Apologetics Zingers

  • Thread starter Thread starter RyanL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RyanL

Guest
I would like to start a thread for apologetics related one-liners - any apologetics topic is fair game.

Please share your favorites!
  1. When you see a ‘therefore’ in Scripture, you have to ask what it’s ‘there for’. A text without a context is a pretext.
  2. Moral issues are always terribly complex - for someone without principles. (Chesterton)
  3. No we’re not a Bible based Church - the Bible is a Church based book!
  4. Dr. Seuss said it best - “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
  5. Skeptics don’t know their (rear end) from a hole in the ground. (It’s an epistemological thing.)
  6. The principle behind the male-only priesthood is simple: women can’t be daddies.
  7. (On Cafeteria Catholics) “There are many good people whose path to holiness is shaped by religious individualism and private interpretation of what God has revealed. They are, however, called Protestants.” (Cardinal George - here)
  8. (On the Communion of Saints and prayer) God has friends, and He wants His friends to be friends.
…and of course…
  1. Rome has spoken, the case is closed.
God Bless,
RyanL
 
… No we’re not a Bible based Church - the Bible is a Church based book!..
I have none to add, but I just wanted to tell you THAT was a good one. I’ll keep it tucked away for future use 🙂
 
Jesus said, “This is my body”. Why do you say, “No it’s not”?:confused: :confused: :confused:
 
The **written **Word of God was placed in an Ark that was lined inside and out with gold. God gave specific instructions on how this vessel was to be transported. According to most protestants, the living Word of God was placed in a sinfully stained vessel and devoid of any further respect regarding her perpetual virginity. They call her Mary.😦

Not one line…sorry:o
 
I would like to start a thread for apologetics related one-liners - any apologetics topic is fair game.
While there is value in pithy and concise apologetics, is there a way to eliminate the possible appearance of, I dunno… wise-cracking?

I don’t know the answer, myself. :o
 
What part of “unless you eat My Body and drink My Blood you shall not have life within you” don’t you understand?
 
James said," Faith without works is dead." James 2:26 He must be Catholic…🙂
 
Reformers: “By Faith Alone.” St. James: “Not by Faith Alone.” I’m going to have to go with James. . .
 
While there is value in pithy and concise apologetics, is there a way to eliminate the possible appearance of, I dunno… wise-cracking?

I don’t know the answer, myself. :o
Simply stating truth and not being derogatory towards anyone in particular, I suspect.🙂
 
Good list.
Here are some I like:

-“A prooftext without a context is a pretext.”

-“The reformers were right about what was wrong, but were wrong about what was right”
(a sig I saw around here quoting GKC)

-St Francis de Sales has a ton of one liners, one of my favorites is “If Scripture is so easy to understand why do your pretend reformers continue to write so many commentaries?”
(I really need to go back through St Francis de Sales “Catholic Controversy” and highlight all the zingers! Im not kidding he was tossing out a zinger left and right)
 
[/INDENT](I really need to go back through St Francis de Sales “Catholic Controversy” and highlight all the zingers! Im not kidding he was tossing out a zinger left and right)
Pray for us, St. Francis de Sales! He is the patron of writers. . .that’s us!
 
And when [Jesus] had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit, Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."(John 20: 22-23) “But why?”, asked the apostles," Christians only need to go directly to God. Surely you must be stating another one of your unnecessary comments again".(Chapter and verse unknown)🙂
 
I’ve never heard this one refuted:
Code:
Jesus is God
+Mary is Jesus’ Mother
=Mary is the Mother of God
 
Did you know that when Jesus mentions being born of water and Spirit (cf. John 3:5) that the water refers to amniotic fluid? Ask any Christian who doesn’t believe in the necessity of Baptism…Private interpretation creativity at its best!!
 
To a triple-coming rapturist, when discussing John 6:

And when the Lord says he will raise you up on the last day, WHICH last day will that be?

When a “Bible” Christian says: I belong to a Church based on the BIBLE! you answer: “Good for you. I belong to the Church that WROTE the Bible!”

Do I have to go to Confession now???
 
A bit longer than one line, but I’ve been saving this baby for the right occasion.
Yes, Bibles used to be chained up in churches. It was really a huge ceremony. The bishop would come down to a new church, and a local monastery would donate a hand-written Bible for the church to use, and the bishop would say Mass, and then he would have the honour of locking up the Bible with a huge chain. But don’t worry, he gave the key to the guy who could read.😃
 
There’s a very subtle zinger from St. Augustine on the Manichees and their theory about a corrupted New Testament… let me go see if I can find it. As I left my confessions at home, I’ll paraphrase it so someone else can find it.

He summarizes how they contend that the New Testament was corrupted and very slyly notes, “they have as of yet made no attempt to produce uncorrupted copies.”

Edit: Oh and, this is probably my favorite. Ghosty has it in his profile.

Doth this scandalize you to hear that you must eat crackers and drink grape juice as a symbol of my body and blood?

-Rob
 
"If the Douay-Rheims was good enough for the apostle Paul, it’s good enough for me."

Phil P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top