Anyone seen the film Calvary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PASCENDI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PASCENDI

Guest
I didn’t know about the media forum so I accidentally posted my comments HERE.

Definitely not an ordinary film!
 
I noticed that on Fr. Robert Barron most recent commentary on the Woody Allen film, he replied to a comment about his review of Calvary was, “coming soon.” Can’t wait for it. 😃

For those unfamiliar with the film, here’s the trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=LGM5rq_vX4U
 
I saw it recently and, quite frankly, it’s easily one of the most profoundly moving films that I’ve ever seen. It’s been called a black comedy but I didn’t find it funny.

The acting is absolutely phenomenal, I personally think Gleeson should win an Oscar for it (though I doubt that will happen.)

It should be noted however, that the film is certainly not for everyone. It’s very dark and, in some ways, very depressing as well. The cinematography is beautiful though, as is the music, just don’t expect to leave the cinema in high spirits, some people I’ve spoken to found it too much.

I’ve also heard it said that the film is anti-catholic. I didn’t find this at all. The film touches on certain scandals but the Priest featured in it is a very good and moral man, one of probably two or three truly good characters in the film.

It’s definitely in my top ten films of all time, and I’ve seen alot of films.
 
Also, for those who have seen it, can I ask how you interpreted Saint Augustine’s quote at the beginning?

“Do not despair; one thief was saved.
Do not presume the other was damned.”
or
“Do not despair; one thief was saved.
Do not presume; the other was damned.”

The presence of the ; would seem to suggest that Augustine is saying that we should not presume things and that one thief was definitely damned. But when the ; is removed, the quotes suggests that we should still hope in the salvation of the unrepentant thief. Does anyone know how Augustine meant the quote to be taken?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top