Any Parish following this part of the GIRM?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ham1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Ham1:
Clearly, the GIRM dictates an alb for lectors and cantors and not a cassock and surplice.

My parish does the same thing with altar servers which I think is great. The boys wear a cassock and surplice and the girls wear an alb with cincture. The other thing that I like is that the servers are either all boys or all girls. They are never mixed.

Also, the GIRM clearly spells out the role of EM’s and DOES NOT specify any liturgical garb for them. I agree such a thing would be VERY confusing.
Not true.

“339. In the dioceses of the United States of America, acolytes, altar servers, lectors, and other lay ministers may wear the alb or other suitable vesture or other appropriate and dignified clothing.”

Other suitable vesture could well be a cassock and surplice.

I’ll add another wrinkle. The wearing of a Roman collar (within the context of the litugy) is in no way limited to bishops, deacons, priests or seminarians. It’s quite common to see boys as young as 8-10 years old wearing Roman collars with their cassocks and surplices.

It’s the stole not the Roman collar that is the marque of ordination. Of course not all know this, and an adult male altar server wearing a Roman collar would indee cause some confusion.

40.png
Crusader:
Not true.

“339. In the dioceses of the United States of America, acolytes, altar servers, lectors, and other lay ministers may wear the alb or other suitable vesture or other appropriate and dignified clothing.”

Other suitable vesture could well be a cassock and surplice.

I’ll add another wrinkle. The wearing of a Roman collar (within the context of the litugy) is in no way limited to bishops, deacons, priests or seminarians. It’s quite common to see boys as young as 8-10 years old wearing Roman collars with their cassocks and surplices.

It’s the stole not the Roman collar that is the marque of ordination. Of course not all know this, and an adult male altar server wearing a Roman collar would indee cause some confusion.
Thanks, I stand corrected.

As for the roman collar, aren’t the vestments of the priest supposed to cover the roman collar completely?

I thought I remembered this from somewhere…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back