Appropriate day for a party?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VeritasLuxMea
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VeritasLuxMea

Guest
I’m talking about something more than a simple birthday party, I’m talking about a big bash.

Is Friday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of the call to abstinence on this day.

Is Saturday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because this is (as I understand it) the original Sabbath.

Is Sunday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of this being the day the Sabbath is honored.
 
imo if you’re thankful to God any day is good for a celebration…but I don’t claim to be one of the great thinkers of the Church.
 
I would imagine it might depend on the type of party really.

I would think any day (providing it’s moral) except Sunday. It’s God’s day for rest, we can’t be bustling about with distractions. Friday and Saturday are fine, abstinence (from whatever it is you abstain from on Friday) can actually be an occasion for you to preach a sermon without opening your mouth 😉
 
I’m talking about something more than a simple birthday party, I’m talking about a big bash.

Is Friday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of the call to abstinence on this day.

Is Saturday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because this is (as I understand it) the original Sabbath.

Is Sunday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of this being the day the Sabbath is honored.
Friday would be fine just find a way to abstain from something not involved in the party

saturday party away 🙂

Sunday you can party to just try to do most of the preparation on Saturday so that you have little work to do on Sunday. A party could be an enjoyable thing for you to do and could be considered rest, just make sure you don’t do all the work for it on sunday.
 
I’m talking about something more than a simple birthday party, I’m talking about a big bash.

Is Friday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of the call to abstinence on this day.

Is Saturday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because this is (as I understand it) the original Sabbath.

Is Sunday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of this being the day the Sabbath is honored.
Maybe Monday, tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are not appropriate too, for different reasons !!!😃
 
ANY DAY is a good day for a party! In MY very humble opinion… even Sunday. As long as you attend Mass, why not? You’re not working or toiling. I don’t see how preparation for a party is “work”.

Some disagree with a big bash on Sunday. If you’re one of those people, have it on Saturday.

I know that once upon a time in the United States, we had “blue laws”. Meaning that pretty much everything except ESSENTIAL retail and services were closed on Sundays. It was a far more pious time. I remember my town was like a ghost town. On Sunday, my dad used to take me to the Burlington Mall to ride my big wheel all around the parking lot IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! Try doing that today and see what happens… Saturday was business as usual at the mall.

What I am trying to say is that I can’t recall seeing or hearing ANYTHING that prohibited anyone from doing what they wanted on a Saturday.

Party on, dude.
 
ANY DAY is a good day for a party! In MY very humble opinion… even Sunday. As long as you attend Mass, why not? You’re not working or toiling. I don’t see how preparation for a party is “work”.

Some disagree with a big bash on Sunday. If you’re one of those people, have it on Saturday.

I know that once upon a time in the United States, we had “blue laws”. Meaning that pretty much everything except ESSENTIAL retail and services were closed on Sundays. It was a far more pious time. I remember my town was like a ghost town. On Sunday, my dad used to take me to the Burlington Mall to ride my big wheel all around the parking lot IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! Try doing that today and see what happens… Saturday was business as usual at the mall.

What I am trying to say is that I can’t recall seeing or hearing ANYTHING that prohibited anyone from doing what they wanted on a Saturday.

Party on, dude.
Totally agree, any day is a good day to party and drink. Party on, Wayne.
 
ANY DAY is a good day for a party! In MY very humble opinion… even Sunday. As long as you attend Mass, why not? You’re not working or toiling. I don’t see how preparation for a party is “work”.
It can be, depending on the party, but work isn’t the only factor. As the Catechism reminds us:
2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.
Should the party interfere, it isn’t moral. Ofcourse family get togethers can be fine (ofcourse, depending) but if my Irish idea of a “big bash” has anything to say then it likely wouldn’t be respectful of the Sabbath.
 
ANY DAY is a good day for a party! In MY very humble opinion… even Sunday. As long as you attend Mass, why not? You’re not working or toiling. I don’t see how preparation for a party is “work”.
It can be, depending on the party, but work isn’t the only factor. As the Catechism reminds us:
**2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. **
Should the party interfere, it isn’t moral. Ofcourse family get togethers can be fine (ofcourse, depending) but if my Irish idea of a “big bash” has anything to say then it likely wouldn’t be respectful of the Sabbath.
I think unless you are celebrating something sacreligious, a celebration or bash is an excellent tribute to God for all the good He has done for us. Although a BASH is usually best held on a Saturday. Recovery on Sunday before we trudge back to work on Monday.
 
Hmmmm… thank you for all the information everyone! 👍

The only one I’m still confused on is Sunday. Obviously we are required to go to Mass (well, including Saturday night if you prefer).

However, would someone mind elaborating on how to treat Sunday, when outside of Mass? Besides attending mass and avoiding manual labor, how else should the day be approached?
 
