Applying the love of God

• Thread starter Thread starter tablecorner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tablecorner

a thought experiment, if the self sacrificial love is the one we ought to imitate, would that also mean i could marry a random stranger who is 40 years older than me, whom i have zero attraction or feelings for and be happily married?

a thought experiment, if the self sacrificial love is the one we ought to imitate, would that also mean i could marry a random stranger who is 40 years older than me, whom i have zero attraction or feelings for and be happily married?
Zero physical attraction or any attraction of spiritual, intellectual, emotional, aesthetic, common interests, etc, excluding physical attraction?

Yes, people have happily married with great age differences and for duty even. The definition of happily is:
(Merriam-Webster)
1a in a fortunate manner
1b as it fortunately happens
2 archaic : by chance
3 in a happy manner or state
4 in an adequate or fitting manner : successfully

Last edited:
I sorta contradicted myself with the question because zero for EVERYTHING as you mentioned is not what God’s love is for us. lol!

I sorta contradicted myself with the question because zero for EVERYTHING as you mentioned is not what God’s love is for us. lol!
Not everyone can marry, nor is everyone suited for marriage. Finally not everyone that can or is suited will find somebody interested in them. Ultimately having grace and maintaining it, is most important.

Last edited:
“Ultimately having grace and maintaining it, is most important.”

what does this mean?

“Ultimately having grace and maintaining it, is most important.”

what does this mean?
It is most important for a person to remain in a state of sanctifying grace through the end of life – which will maximize the expectation of salvation and merit. With regard to marriage, marriage may not be the best way to achieve that for a person.

if the self sacrificial love is the one we ought to imitate,
Odd though, other than for these few short years, for all the rest of eternity, you’re not going to need it. Essentially, it won’t exist.

because we will be in full communion with God in the new heavens and new earth?

hypothetically as i typed the original post, because applying the love of God unto the love of others would bypass all the complications associated with the human condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back