Apostasy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMJDevotee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JMJDevotee

Guest
What is the official teaching or thought on the Apostacy?
 
What is the official teaching or thought on the Apostacy?
From my understanding the Apostacy according to the CC will occur. Many of the faithful will fall away and no longer find solace in God.

In my opinion, I think we are witnessing it. The world is becoming more secular, and becomes a victim of Relativism.

I don’t think Apostacy is Church losing its authority since Jesus promised that his Church will be protected, “the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
 
CCC 2089:
apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith.

What specifically are you looking for?
 
2089 Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. “Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him.”

817 In fact, “in this one and only Church of God from its very beginnings there arose certain rifts, which the Apostle strongly censures as damnable. But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions appeared and large communities became separated from full communion with the Catholic Church - for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame.” The ruptures that wound the unity of Christ’s Body - here we must distinguish heresy, apostasy, and schism - do not occur without human sin:

Where there are sins, there are also divisions, schisms, heresies, and disputes. Where there is virtue, however, there also are harmony and unity, from which arise the one heart and one soul of all believers.
 
What sounds like Relativism?
apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith. Apostacy seems to fit the role of relativism.

**moral relativism **i s the position that moral or ethical propositions do not reflect absolute and universal moral truths, but instead make claims relative to social, cultural, historical or personal circumstances. Moral relativists hold that no universal standard exists by which to assess an ethical proposition’s truth. Relativistic positions often see moral values as applicable only within certain cultural boundaries or in the context of individual preferences. An extreme relativist position might suggest that judging the moral or ethical judgments or acts of another person or group has no meaning, though most relativists propound a more limited version of the theory
 
Well, if Apostasy were Relativism they wouldn’t call it Apostasy…right? 🙂 A person doesn’t necessarily have to be a Moral Relativist to commit Apostasy.
 
Someone used the following Scriptures to say it had already ocurred:

Isa. 24:5, 29:13, 60:2
Gal 1: 1-7

I thought I might have missed it or something. :confused:
 
Someone used the following Scriptures to say it had already ocurred:

Isa. 24:5, 29:13, 60:2
Gal 1: 1-7

I thought I might have missed it or something. :confused:
Oh, I see. Then you are probably looking for CCC 675:

“Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.”

Given this definition I don’t think reference to Galations applies because there was no Antichrist involved at that time. I haven’t looked at the Isiah reference yet.
 
After looking at the Isiah references I don’t see how they can be used (if taken in context) to say that the final Apostasy has occured. Throughout history there have been instances of Apostasy on small and large levels (communism) but the teaching of the Church ties the Antichrist to the final Apostasy and as far as I know that hasn’t happened yet.
 
I’m curious by current trends if the great apostacy is currently happening right now: most of Europe are falling away from the faith, moral decays are everywhere - people are ignorant of the church laws or if they are not - they still follow what is popular in the world, Americans are not so far behind. Everywhere else in the world, there are persecutions.

I worked in a project where the majority of the people there are former Catholics and it seems like they are proud of leaving the faith. I would called them disgruntled former Catholics as they blame it for problems in their lives or it not conform to their expectations, in a way they resent the faith.

Could the anti-christ be moral relativism? It cause a lot of “evil” to be called “good”. Death by abortion is now deemed “choice”. Deliberate killing of sick or old people is now called “Mercy killing.” Unrestrained sexual sins are now “sexual freedom”. People rewriting the Words of God to suit their needs. Etc…

Warmest regards,
Ben
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top