(LaSalle)
…I believe what the article says is that the discrepancy is caused because ‘anointing’ and ‘ascending’ is not differentiated.
(jmt) That’s what I understand the article to propose…Ahaziah was ‘anointed’ King at the age of 22 but didn’t ‘ascend’ the throne until age 42…but, like you, I find it hard to follow…
(LaSalle)
That may very well be so … but what was all that lineage for and how would that support the notion that the ‘discrepancy’ in scripture is due to not specifying ‘anointing’ and ‘ascending’?
(jmt) …searching the internet (with Google) for - Christian Apologetics how old Ahaziah - several articles come up with the explaination of a “copyist error” - which, like your Muslim friends, I find unsatisfactory. Looking for explainations which can account for both ages being correct I found the following:
geocities.com/brandplucked/22or42.html
and, again, after a very convoluted “comparing Scripture with Scripture” (which, again, I will have to spend much devoted time in the Word to research for understanding) I gather the following:
"Ahaziah was 42 years old as the final member of the house of Ahab, but only 22 years old physically as a son of Jehoram’
thus 2 Kings 8:26 is reckoning Ahaziah’s age in reference to his place in lineage as the final member of the house of Ahab (Ahab and his sons) to rule as kings:
The house of Ahab begins with Ahab who reigns 22 years over Israel, the Northern Kingdom.
Ahab’s son, Jehoram reigns after his father for 12 years over Israel, the Northern Kingdom.
the additional 8 years (to make 42) comes from Jehoram’s reign over Judah, the Southern Kingdom.
Thus, if I understand the article correctly, and I may not, so we’d have to double check this:
Ahab rules as king over the Southern Kingdon for 22 years.
His son, Jehoram, reigns as king over the Southern Kingdom for 12 years and over the Northern Kingdom for 8 years.
Ahaziah, at the physical age of 22 becomes king over the Southern Kingdom (in Jerusalem) during the 42 year of “the house of Ahab’s” rule.
Does this make sense?
It’ll be a while before I could go through the argument verse by verse but I think I understand the gist of it.
Keep the Faith
jmt