K
Kay_Cee
Guest
My priest has asked me to put together a class in apologetics for our parish, and I could use a little help. Because classtime is limited, this will be an overview, and I won’t be able to get into specifics too often.
What are some of the major questions/charges concerning Catholicism that you have heard from our non-Catholic brothers and sisters? I plan on having classes covering Scripture and Tradition, Justification, Papal and Church Authority, The Sacraments, Mary, plus a class on miscellaneous charges such as “Call no man father”, the use of statues, etc.
In the class on Church Authority, I want to get into the charge of apostasy. I know a charge of the Church going off the rails before the end of the 4th century raises the question of why anyone would accept the New Testament canon of a supposedly apostate Church. But if the claim is that the Church became apostate later than the 4th century, then the one making the charge should accept all teachings the Church said were true up to that date. Does anybody have a list of Church doctrine that was definitely in place before the books of the New Testament were canonized?
Thank you so much for your time and help!
What are some of the major questions/charges concerning Catholicism that you have heard from our non-Catholic brothers and sisters? I plan on having classes covering Scripture and Tradition, Justification, Papal and Church Authority, The Sacraments, Mary, plus a class on miscellaneous charges such as “Call no man father”, the use of statues, etc.
In the class on Church Authority, I want to get into the charge of apostasy. I know a charge of the Church going off the rails before the end of the 4th century raises the question of why anyone would accept the New Testament canon of a supposedly apostate Church. But if the claim is that the Church became apostate later than the 4th century, then the one making the charge should accept all teachings the Church said were true up to that date. Does anybody have a list of Church doctrine that was definitely in place before the books of the New Testament were canonized?
Thank you so much for your time and help!