Anyone ever encountered these kinds of evangelicals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 6glargento
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
6

6glargento

Guest
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”

Has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who have claimed this?
 
Hi, I am almost 75 years old and have been to many “kinds” of evangelical churches but I have NEVER heard of anything like this. I sure is contradictory to scripture!! If any man say he has no sin the truth is not in him. Sorry can’t remember the book etc. I have always been interested in what other churches thought and have not run into this. It will be interesting to read what others may say.

Now in RCIA !! Praise the Lord!!!
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”

Has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who have claimed this?
Yes, I personally know a man who believes this about himself. He insists that a born again person will not sin at all, and if he does… he isn’t born again.

I think, how sad for him because either he is lying to himself about the sins he commits OR, he must believe that he isn’t actually saved.
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”

Has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who have claimed this?
I have heard a few, but I think they were probably “lone ranger” types who didn’t belong to a church. I’ve never heard of an evangelical church that taught that
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”

Has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who have claimed this?
No. Never heard that. That is odd. Kind of envokes a little worry among us peccable(Sp?) people.
 
. . . . a born again person will not sin at all, and if he does… he isn’t born again.
This one just boggles my mind. Not even:

in his thoughts
in his words,
in what he has done
and what he has failed to do?

Give me a break.
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all?
It’s either wishful thinking or self-delusion, and that’s me going for a “best-case” scenario.

Personally, you’re probably better off encountering an atheist or someone who’s ingnorant of the Gospels for a discussion on sin as you’re starting with a clean sheet or an opposite pole rather than a twisted perspective on “righteousness.”
 
I have never encountered this but it makes me wonder if this type of evangelical would be more open to accept the sinlessness of Mary?

Hmmmm:hmmm:
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”

Has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who have claimed this?
I haven’t heard it put this way exactly, but I have encountered Reformed Presbyterians who have claim that since they have been saved by faith through grace that the guilt of sin is no longer imputed to them. The way I understand it is that sin is basically covered by their saving faith once and for all. They would still admit to sinning but would say that it has no effect on the guarantee of their salvation.

This is an unfortunate side effect of an incorrect understanding of sola fide. I’ve had some of my evangelical friends come to me after claiming that they know they were saved and express doubts about their salvation because they continued to sin. The party line here is that just because a person doubts their salvation doesn’t mean they aren’t really saved.
 
I have never encountered this but it makes me wonder if this type of evangelical would be more open to accept the sinlessness of Mary?

Hmmmm:hmmm:
I’m quite sure he would, but unfortunately you’d have to go along with him on a whole package of other deeper problems.

On a side note, I wouldn’t even dare to mention anything about those without sin being the first to throw stones as the slab work would be airborne in minutes? Best just tell him that the sinless can walk on water and direct him to the local boating pond.
 
yep. i know of a guy who says he does not “practice sin.” he never really explains the “practice” part but his general conversation indicates that, as far as he is concerned, he is sin free.
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”

Has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who have claimed this?
I think there are some in the Weslyan (Wesleyan?) Holiness movement who argue that perfect sanctification is possible on earth, and after this experience one is no longer capable of sin. I know little else about them except this, and that the Pentecostals and the doctrineof the baptism of the Holy Spirit as they practice it are the direct spiritual children of the Weslyan Holiness people.

Now, if history repeats, someone will demand of me an elaborate defense of their position. Don’t ask me! I think I’ve got some books that make passing reference to this teaching on sanctification, and it’s been a long time, but maybe that’ll help you with a direction.
 
May you be richly blessed on your journey!
Shalom~
Hi, I am almost 75 years old and have been to many “kinds” of evangelical churches but I have NEVER heard of anything like this. I sure is contradictory to scripture!! If any man say he has no sin the truth is not in him. Sorry can’t remember the book etc. I have always been interested in what other churches thought and have not run into this. It will be interesting to read what others may say.

Now in RCIA !! Praise the Lord!!!
 
In a thread about sacramental Confession on these forums, I was in dialogue with an interlocutor, who did not specifically admit, “I do not sin,” but he argued that one who is born again is a new man and sin has no power over him (whether that meant one did not or could not sin is unclear – perhaps he just meant that one would not be held accountable for it). He never answered my direct question: “Do you no longer sin?” The thrust of his argument was clearly that the fruit of the Holy Spirit, of being “born again” involved being free from sin and hence in no need of confession and absolution.
 
Perhaps it’s fear on my part, but I just seem to get the fear at the idea of someone telling me that they’re without sin as there’s a world of difference between doing no wrong and thinking you’re doing no wrong.

The way I see it is that as a Christian you know better so (sinful) actions to the contrary are perhaps twice as bad. To further this and pretend that you’re without sin is a third strike.
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”
I guess if you think this way, then that allows you to look at the pageant of profligate and downright spectacular sinners in the Catholic Church down the centuries and say that proves the Church is not the true Church.

Also, if you think this way, what do you do about St. Peter, the Rock upon whom Jesus built His Church, who then went on to deny Jesus three times?
 
has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who claim that after they were “born again” they no longer sin at all? i remember hearing ray comfort from “way of the master” say “lusting is very hard for some ppl, but if you are truly born again, you have turned away from sin and no longer lust AT ALL”

Has anyone ever encountered evangelicals who have claimed this?
Yep. Heard about it recently. A pastor of an evangelical church said that since he was born again anything he might “do wrong” wasn’t a sin. He said that Jesus would protect him from harm if he were intentionally speeding. I’ll have to check back with the person who heard it first-hand. There was something about how getting a speeding ticket wouldn’t mean anything, but I don’t remember that context.
I guess if you think this way, then that allows you to look at the pageant of profligate and downright spectacular sinners in the Catholic Church down the centuries and say that proves the Church is not the true Church.
Yep. That is the conclusion the people in the above scenario came to.
Also, if you think this way, what do you do about St. Peter, the Rock upon whom Jesus built His Church, who then went on to deny Jesus three times?
They probably didn’t think that far ahead. By their standards then even Peter wasn’t saved to begin with. Grrrr. Sometimes I get so frustrated talking to evangelicals. Prayer and distance seems to be my only option lately.
 
Yes there is a pastor-radio preacher named Bob George (“People to People Ministries”) that teaches this. He uses the KJV translations of 1 John 3

1 John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

He neglects the KJV translations of 1 John 1 but anyway…

The Berean Call (Dave Hunt) even knows he is wrong
And a Reformed site correcting Bob George on 1 John 1:9

Phil P
 
Church of God teaches this doctrine, or at least, it used to. If you sinned, then you had lost your salvation and needed to be “re-born.”.

Sorry I don’t have time to do some googling. I’m a convert after over 40 years of evangelical Protestantism, and the COG is one of the denoms that we were “warned” about.

Frankly, I think that COG doctrine is closer to the Bible than a lot of other evangelical denoms. At least they teach that sin is a rejection of Jesus, and THAT’S what the Catholic Church teaches. Most evangelical churches teach that all your sins, past, present, and future, are forgiven, so the only reason you need to confess is for YOUR benefit, not to actually seek forgiveness. The evangelical idea of confession is that it helps you stay close to God and avoid false “guilt” over sins that are already forgiven. Shudder. I always knew something wasn’t quite right with that doctrine, and found the COG teachings refreshing.
 
Yep…sure have and some of you probably remember him from right here in Apologetics.

Robert Heibel and it was in this thread that he espoused this very belief and was refuted. It’s not scriptural and was pointed out to him all over the place. (as you can see.)
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top