Apologizing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Christ_Conquers
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christ_Conquers

Guest
Hi Everyone,
Around 3 or more years ago I used to act impatient, disrespectful and sarcastic to a relative that’s a lot older than me. I didn’t think i was committing a mortal a sin at the time (i did it because the person would ask a ton of questions that would get on my nerves) but now that it’s come to mind, i think i should confess it.

Should I apologize now, after all this time? I think it’s the right thing to do, but i think it would be really awkward to randomly bring it up, especially since I’ve stopped acting like that, and am totally nice to the person now. Even though i don’t think it’s a mortal sin, would i be required to apologize before i confess?

I’m wondering if i’m making this out to be bigger then it really is, any advice appreciated.
Thanks!
 
You want to apologize to them or to GOD?
You think they were right or wrong?
 
Hi Everyone,
Should I apologize now, after all this time? I think it’s the right thing to do, but i think it would be really awkward to randomly bring it up, especially since I’ve stopped acting like that, and am totally nice to the person now. Even though i don’t think it’s a mortal sin, would i be required to apologize before i confess?
Do you remember Jesus telling us to make amends with a person before offering our gift at the altar? (Mt. 5:24) From what you wrote, it looks as if your relationship is okay with this person now. Most likely, they have already forgiven you and overlooked it. Just continue on your path of kindness and let the past lay in the past.

As for confessing a sin from long ago, each confession you have made in the meanwhile absolves all of your sins, even those venial sins you do not confess due to unawareness.
 
If someone had treated you like that, even though not recently, wouldn’t you appreciate an apology? Remember the Golden Rule.
 
Hi Agnes Therese,

You presented a very good point using the Golden Rule. There’s more than one way to look at this, I see. Thank you.

But when I asked your question to myself and tried to picture the scene as someone who offended me wanted to apologize, I felt uneasy, both for myself and the offender. Most likely, I would have dismissed it with a “Let’s forget about it” reply. I wouldn’t want to cause embarrassment for the offender by bringing it up fresh again, but that’s just my sensitivity. Everyone is different. 🙂
 
You would be asking forgiveness not to get the reply you desire or to be forgiven by the Lord, but to bring further peace of mind to yourself.

Its not uncommon for souls to dwell on sin far after the Lord has forgiven them, the guilt is a burden which needs to further be resolved outside of confession.

Yes I think you should do this not for anyone but yourself in regards to your well-being. If by chance this brings clarity, understanding and joy to another is indeed a bonus and blessing.
 
I suggest it, you’ll feel better.

I HATE apologizing. Hate it hate hate it. But I’ve had to do it or I would have lost close friends. It’s a humbling experience, and a powerful one. It’ll only make you happier when it’s over. Do it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top