Anyone else ever have trouble with highlighting bible verses?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TeenageConvert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TeenageConvert

Guest
I kniow it’s not sacrilegous, but I just can’t bring myself to highlight a verse in my bible lol…I was wondering if anyone else was like this
 
I kniow it’s not sacrilegous, but I just can’t bring myself to highlight a verse in my bible lol…I was wondering if anyone else was like this
I don’t like to mark up my Bible either - I feel like it’s all important! I’m more likely to copy verses on to some other piece of paper, or print out the passage (I don’t mind marking up copies I’ve printed.

I did do a lot of underlining in my Bible years ago, probably when I was the age you are now, it’s interesting now to see what I marked then.

Some people keep one Bible for study/making notes/highlighting/underlining and another for reading/prayer.
 
I kniow it’s not sacrilegous, but I just can’t bring myself to highlight a verse in my bible lol…I was wondering if anyone else was like this
My husband was before he started grad school (for theology). He was shocked by my underlined/highlighted copy.
 
That’s why I keep more than one Bible. I would never dare mark my beautiful Ignatius RSV-2CE, but I also have a “dirty” Bible, a paperback copy of the “blue” Ignatius RSV-CE. That one’s marked.
 
I kniow it’s not sacrilegous, but I just can’t bring myself to highlight a verse in my bible lol…I was wondering if anyone else was like this
I sure do! 😛

As a small child, my parents taught me to NEVER mark in a book… then I was taught that the Bible was THE BIBLE… so I was even less comfortable with messing with it. :eek:

Ok, I have gotten over it. I had a small bible that I used JUST to highlight passages.

I had a Palm Pilot and added bibles from a website called ‘Olive Tree’. On the Palm, it was really easy to highlight and add notes to passages. 🙂

Unfortunately, I’m no longer able to use my Palm and on the BlackBerry, those features just don’t exist. 😦

I go back to something I used to do: get a small notepad and write notes and leave the slips of paper in the pages of the Bible. 😊
 
I just use a pencil to bracket the text from the margins. Bible paper would probably absorb a yellow highlighter all the way through. And since it’s pencil, marking doesn’t bother me when done in this way.
 
I just use a pencil to bracket the text from the margins. Bible paper would probably absorb a yellow highlighter all the way through. And since it’s pencil, marking doesn’t bother me when done in this way.
That is my experience, back when I was a protestant. FWIW, many evangelical book stores sell sets of dry highlight markers in different colors.

DaveBj
 
That’s why I keep more than one Bible. I would never dare mark my beautiful Ignatius RSV-2CE, but I also have a “dirty” Bible, a paperback copy of the “blue” Ignatius RSV-CE. That one’s marked.
I do this too - I have a study Bible that is all marked up with highlighter and notations, and a nice leather bound reading Bible that does not get marked up.
I just use a pencil to bracket the text from the margins. Bible paper would probably absorb a yellow highlighter all the way through. And since it’s pencil, marking doesn’t bother me when done in this way.
Bible bookshops sell special highlighters that are intended for this purpose so they don’t bleed through. You might have to look at a larger Protestant bookshop if you don’t have a Catholic shop with an extensive stock of different items.

I found these in a very simple Google search: cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=347865&vsl=0001

~Liza
 
not at all-- that is the reason for buying a low cost paperbound edition, but use markers made for the purpose. That is also why some study bibles are printed on paper that can take highlighting and underlining, rather than the thin paper used in “good” bibles. Personally I don’t do it any more because of the way I journal and do lectio divina. I no longer use that bible, for this reason. As I reread those books and chapters my eye tends to linger on the highlighted parts, with the danger I skip over the un-lined words and verses and so might miss what God is saying to me now. My first bible is highlighted and color coded with references to the Father, Christ, and Spirit, and some other themes. That was valuable then, not so helpful now. But I still use it when I want to quickly pick out some key passages, but it is no longer my reading bible.

If it helps you at this time find a low cost paper bound edition of the study bible translation you like, look for white acid-free paper (not newsprint type or onionskin) and buy at a Christian bookstore highlighters made for this purpose.
 
I go back to something I used to do: get a small notepad and write notes and leave the slips of paper in the pages of the Bible. 😊
I hate to tell you…

But adding too many slips of paper will break the spine of your Bible. 😊
 
I’m one of the people who has a study Bible (in which I highlight certain verses) and a second Bible for prayerful meditation.

In my study Bible I don’t actually highlight the text, but rather underline it. I use colored pencils in my study Bible and utilize a color code (depending on the nature of the underlined passage). For example:

Red: Apologetics
Green: Purity & Call to Holiness
Orange: Suffering & Consolation
Blue: Christian Ministerial Duties
Purple: Miscellaneous

Furthermore, this is the Bible I take with me when I teach R.C.I.A. classes, and the one I use as a reference when participating in internet forums. Having certain Scripture passages highlighted and color coded makes it faster and easier to give responses during Q&A sessions in class, and likewise helps with doing forum posts.

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with me marking a Bible in this fashion, and it is worth pointing out that Bible publishers mark the Bibles that they print and distribute. After all, publishers add asterisks, footnotes, text-parallel notes, etc. to the biblical text. My reason for marking my Bible is the same as theirs, which is to help me know the Bible better and enhance my ability to share Scripture with others.

Let me also state that I have studied Scripture in formal academic settings, and the priests who taught the courses encouraged us to have a study Bible and to mark it accordingly.

And finally, the reason I have a second Bible for prayerful meditation is that during such times I have found that having passages underlined or highlighted can be too much of a distraction. So one Bible for study and another Bible for lectio divina.
 
I hate to tell you…

But adding too many slips of paper will break the spine of your Bible. 😊
That’s not a problem.

I mark the slips… flip the paper over… after a while, the old sheets are taken out.😉

But thanks for the heads up! 👍
 
In addition to all my highlighting, I also have written favorite verses on those blank pages at the beginning and at the end.

my preference is for underlining in cheap black ink with a clear plastic ruler as a guide.

I have some commentaries which are printed on coarser paper, that I can’t describe. I thought it made sense there to annotate and underline in pencil. Those commentaries, by the way, have some wide margins obviously just for making notes.

I have to try to curb my inclination to write “WOW” all over the place, and put more meaningful notes there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top