Apostles' Creed

• Thread starter Thread starter Swamp_Yankee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swamp_Yankee

I have a question regarding the Apostles’ Creed. There seems to me to be two ( that I know of) versions of the Creed. One says that he " descended into Hell : and rose on the third day". The other (the one my church recites) omits the " descended into Hell". Any thoughts on that?

The one recited in Church is the Nicene Creed, not the Apostle’s Creed.

I suppose you could both be right, I’ll double check tomorrow. The funny thing is, in my RCIA class I brought this up ( that Christ descended into Hell ) and my priest was adamant that this was not so. Now what?

I suppose you could both be right, I’ll double check tomorrow. The funny thing is, in my RCIA class I brought this up ( that Christ descended into Hell ) and my priest was adamant that this was not so. Now what?
It might be because of the meaning of the word hell today, but your priest should know this. Here is a quote from the Catechism.
Paragraph 1. Christ Descended into Hell
632 The frequent New Testament affirmations that Jesus was “raised from the dead” presuppose that the crucified one sojourned in the realm of the dead prior to his resurrection.478 This was the first meaning given in the apostolic preaching to Christ’s descent into hell: that Jesus, like all men, experienced death and in his soul joined the others in the realm of the dead. But he descended there as Savior, proclaiming the Good News to the spirits imprisoned there.479
633 Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, “hell” - Sheol in Hebrew or Hades in Greek - because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God.480 Such is the case for all the dead, whether evil or righteous, while they await the Redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into “Abraham’s bosom”:481 "It is precisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham’s bosom, whom Christ the Lord delivered when he descended into hell."482 Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him.483
634 "The gospel was preached even to the dead."484 The descent into hell brings the Gospel message of salvation to complete fulfilment. This is the last phase of Jesus’ messianic mission, a phase which is condensed in time but vast in its real significance: the spread of Christ’s redemptive work to all men of all times and all places, for all who are saved have been made sharers in the redemption.
635 Christ went down into the depths of death so that "the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live."485 Jesus, “the Author of life”, by dying destroyed "him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and [delivered] all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage."486 Henceforth the risen Christ holds “the keys of Death and Hades”, so that "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth."487
Today a great silence reigns on earth, a great silence and a great stillness. A great silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. . . He has gone to search for Adam, our first father, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him - He who is both their God and the son of Eve. . . "I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. . . I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead."488
Also from 1 Peter 3:
[18] For Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit;
[19]** in which he went and preached to the spirits in prison**,
[20] who formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water.

Thanks ArAnMike, thats really helpful. I admit, there is somewhat of a language barrier with my Priest , he’s a great guy , but sometimes there’re some miscomunications, I hope thats it.

In masses for Children other than Sunday Mass and some daily masses they often recite the Apostles Creed rather than the Nicene creed.

Ok, you were all correct. At RCIA class last night I got the whole thing straightened out. We say the Nicean Creed at Mas, and there was no dispute as to Christ descending into hell. Thank you all for your help.

The one recited in Church is the Nicene Creed, not the Apostle’s Creed.
Actually the GIRM requires only that the Creed be recited. It does not specify the Nicene Creed or the Apostles Creed. Either is allowed and in fact at my local church we only say the Apostles Creed. In all the years I have attended Mass there I have never heard the Nicene Creed.

Actually the GIRM requires only that the Creed be recited. It does not specify the Nicene Creed or the Apostles Creed. Either is allowed and in fact at my local church we only say the Apostles Creed. In all the years I have attended Mass there I have never heard the Nicene Creed.
Are you by any chance Canadian or otherwise outside the US?

yea, the word Hell is confusing. Although, He descended to Sheol would sound kind of strange. One church I went to just said, He descended to the dead.

I’m British but I live permanently in the Philippines.
The reason I asked is that the Nicene Creed is standard in the US but not necessarily in other countries. Canada uses the Apostles’ Creed at Mass. So it varies depending on where you are.

its always fun to start reciting the rosary in a group and see how many start saying the Nicene instead of the Apostles Creed. Then people realize they only know the Nicene, and feel lost

I think your confusion comes from the two ways that many say the Apostles Creed. The older version said “He descended into hell” This was a translation of “sehol”(sp) which meant “the place of the dead.” Others now say, he descended to the dead. The meaning is the same. I was asked what he descended into hell meant, as many thought it was the literal hell of Satan and the fallen angels. Such is not the case.
Deacon Ed B

Deacon, you’ve brought me to another question that has come up,regarding this. Christ descended into Sehol ( the place of the dead). ALL of the dead? The point I made in class was that there was no Heaven or Purgatory prior to Christ’s descent, and preaching of the gospel. Everyone who died prior to that went to Sehol, then Christ came and sorted them out. Is that right?

My understanding is that those destined for hell (the place of Satan) went there. I have not heard anything stated about those that were to go to purgatory. Just going on reasoning about the Divine Justice and Mercy would say that those who had temporal punishment would have undergone that already. This is just my thinking about it. I know of no official teaching as to this point. To be honest, I have never even thought about it before.
Deacon Ed B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back