feel. I couldn’t say I’d feel differently.
 
Hi all,

I want to see if my reaction to a situation was just me, or if other people would react like I did.

My husband and I attended a Lifeteen mass last Sunday evening. I will be the first to admit, I like the more traditional mass much better, but given the choice of missing Sunday mass altogether, or going to the Lifeteen mass, we choose to go. I was ok with everything up until communion. When I saw that the majority of the lay ministers that were giving out communion were teenagers, I whispered to my husband that I would not take communion from a teenager. I was going to wait and get at the end of the line for our Priest. Thank goodness, an older man came to the front of our line to hand out communion. I have a very strong feeling about it even after I have had a few days to ponder my reaction. I still will not take communion from a teenager. I am just getting to the point where I am comfortable taking it from lay people to begin with.

I am not here to say what is right or wrong, nor to bash teens. I taught middle and high school for 10 years. I am also a parent and grandmother. I understand kids…but I don’t understand my strong reaction I had at mass.

Would love to hear from others that have had similar reactions, or to tell me if I am all alone with this feeling.

God Bless
If you are in fact ā€œOKā€ with attending a TeenLife Mass, you should have no problem whatsoever with the concept of youthful ministers of every type.

An EMHC is an EMHC, is an EMHC. Regardless of age, gender or sexual preference, whether attired in a business suit, wetsuit or pajama bottom, baptized or confirmed, Mormon or Muslim - they all have EXACTLY THE SAME AUTHORITY to distribute Holy Communion in a Catholic Church.

Anyone who suggests seeking spiritual advice from a pastor who is responsible for turning his sanctuary into an upholstered playpen is wasting their talent by not doing stand-up comedy.

Questions?
 
If you are in fact ā€œOKā€ with attending a TeenLife Mass, you should have no problem whatsoever with the concept of youthful ministers of every type.

An EMHC is an EMHC, is an EMHC. Regardless of age, gender or sexual preference, whether attired in a business suit, wetsuit or pajama bottom, baptized or confirmed, Mormon or Muslim - they all have EXACTLY THE SAME AUTHORITY to distribute Holy Communion in a Catholic Church.

Anyone who suggests seeking spiritual advice from a pastor who is responsible for turning his sanctuary into an upholstered playpen is wasting their talent by not doing stand-up comedy.

Questions?
Actually, you are wrong. The Church has guidelines regarding EMHCs. According to Redemptionis Sacramentum:
  1. The Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion
    [154.] As has already been recalled, ā€œthe only minister who can confect the Sacrament of the Eucharist in persona Christi is a validly ordained Priestā€.254 Hence the name ā€œminister of the Eucharistā€ belongs properly to the Priest alone. Moreover, also by reason of their sacred Ordination, the ordinary ministers of Holy Communion are the Bishop, the Priest and the Deacon,255 to whom it belongs therefore to administer Holy Communion to the lay members of Christ’s faithful during the celebration of Mass. In this way their ministerial office in the Church is fully and accurately brought to light, and the sign value of the Sacrament is made complete.
[155.] In addition to the ordinary ministers there is the formally instituted acolyte, who by virtue of his institution is an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion even outside the celebration of Mass. If, moreover, reasons of real necessity prompt it, another lay member of Christ’s faithful may also be delegated by the diocesan Bishop, in accordance with the norm of law,256 for one occasion or for a specified time, and an appropriate formula of blessing may be used for the occasion. This act of appointment, however, does not necessarily take a liturgical form, nor, if it does take a liturgical form, should it resemble sacred Ordination in any way. Finally, in special cases of an unforeseen nature, permission can be given for a single occasion by the Priest who presides at the celebration of the Eucharist.257
[156.] This function is to be understood strictly according to the name by which it is known, that is to say, that of extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, and not ā€œspecial minister of Holy Communionā€ nor ā€œextraordinary minister of the Eucharistā€ nor ā€œspecial minister of the Eucharistā€, by which names the meaning of this function is unnecessarily and improperly broadened.
[157.] If there is usually present a sufficient number of sacred ministers for the distribution of Holy Communion, extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion may not be appointed. Indeed, in such circumstances, those who may have already been appointed to this ministry should not exercise it. The practice of those Priests is reprobated who, even though present at the celebration, abstain from distributing Communion and hand this function over to laypersons.258
[158.] Indeed, the extraordinary minister of Holy Communion may administer Communion only when the Priest and Deacon are lacking, when the Priest is prevented by weakness or advanced age or some other genuine reason, or when the number of faithful coming to Communion is so great that the very celebration of Mass would be unduly prolonged.259 This, however, is to be understood in such a way that a brief prolongation, considering the circumstances and culture of the place, is not at all a sufficient reason.
According to Ecclesia de Mysterio:
  1. Extraordinary ministers may distribute Holy Communion at eucharistic celebrations only when there are no ordained ministers present or when those ordained ministers present at a liturgical celebration are truly unable to distribute Holy Communion.(99) They may also exercise this function at eucharistic celebrations where there are particularly large numbers of the faithful and which would be excessively prolonged because of an insufficient number of ordained ministers to distribute Holy Communion. (100)
This function is supplementary and extraordinary (101) and must be exercised in accordance with the norm of law. It is thus useful for the diocesan bishop to issue particular norms concerning extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion which, in complete harmony with the universal law of the Church, should regulate the exercise of this function in his diocese. Such norms should provide, amongst other things, for matters such as the instruction in eucharistic doctrine of those chosen to be extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion, the meaning of the service they provide, the rubrics to be observed, the reverence to be shown for such an august Sacrament and instruction concerning the discipline on admission to Holy Communion.
With all due respect, your comments lead me to believe that you do not have any idea of what constitutes serving as an EMHC. Only an adult Catholic in good standing should serve as an EMHC. This means that the Catholic has to hold all of the tenents of the Faith and be of good moral character.
 
