Anyone use the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Dummy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i hosted a group of nominal Catholic types who used the little rock study. the man on the video chalks up parts of the pauline letters to corinth as being sarcastic, really, i swear he does. specifically his treatment of how women in that area and time ought to behave in gathering for mass. i’ve heard good things about this study, but not from terribly bright people.
 
I bought the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible on the advice of my deacon and am having a very difficult time with it. It is based on the horrid New American Bible and the first sixty or so pages go to great lengths to “explain away” many of the beliefs we hold today as part of old pagan myths!:eek: It seems as if the study is one of rationalizing and faith crushing. When I saw my deacon I asked him if he has spent any time with his book and he told me he just hasn’t had time yet. I don’t have a clue why he reccommended it but will be finding out more from him soon. I assume you have a particular reason for starting this thread, so hopefully, you will expound on it. I’m all ears!
 
I simply never heard of this study bible before and was curious.
 
I use the LRCSB and I like it. The thing I like about it the most is the single column verse format. To me this makes it easier to read for longer periods of time, many of the longer Psalms are on a page all by themselves. The commentary notes are displayed at the bottom of the page for easy access and are easy to read. Obviously, if you don’t like historical-critical commentary or the NABRE translation, then this Bible is not for you.
 
No, I didn’t use “their” Bible.

About the study material itself, I thought it was overwhelming to try to cover so much ground, i.e. three chapters, every week. I saw other participants who didn’t come prepared (no question pages filled out, for example).
  • read three chapters a week
  • answer maybe 15 questions
  • read the LRBS commentary
  • read the collegeville commentary accompanying it
  • hurriedly go over the questions/answers in group
  • watch the video
In two different parishes in two different states, I never saw any group come close to doing more than scratching the surface of the study material. I don’t think the videos (which I saw) were barely close to that week’s study.

I dropped out of the local session of this study group. It seems to be popular in the diocese, but I don’t know why. I think it’s got a catchy name “little rock” but it was like drinking from a fire hose.

I would add that the moderator didn’t “lead” the study, just sort of pushed us along from one question to the next, with no comment.

The Pontifical Biblical Commissioned advised (1993, The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church) that to study the bible, read it alongside a commentary. That’s what I do, and I think it’s the best way for me to learn.
 
I bought the Jewish Publication Society Commentary Series on the Torah ($75 list price for each of 5 volumes). These are 300- to 600- page books with the text, detailed footnotes, and supplelmentary essays on the issues in the text.

This is the best series of commentaries that I have seen so far. They are very scholarly, although they are surely from the Jewish perspective alone.

There are some anti-Christian comments in their commentaries. Their arguments are not persuasive to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top