Anyone Familiar with the Animorphs Books?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lora_Lee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lora_Lee

Guest
I’m trying to decide whether the Animorphs books are safe for my kids to read. They really enjoy them, but husband is skeptical about the content of the books. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
I loved Animorphs when I was a kid. Every month I would make my mom drive us to the bookstore and pick up the latest copy. My mother also got hooked on them when she was sick one day and read my entire collection.

There is nothing problematic in them at all. What is your husband concerned about?
 
What is it about the content that troubles your husband? I’ve seen the books but I’ve never read them. I always thought they were just typical superhero-fantasy fare.
 
My daughter used to read the Animophs. She loved the books and I read several of them myself. I have no problems with the books. But in anything your kids read, whether it is allowed needs to be a joint decision between you and your husband. Find out his objections to the books. Has he read any or is he making a judgement based on what he thinks the content is? After you two discuss it, then you will know whether even if you and everyone else thinks they are fine, maybe they shouldn’t be allowed. If only because he really doesn’t approve of them. This is one area where it may be better to say no to reading them if both of you can’t agree that they are okay…and maybe review the decision later.
Debbie
 
My oldest daughter read and enjoyed them… they are by no means great books, but they really aren’t objectionable that I can see.

-D
 
My son read them, in 4th grade. He liked them for about a year, we have several in the “to sell” book stack!
 
40.png
darcee:
they are by no means great books…
I beg your pardon!!!

I loved the Animorphs. I have all 54 books, and even wrote Animorphs fanfiction back in its hay-day on the internet…

wow. I’m lame.

But the books are great. My mom and I read them together up till about #25 or so. They’re good for kids.
 
Loved them as a kid, nothing bad. Nihl obstat from me, (though i cannot give them).

besides, i advise that people should be very careful before condemning a book or other fictional thing, it is fake and nothing that happens withing could possibly hurt anyone who has been raised with a good wall between real and fake.
 
My first exposure to Animorphs was with my oldest daughter, then in 5th grade. I like to read or at least skim what my kids read, to know what’s going into their brains, so I read her library copy. It was, IMHO, a younger version of the classic sci-fi model, using a fantastic/futuristic setting to approach big moral/ethical questions.

That particular Animorphs book started my daughter thinking seriously about what constitutes just war. While she was interested in them, they proved good fodder both for discussion between us and for her private contemplation of larger concepts. I was rather pleased with the ideas it sparked and the direction of her thoughts.

What, specifically, is your husband concerned about? Has he read any of the books, or is he just generally worried about the genre?

-mary
 
I read every single one of them when I was younger. My dad had an objection, too. I never quite figured out why.

The things I would keep in mind are that the culture and lifestyle of the characters (although the books were “clean”) were modern. Thus, the kids went to public school, had a fair amount of unsupervised time running around town, wore cool clothes and had small crushes on each other.

Shows such as Drake and Josh are a good example.

I vaguely recall a few “iffy” ideas, hmm, I think a couple books dealt with dignity of animals, relativism and war.
 
I absolutely loved them when I was in middle school. The Animorphs books were the only books I was passionate about reading (I think I read up to #34).

I think Animorphs is a great series. They are a lot of fun to read, and the kids who are the main characters are always struggling to make good decisions and do the right thing.
 
Yes, I read all of them 54 books and also a few more extra books, I believe one of it was Megamorphs.

I watched a few episodes of the series too.
Very fun book to read, I love with the cover and all the animals. Oh well, I’m animal lovers and always fascinated by animals! 😃
 
I don’t understand why people are so leery about books or other things that deviate from reality. Animorphs is about a bunch of kids who turn into dinosaurs, if I remember right.

Another thing that gets me is what the problem is with Magic: the Gathering. It’s just a card game based on fantasy. The only real problem with it is how much money someone playing seriously would need to spend to get a really good deck.
 
I’ll echo. I read the Animorphs, and found them to be a good read, back when I read them.

No worries, imo. If you raised the kids right, the book shouldn’t hurt them, even if it were bad!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top