Hi all,

I want to see if my reaction to a situation was just me, or if other people would react like I did.

My husband and I attended a Lifeteen mass last Sunday evening. I will be the first to admit, I like the more traditional mass much better, but given the choice of missing Sunday mass altogether, or going to the Lifeteen mass, we choose to go. I was ok with everything up until communion. When I saw that the majority of the lay ministers that were giving out communion were teenagers, I whispered to my husband that I would not take communion from a teenager. I was going to wait and get at the end of the line for our Priest. Thank goodness, an older man came to the front of our line to hand out communion. I have a very strong feeling about it even after I have had a few days to ponder my reaction. I still will not take communion from a teenager. I am just getting to the point where I am comfortable taking it from lay people to begin with.

I am not here to say what is right or wrong, nor to bash teens. I taught middle and high school for 10 years. I am also a parent and grandmother. I understand kids…but I don’t understand my strong reaction I had at mass.

Would love to hear from others that have had similar reactions, or to tell me if I am all alone with this feeling.

God Bless
Why? I just try to follow the Church. If the lay minister is properly prepared per Church guidelines and if they are used in a manner approved by the Church that’s it for me.

I won’t descriminate by age, nationality, sex or anything else that’s not germane to the sanctity of the sacrament.
 
I do not mind age so much as conduct. There is mention of how casual the attire was. That’s part of conduct. And the OP also taught high school for a number of years. It isn’t a lie to say that many young people lack understanding of respect. However, it really comes down to individual cases when it’s a personal interaction.

Personally, I have no problem with age. I have seen older ladies that are very prime and proper that seems to be a little off on the reverence. And I have seen younger people do the same or worst. However, there are also great people that can show proper reverence well.

I would prefer, like the Op, to receive from a priest or a deacon than a layperson. Not that I have a problem with anyone or myself, who is a layperson. But it makes sense since they are the ordinary ministers.
 
Hi all,

I want to see if my reaction to a situation was just me, or if other people would react like I did.

My husband and I attended a Lifeteen mass last Sunday evening. I will be the first to admit, I like the more traditional mass much better, but given the choice of missing Sunday mass altogether, or going to the Lifeteen mass, we choose to go. I was ok with everything up until communion. When I saw that the majority of the lay ministers that were giving out communion were teenagers, I whispered to my husband that I would not take communion from a teenager. I was going to wait and get at the end of the line for our Priest. Thank goodness, an older man came to the front of our line to hand out communion. I have a very strong feeling about it even after I have had a few days to ponder my reaction. I still will not take communion from a teenager. I am just getting to the point where I am comfortable taking it from lay people to begin with.

I am not here to say what is right or wrong, nor to bash teens. I taught middle and high school for 10 years. I am also a parent and grandmother. I understand kids…but I don’t understand my strong reaction I had at mass.

Would love to hear from others that have had similar reactions, or to tell me if I am all alone with this feeling.

God Bless
I understand what you mean.
 
Thank you all for your most sincere and honest replies.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn’t that important, really. I tend to lapse into ā€¦ā€œwhy can’t mass be like it was when I was a kidā€ every once in a while. I guess I just happened to fall back into it during mass last week. I really do believe most of my difficulty with the young lay ministers is that I have been a high school teacher. It was hard for me to automatically see them as someone who could administer communion.

An easy solution to this problem will be to get going to an earlier mass.

I have learned much from this site the short time I have been around (mostly lurking) and I look forward to continuing to learn about my faith.

God Bless
 
I’m 31, a recent convert, and I completely see where you’re coming from. Overall I definitley prefer to receive from a priest over an EMHC, let alone a badly dressed one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top