It can be, depending on the party, but work isn’t the only factor. As the Catechism reminds us:

Should the party interfere, it isn’t moral. Ofcourse family get togethers can be fine (ofcourse, depending) but if my Irish idea of a “big bash” has anything to say then it likely wouldn’t be respectful of the Sabbath.
I’m not sure how big of a tradition it is now but I know in the past that families would have big lunches after sunday mass. It is an opportunity to come together as a family and have a meal. I’m not sure if they prepared the meal that morning or the day before. It was probably ready when they got home.

I know my Mom’s family always had a big lunch after mass.

I would say as long as your are not straining yourself you are fine as far as parties go. For some people cooking is actually a relaxing thing to do, and their ideal day off would be to cook all day. I think as far as what can be done on the sabbath should be left up to the person themselves because what is exhausting for one person could be rejuvenating for another.
 
I’m not sure how big of a tradition it is now but I know in the past that families would have big lunches after sunday mass. It is an opportunity to come together as a family and have a meal. I’m not sure if they prepared the meal that morning or the day before. It was probably ready when they got home.

I know my Mom’s family always had a big lunch after mass.

I would say as long as your are not straining yourself you are fine as far as parties go. For some people cooking is actually a relaxing thing to do, and their ideal day off would be to cook all day. I think as far as what can be done on the sabbath should be left up to the person themselves because what is exhausting for one person could be rejuvenating for another.
In my family too we went to my aunts for dinner, but that’s more than fine. The previous verses (2184) say:
Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121 human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives
God of course, comes primarily.

Outside of Sunday Mass the day should be lived as the Church says, a day put aside for rest and reverence. As Jesus said, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath”. I wasn’t used to treating Sunday any differently than any other day apart from Mass, I wasn’t given any Catechisis when I was younger at all and just didn’t know. But now I’m so happy for it. It’s a real gift, so beneficial spiritually. Maybe these will be of help:

ewtn.com/expert/answers/sunday_mass.htm

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/06/pope-benedict-xvi-on-sundays.html
 
Hmmmm… thank you for all the information everyone! 👍

The only one I’m still confused on is Sunday. Obviously we are required to go to Mass (well, including Saturday night if you prefer).

However, would someone mind elaborating on how to treat Sunday, when outside of Mass? Besides attending mass and avoiding manual labor, how else should the day be approached?
I’m sure most won’t like this, but go to Mass either Saturday night or Sunday morning and then treat Sunday like any other day of the week.

Here in a few weeks, i’ll go to 8:30 Mass, come home, and park my butt in front of the TV watching NFL football for the next 5 months.
 
I’m sure most won’t like this, but go to Mass either Saturday night or Sunday morning and then treat Sunday like any other day of the week.

Here in a few weeks, i’ll go to 8:30 Mass, come home, and park my butt in front of the TV watching NFL football for the next 5 months.
It doesn’t matter what we like. It’s what God demands.
 
I’m talking about something more than a simple birthday party, I’m talking about a big bash.

Is Friday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of the call to abstinence on this day.

Is Saturday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because this is (as I understand it) the original Sabbath.

Is Sunday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of this being the day the Sabbath is honored.
Abstinence is not required on Fridays.
Some form of penance is required and you may choose what form of penance to do.
 
I’m talking about something more than a simple birthday party, I’m talking about a big bash.

Is Friday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of the call to abstinence on this day.

Is Saturday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because this is (as I understand it) the original Sabbath.

Is Sunday an inappropriate day for a Catholic to hold a big party? I ask because of this being the day the Sabbath is honored.
If I was throwing a big party I would do it on a Saturday. What is the call of abstinence on Friday? I don’t think I ever heard of this ???
 
In my family too we went to my aunts for dinner, but that’s more than fine. The previous verses (2184) say:

God of course, comes primarily.

Outside of Sunday Mass the day should be lived as the Church says, a day put aside for rest and reverence. As Jesus said, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath”. I wasn’t used to treating Sunday any differently than any other day apart from Mass, I wasn’t given any Catechisis when I was younger at all and just didn’t know. But now I’m so happy for it. It’s a real gift, so beneficial spiritually. Maybe these will be of help:

ewtn.com/expert/answers/sunday_mass.htm

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/06/pope-benedict-xvi-on-sundays.html
oh yeah if anything on that day comes before God then you need to seriously reevaluate your day and weekend.

one thing that I think takes away from the sabbath as far as college and high school students go is they don’t do their work till sunday so they spend all afternoon doing homework instead of taking advantage of the sabbath.

another interesting situation are for priests, many times they don’t have much of a sabbath day, well they do in the fact that they are doing the lords work but they don’t in the fact that they don’t have much time to rest. It may not be this way with every priest but their scheduled day off kinda becomes their day of rest instead of sunday mainly because they may not have time to rest on sunday. Especially if they are put in a parish that has 2 morning masses then a evening mass.

but this is kinda getting off topic.

what I say as far as the OP feel free to have a party on sunday just do all the preparations on Saturday so on Sunday all you really have to do is light preparation then just have lots of fun 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top