Apologetic Training Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter WimpyPete
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WimpyPete

Guest
Hi I’m just looking for recommendations that any one could give me regarding the best sources for training in apologetics. I’m really looking for a good book that covers the Protestant Catholic issues but in a deeper way then just kind of verse slinging stratagies and a little bit beyond the basics. I don’t know if there is any one book or number of books that go into Scripture, Church Fathers, as well as even the writtings of the reformers themselves, I love when you hear people quoting things from Luther and Calvin that show how differant they are then many modern day protestants or how they teach things differant then many protestants believe. If any one has any recommendations I would appreciate it.
Also do you have any thoughts on more apologetic training beyond just reading books? Thanks for any help you can give me, God Bless
 
Hi there,

I know you said you wanted to go a little bit beyond the basics, but right here in the Catholic Answers store, there is a set of “Beginning Apologetics” booklets, only for about $4.95-$5.95 each. I think they are very helpful; give 'em a little perusal. 👍

Full book series here.

To buy them individually, start here.

Some volume titles include:
The Eucharist
How to Answer Atheists and New Agers
How to Explain and Defend Mary
How to Answer Muslims
How to Read the Bible

…and much more!

Hope that was helpful! If not, there is also a lot more in the store under “Apologetics and Evangelization.” God bless. 🙂
 
Hi I’m just looking for recommendations that any one could give me regarding the best sources for training in apologetics. I’m really looking for a good book that covers the Protestant Catholic issues but in a deeper way then just kind of verse slinging stratagies and a little bit beyond the basics. I don’t know if there is any one book or number of books that go into Scripture, Church Fathers, as well as even the writtings of the reformers themselves, I love when you hear people quoting things from Luther and Calvin that show how differant they are then many modern day protestants or how they teach things differant then many protestants believe. If any one has any recommendations I would appreciate it.
Also do you have any thoughts on more apologetic training beyond just reading books? Thanks for any help you can give me, God Bless
WimpyPete

Stay true to the Word of God, He who stands with the Lord does not stand alone, for the Lord is with him. Therefore get out there and exercise it. Experience is the best teacher.

Some times we don’t realize that the Lord is with us, but be assured that the enemy of God’s People knows whether or not God is with them.
 
The forums are the best way to get trained as Apologetic. Just post doubts or critics that you hear of non-Catholics and their arguments. Then see which are the replies of your fellow forum members. Try to play ‘the advocate of the devil’ a bit, thus contra-argue the Catholic replies. Eventually you will have a huge number of answers and replies from the Catholic point of view with quotes of the Bible, Vatican intepretations, and valid arguments.
 
Hi there,

I know you said you wanted to go a little bit beyond the basics, but right here in the Catholic Answers store, there is a set of “Beginning Apologetics” booklets, only for about $4.95-$5.95 each. I think they are very helpful; give 'em a little perusal. 👍

Full book series here.

To buy them individually, start here.

Some volume titles include:
The Eucharist
How to Answer Atheists and New Agers
How to Explain and Defend Mary
How to Answer Muslims
How to Read the Bible

…and much more!

Hope that was helpful! If not, there is also a lot more in the store under “Apologetics and Evangelization.” God bless. 🙂
I have them and they are invaluable helps. I studied each one with a ruler, pen, and highlighter.

I also recommend John Martignoni’s Bible Christian Society and especially his 2-Minute Apologetics and Booklets. They are also as Free MP3 Downloads and even in Spanish
 
I’m really looking for a good book that covers the Protestant Catholic issues but in a deeper way then just kind of verse slinging stratagies and a little bit beyond the basics.
To combat verse slinging, have a look at John Martignoni’s **Bible Christain Society **website and order up some of his talks on CD.

I would recommend “Catholicsim and Fundamentalism” by Karl Keating as a good textbook on the tactics and strategies used some of the non-denominational “Bible Christians” as well as some of the more aggressive Evangelicals such as the Southern Baptists and the motivation behind what they do.

Where I live there are a lot of non-denominational Evangelicals and Southern Baptists so this is where I focus. My experience is that they tend to reject Luther as an ex-Catholic and as much as Catholics dismiss him as a heritic.

-Tim-
 
=WimpyPete;7312707]Hi I’m just looking for recommendations that any one could give me regarding the best sources for training in apologetics. I’m really looking for a good book that covers the Protestant Catholic issues but in a deeper way then just kind of verse slinging stratagies and a little bit beyond the basics. I don’t know if there is any one book or number of books that go into Scripture, Church Fathers, as well as even the writtings of the reformers themselves, I love when you hear people quoting things from Luther and Calvin that show how differant they are then many modern day protestants or how they teach things differant then many protestants believe. If any one has any recommendations I would appreciate it.
Also do you have any thoughts on more apologetic training beyond just reading books? Thanks for any help you can give me, God Bless
A couple of years ago I took "***The Saint Michaels Apologetics Video course.

Excellent.***

Pat
 
I find it helpful to quote St. Paul- “remember the scripture and tradition we have taught you”

“Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?”
Show me in YOUR bible where this is. Jesus said “Wherever two or three are gathered in my name I will be there.”
 
I find it helpful to quote St. Paul- “remember the scripture and tradition we have taught you”

“Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?”
Show me in YOUR bible where this is. Jesus said “Wherever two or three are gathered in my name I will be there.”
It’s a “both and” situation isn’t it? Personal relationship and communal one 🙂
thanks for the reply, I like that St. Paul quote
 
Hey, this just occurred to me. John Salza has excellent books on the papacy, Eucharist, etc. They contain nearly every point mentioned by other, separate apologists. If you have ever heard of Robert Sungenis’ works, I have noticed that John Salza’s “Biblical basis for the Eucharist” is basically a distillation of “Not by Bread Alone” by Sungenis. They definitely get deeper into the material, but they don’t assume you have a PHD in biblical languages.

Here’s a link

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=john+salza
 
Hi I’m just looking for recommendations that any one could give me regarding the best sources for training in apologetics. I’m really looking for a good book that covers the Protestant Catholic issues but in a deeper way then just kind of verse slinging stratagies and a little bit beyond the basics. I don’t know if there is any one book or number of books that go into Scripture, Church Fathers, as well as even the writtings of the reformers themselves, I love when you hear people quoting things from Luther and Calvin that show how differant they are then many modern day protestants or how they teach things differant then many protestants believe. If any one has any recommendations I would appreciate it.
Also do you have any thoughts on more apologetic training beyond just reading books? Thanks for any help you can give me, God Bless
I just read Karl Keatings High level Apologetics. I thought it was interesting.
amazon.com/Controversies-High-Level-Apologetics-Karl-Keating/dp/0898708281
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top