Any thoughts on St Elizabeth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Contra_Mundum_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Contra_Mundum_1

Guest
I sometimes like to get a patron saint for a specific cause or for a period of time to accompany me, and I pick one randomly via this cool site: jenniferfulwiler.com/saints/

People say that saints find us and not the other way around, so I pray to the Holy Spirit that the right person finds me. I’ve had some pretty amazing results, where the given saint perfectly corresponded to my needs of the time.

For this Lent I prayed and used the above system and got St Elizabeth, mother of St John the Baptist. I’m sure there is a lot she can teach me this lent, but I would appreciate some thoughts on what to look for, how to approach her, how to learn from her. I have never really thought much about her and am not sure if I’m missing something obvious when thinking about her example.
 
Thanks for the link. I was given the Blessed Virgin Mary and I had already decided to grow closer to her this Lent!
 
HI!

Over the summer I was feeling a little lonely, and one day I was in Adoration, praying the joyful mysteries, and during the second mystery, I had a profound experience of joy.

Maybe you can start there: Really pray the rosary slowly, and meditate on the Visitation.

When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, “Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.”
 
I had trouble conceiving a child. It took 7 years of marriage. I know Elizabeth was married and childless a lot longer than I was. There is something in the Bible about her pregnancy that says “with God nothing is impossible”. Maybe meditate on how areas in our lives can become unexpectedly fruitful.
 
You might imagine yourself having a conversation with Elizabeth and see what she has to tell you.
  • She was married to a man who was a priest at the temple. What was that like? Do you share any elements in terms of your marriage.
  • Luke says “they were righteous before God, living blamelessly according to all the commandments.” Can she give you any hints on living blamelessly and following the commandments?
  • Her husband was told all about his son by an angel. How did she feel about that? Did she also see an angel (though one isn’t described in Scripture). What was it like to know that her son would be filled with the Holy Spirit and would lead people toward God?
  • Her husband became mute after his encounter with the angel. What was that like for them? Was he normally a chatterbox or pretty quiet? (In other words, was his silence perhaps a relief, or did she miss being able to talk with him, or was he normally so quiet that you hardly noticed a difference)?
  • What was it like when she wasn’t able to become pregnant? Did she ever lose hope? Had she perhaps given up and moved on to other things in her life? How did she feel when she found out she was pregnant? Was she afraid? Delighted? A little bit of both?
  • What was it like when Mary came to visit her? What did they talk about? What were their hopes and dreams for their children?
  • Did her family and the Holy Family get together? What was it like to watch her son with Jesus? What was Jesus like as a child?
 
“Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”

I meditate on the wonder and humility in her question.
 
Thank you all for wonderful suggestions. This really struck something in me:
“Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”
I struggle with the rosary, going through periods where I pray it daily with ease, to struggling a bit and praying a few times a week, and periods when I just can’t do it at all. But I am drawn to Mary, I know that she will lead me to Jesus. Last year I did the Montfort consecration in order to grow closer to our Blessed Mother. Perhaps St Elizabeth is here to help me in this, since she knew her closely.

There is another thing that I’m wondering about. I have a young son, and since I was pregnant I’ve had a very strong feeling that I should pray for his priestly vocation. I was not raised in the faith and never really thought about religious vocation, so that nudge to pray for it was a surprise to me and I am pretty confident it came from God. I suppose I can ask her intercession about that, since she had a son who played a significant role in God’s plan.
 
St. Elizabeth had enormous faith in God.
She appreciated God’s mercy and kindness.
She praised God for giving her a son.
Elizabeth’s focus was on the Lord God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top