Applause after mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter SueG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don’t care for applause, but that said, there are very special occasions that I do not believe when it happens it detracts from the liturgy. If it is used weekly and routinely for those who serve, that may be overkill.

Also, George789, I believe we need to be very careful and differentiate between the official church explanations of the Eucharist and Scott Hahn’s. I didn’t post on the Hahn thread I don’t believe, but it bothers me way more than applause after Mass, when he is quoted so emphatically and seemingly equal to any doctrinal statements in the church. I am sure that is not your intent, but when those statements are made by people in such a way, that is how it can come across.

BTW, I am not aware of the term ‘literally’ used in official documents referring to the liturgy. I am not sure about the term ‘symbol’ but I do know that that term and was used by some Fathers of the Church and it is also used in the Liturgy of St. Basil.

Now, no one answered my previous question about applause inside of St. Peter’s (not in the square). I checked my source again and was told that there is applause (I have no idea how often it happens) after a papal Mass in St. Peter’s. Now, if it is for the pope, who is the servant of the servants of God as has been explained by the papacy, if it is done there a blanket condemnation cannot possibly hold for parishes istm.

Personally, applause after mass makes me cringe. I am a cantor at my local parish, and often people are telling me what a “beautiful voice” I have. Well dangit, I sure hope people remember why the heck I’m standing up there singing! I’m not singing to sound beautiful, but to inspire EVERYONE ELSE to sing!!!
The purpose of music in mass is to assist the liturgy and encourage the people to lift their voices up to God in song. It is not a performance, it is the sacrifice at Calvary, which I really don’t think was a performance!
On the other hand, it seems to be the cultural thing here in the United States to clap for things we appreciate. Some of me wonders if we are downplaying the practice of a culture, saying it is not appropriate for Gods house, when a great deal of practices take place around the world which we would deem “inappropriate.”
Any thoughts?

Justin

Dolly,
I don’t understand where you draw your conclusions about Scott Hahn’s book. Did you ever read it? He refers to many of the early Church fathers and Tradition as to how he came to his conclusions. He even refers to Pope John Paul II ,the mass as “Heaven on Earth”. (Angelus Address: Nov. 3, 1996) and some of the Pope’s writings.

Are you saying that you disagree with the Pope???

When I read Scott Hahn’s book it seems to me he agrees with Pope John Paul’s statements and Church history.

If your unconvinced about “Real Presence” then I suggest you watch EWTN, specifically Bob and Penny Lord “Eucharist Miracles”. www.bobandpennylord.com.

40.png
EddieArent:
The church .

What annoys me a bit is when the Priest is about to give the final blessing, a person of the congregation comes up to speak about parish events - i.e. picnic, carnival, etc. Ummm…folks, that’s why there’s such a thing called a Parish Newsletter/Bulletin. Now that’s annoying!!!
This annoys me, too. It seems to spoil the moment, if you will.

40.png
Dolly:
I believe we need to be very careful and differentiate between the official church explanations of the Eucharist and Scott Hahn’s.
I think this is a valid point, although I personally find much of Dr. Hahn’s work to be insightful, thought-provoking and consistent with orthodox Catholic theology (not that I’m an expert). I would agree, however, that some of his insights represent his views and do need to be differentiated from official church teaching. That being said, however, his books and talks have been a major part of my “reversion” and I find him more accessible than some of the fathers.

With regard to clapping at St. Peter’s, I don’t know if it happens, but if it does, I doubt the Pope encourages it. He may be suffering through it the same way some of us are on this side of the pond and wishing folks would just appreciate the silence of the moment.

Yes, I really hate the applause. Usually after a wedding. Baptism, the end of Sunday Mass, etc. I attended Mass in Seattle, and the lector annunced THREE TIMES the names of the people bringing up the gifts. They were a boy and girl (brother and sister, I guess), about 10=12 yrs. old. Everyone clapped after they brought up the gifts. People complain about the old Tridentine Mass, but clapping never occurred at the old Massess. Who told people to clap? People don’t clap at Orthodox Liturgies.

I also do not like the clapping. When it happens I do not participate. It reminds me of the protestant churches I used to go to. (I didn’t like the applause there either, by the way) We don’t go to Mass to be entertained, we are there to worship God.

👍
Miss Piggy:
Last year, I had the great pleasure of spending a day listening to Fr. Benedict Groeschel in person. Fr. Benedict of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal said that the Friars were trying to restore reverance in the Liturgy. He was adamantly opposed to clapping in church and said if you must show your appreciation, use one-handed clapping. After all, it’s not a show and they’re not singing for their own glory or at least they shouldn’t be.
Just exactly my attitude. 👍

Anna

40.png
George789:
Would you applaud at the foot of Calvary? Would the Mother of God applaud the death of her Son? I think everyone should read “Lamb’s Supper” by Scott Hahn. It is my understanding that when you go to mass you are taken back to the moment of the Crucifixion “literally” NOT symbolically! I find it horrorfying that parishioners are clapping? It doesn’t happen in the Church I go to and if it did I would look for another one. You just received the “Real Presence” of Christ. I believe a quiet thank you or prayer is appropriate because the Son of God just gave you his Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. The mass is not there for your entertainment it is to renew God’s Convenant with his people. By the way if you do not believe in the “Real Presence” in the Eucharist then you shouldn’t be receiving Holy Communion. Am I missing something here? Does anyone agree?
No George, You’re not missing anything, unless it’s the original cause for the clapping, i.e., the 40-year-old attempt to dump the sacrifice and substitute a friendly community supper in celebration of ourselves. It’s leftovers from the feel-good kumbayah thing that contributed to the Big Time problems we live with today.

At least it’s a comfort to find many people who recognize it as inappropriate at best and sacriligious at worst. :mad:

Anna

For me, it pretty much depends on how I am feeling that day. Some days, I am in a more deep and prayerful place where applause distracts me. Other times, I love singing praises where clapping and applause are a part of it - usually with the closing song. It is not so much about applauding the music ministry as much as it is just applauding the fellowship of singing and worshipping together

Whatever your position, I think that sometimes Jesus is not quite as offended by the things that offend us. Afterall, worshipping Him can take different forms. I love the Baptist churches with gospel singing and praising. Rev 4:8 tells us the angels are singing praises without ceasing. Acts 2 tell us that at Pentecost, they were filled with the Holy Spirit and acting crazy - so crazy people thought they were drunk. Were they clapping, singing, dancing? Probably.

That’s the beauty of having so many Masses to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back