Anyone speak Latin?

• Thread starter Thread starter sanpablo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sanpablo

Just wondeirng. I’ve always thought that Latin, especially since our founding fathers spoke it, is a really cool language. Can anyone translate some things for me?

Code:
40.png
sanpablo:
Just wondeirng. I’ve always thought that Latin, especially since our founding fathers spoke it, is a really cool language. Can anyone translate some things for me?
Oh, oh, a student that wants us to do his/her homework!:tsktsk:

Now, how do I know it is probably a high school kid or a college student? The word “cool” reveals a lot!

Antonio :nope:

I wouldn’t say I speak Latin, but I know a little.
40.png
sanpablo:
Try me. 👍

Antonio B:
Code:
Oh, oh, a student that wants us to do his/her homework!:tsktsk:

Now, how do I know it is probably a high school kid or a college student? The word “cool” reveals a lot!

Antonio :nope:
Hey, I’m 58 and I still use “cool.” I’ve even been known to throw in a “groovy” once in a while. :cool:

DaveBj

40.png
sanpablo:
Watcha got?

No, we don’t even have Latin in my school. I speak Spanish. I know they are really similar, but I think “cool” is an all-right adjective for it. lol

If you don’t mind,
*For the glory of Christ
Fight for the glory God.

Code:
40.png
DaveBj:
Hey, I’m 58 and I still use “cool.” I’ve even been known to throw in a “groovy” once in a while. :cool:

DaveBj
Dear Lord, grow up!😃

Veni, vidi, velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around
:rotfl:
tee
who studies Latin, but has little opportunity to speak it

40.png
flameburns623:
I think he wants the following slogan translated to Latin:
My Latin is more a passive than an active thing, but here’s my best shot:

For the glory of Christ: Pro gloria Christi (Pro takes the ablative)

Fight for the glory of God: Contendere gloria Dei

If you want this in the imperative rather than just the infinitive version of the imperative, you would say: either Contende (singular) or Contendite (plural)

40.png
sanpablo:
No, we don’t even have Latin in my school. I speak Spanish. I know they are really similar, but I think “cool” is an all-right adjective for it. lol

If you don’t mind,
For the glory of Christ
*Fight for the glory God. *
This is a guess.

pro gloria Christis
pugnare pro gloria dei

40.png
jimmy:
This is a guess.

pro gloria Christis
pugnare pro gloria dei
Yo! Jimmy! Let’s fight grammar. Christ has to be genitive and Christus is second declension, so it’s Christi.

I avoided the word “pugnare” because of it’s “pugnacious” nuance. I chose “contendere” – struggle because it allows for both outward (pugnacious) and inward fight. And with the ablative you don’t need the “pro” – although it is not incorrect to include it as you did. I used it in the first sentece because without it, it is unclear that the phrase is not simply: “the glory of Christ.”

Pax Nobiscum - Peace be with us.
Packs Nobiscum - Our luggage be with us
Pax Nabisco - Oreos be with us

:rolleyes:

40.png
mercygate:
I avoided the word “pugnare” because of it’s “pugnacious” nuance. I chose “contendere” – struggle because it allows for both outward (pugnacious) and inward fight.
Just for another option, the Vulgate uses *certo,certare * in 2Timothy 4:7 for Paul’s assertion that he has fought the good fight.

tee

40.png
sanpablo:
If you don’t mind,
*For the glory of Christ
Fight for the glory God.
I posted offering to translate, then forgot - oops! :rolleyes:

So here’s an alternate for * For the glory of Christ* :

Ad gloriam Christi (lit. toward the glory of Christ)

It has the connotation that Christ’s glory is the intended purpose of your action.

this is more common:
A.M.D.G. Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam For the greater glory of God!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back