Applying for Job - Moral Issues?

  • Thread starter Thread starter romand12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

romand12

Guest
Hello,

I am in the process of applying to a large Genomics/Biotech company and am nearing the deadline. I have much respect for the company and consider it to be one of the most important in my field. However, I only just learned about the company’s dealing with reproductive health - producing technology for IVF and possible involvement with embryonic stem cell/fetal tissue or DNA research. This aside, I believe the company is vital to the scientific and healthcare sector.

I don’t have time to contact the NCBC at this time so I am just wondering whether me applying would make me complicit in these areas? If I got the position, it would be in the area of producing genomics software, but what if this sofware would be used by someone involved in the reproductive sector? Any guidance would be great, thanks. (Copied from my Reddit post btw).
 
Last edited:
Honestly, you DO have time to contact the NCBC. Just because you apply, that doesn’t mean you have to accept a position.

Apply, learn more details about what the company does, talk to the NCBC and then make your decision if they even pursue you for an offer.
 
Thanks for your reply. What I meant was I don’t have time before applying but yeah I could contact after applying. Part of me feels though that even applying is morally questionable though.
 
I tend to overthink these things, I will apply anyway, and then send the NCBC a question. Thanks.
 
That’s my thought. Apply. You have plenty of time between now and if/when you’re contacted for an interview, offer, etc. There will be chances to do research and, if necessary, back out of it.
 
Last edited:
A good perspective. I have a friend looking for new work. She is employed at present, applies for different jobs and if she gets an offer then decides after looking into the business further.

Yours won’t be the only application and just as potential employers go through all applications , potential employees ask questions at interviews to see if the job is a good fit for them.
 
Last edited:
I am just wondering whether me applying would make me complicit in these areas? If I got the position, it would be in the area of producing genomics software, but what if this sofware would be used by someone involved in the reproductive sector? Any guidance would be great, thanks.
If it is bothering you, it will not stop bothering you after taking a position. Not will it stop after working there for a while.

This is not to address morally one way or the other, this is just a statement from my own experience.

If something about a company bothers you now, it will not cease bothering you. You may not want to take the job.
 
Unless he actually finds the answer to the question that is bothering him. If it’s resolved after contacting the NCBC, I don’t see why it would continue to bother him.
 
I have contacted the NCBC before for this very reason- to help determine the morality of a potential position. I can tell you that they have an urgent line, turnaround was quick, and the rep I talked to was very knowledgeable. I didn’t feel rushed, and he answered all my questions. At the end I decided to withdraw my application because of what he said.

No issues with applying- the application process is for BOTH you and your potential employer to decide if it’s the right fit. Ok maybe if you were applying at Planned Parenthood, we’d have a different discussion. 😉
 
Why would it be troublesome if you dont work in those areas? Everyone who works at a grocery store works for a place that sells contraception. Same diff.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info regarding the NCBC, this is good to know. I have applied and will consult the NCBC. Thanks everyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top