"Archbishop Paglia’s grave error" (Catholic Herald)

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clickbait title showing no respect for the archbishop.

The issue seems to be whether holding the hand of (or comforting or being present to) someone who is in the act of committing suicide constitutes cooperation with evil. I have a feeling that there are some nuances to this, but the blogger Chad Pecknold had judged and expounded.
 
Last edited:
The reporting style is quite different in this article. It reports what the archbishop said, without any moral analysis or judgment. Quite a contrast. Thank you for posting both articles.
 
Last edited:
Still, Archbishop Paglia contradicts the guidance given by the Swiss bishops.
 
I tend to agree with the Swiss bishops, but I can also understand the viewpoint of the Archbishop.

However, the reality is that the vast majority of people who die don’t get to check out with a priest sitting beside them. The exception might possibly be other priests, friends of priests, and immediate family members of priests. And of course, those who might manage to get hold of a priest for last rites and then the priest actually sticks around for the last act instead of rushing off on his many other necessary errands.

I am not sure how people who choose to set up an assisted suicide and invite the priest to be part of it - which is the only way this situation could happen - somehow get more attention and empathy and time from the priest than the vast numbers of good Catholics who die every day, often alone, often without even getting the last rites.

I realize this sounds like the “good son” complaining about the dad dancing attention on the “prodigal brother” - and in this case, the prodigal is even still prodigal, as a person determined to commit assisted suicide has NOT repented of that sin - but I can’t help it. These archbishops need to get a little more concerned for the regular people in their flock.
 
Last edited:
Keeping it in perspective, Archbishop Paglia was speaking of a hypothetical situation of a priest being present at a suicide. I imagine such situations in real life would be rare.

It is more likely that Catholic laypersons will have occasion to be present at a person’s death by suicide, and perhaps then we should consider the principles underlying his remarks.
 
Last edited:
God help us and this Archbishop has been given a position in the Church as the president of the Pontifical Academy for Life? Sick!
 
I don’t know–I just can’t imagine Jesus just holding someone’s hand as they commit an irrevocable mortal sin. I think He used the image of a shepherd for a reason. A shepherd does not accompany his sheep over the cliff. He even uses the crook if need be to to yank it back.

Whenever I hear “accompaniment” these days, I can’t help but think of this:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
as usual… as usual
as usual

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?
 
What if it was the priest’s favorite brother. Should he not go then?
 
If someone had slit their own wrists could a priest hold his hand? Sorry those two posts should have been one.
 
Paglia`s appointment by Pope Francis as president of the Pontifical Academy for Life is an example of a distasteful joke I suspect. His commissioning of a homoerotic mural in 2007 (featuring himself wearing a zuchetta no less!) plus other discreditable inclusions which can easily be found by by researching and viewing the “art” work online, is powerfully hammered in this serious critique below:

 
Last edited:
Meh, that mural doesn’t look at all homoerotic, or any kind of erotic, to me. It looks like a bad modern imitation of Michelangelo. With an extremely beefy Jesus.
 
Last edited:
I looked at most of that and all I’m seeing are people with earrings, tattoos, and hugging each other. There’s nothing erotic about it and the people look like typical people off urban streets, except they’re naked.
If the artist intended these people to be gay or trans or on drugs or what, then it’s not super obvious to the observer, and in any event, even if they are all those things, they could have repented 1 second before Christ saved them.

The most disturbing thing about that mural to me is that they covered a rose window to put it up. Sorry, I just don’t find it awful. Beefy Jesus kinda looks like he’s about to stamp out the Devil with his great big foot though.
 
Last edited:
Paglia`s appointment by Pope Francis as president of the Pontifical Academy for Life is an example of a distasteful joke I suspect. His commissioning of a homoerotic mural in 2007 (featuring himself wearing a zuchetta no less!) plus other discreditable inclusions…
If you think it is bad, why do you so publicly share it?
 
Last edited:
What if it was the priest’s favorite brother. Should he not go then?
Indeed, while we may have some questions about Archbishop Paglia’s statement, I think we should at least try to understand the good in it. He spoke of performing some works of mercy, comforting and praying, when other works of mercy, instructing and admonishing, have failed to prevent a sinful act.

The alternative is to leave someone alone to die. Tell me how that is good for the one who is dying. When, if ever, is it an act of love to abandon someone at the moment of death?
 
I don’t know–I just can’t imagine Jesus just holding someone’s hand as they commit an irrevocable mortal sin.
Suicide is an irrevocable grave act, but the dying person may still be saved. What could the hand-holder do, with God’s grace, to facilitate a deathbed conversion?
 
Last edited:
What is important is for the faithful and others who see it as infringing on the holiness of modesty and the respect of the figure of Christ. They are the people who matter regarding this choice of art. If there are those who have no problem with it then it is not an issue for them. But for those who are scandalized by it even the scriptures speak to not scandalizing the people of God. This Archbishop needs prayers and a conversion.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top