E
EmperorNapoleon
Guest
It should have been obvious to all involved and very early on that the bonds wouldn’t be repaid but FDR judged it wasn’t worth the risk even though he also thought the bankers deserved what they got for loading up on them and charging obscenely high interest. As for why we waited so long after the truth was known, deference to the isolationist sensibilities of the public and Congress is the only answer.Surely after Hitler invaded Austria, Czechelsvokia and Poland they were not holding out hope Germany had any intention of paying back the bonds.
The State Department also issued a directive to embassies and consulates in Europe to keep their visa grants at around 10% of the actual quota limit to keep the number of refugee immigrants low. Our Embassy in Berlin actually turned away world renowned and nobel prize winning chemist Fritz Haber for that very reason. Fortunately for him, the British Embassy wasn’t too far away and he was granted a visa to stay in London.I have never heard the argument about the refugees.
Close enough.(I don’t think I spelled Czecheksvokia correctly. My brain is not working very well tonight.)