Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, TX

• Thread starter Thread starter davidc2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davidc2

This morning the Holy Father elevated the diocese of Galveston-Houston to an archdiocese (formerly it was part of the Province of San Antonio).
  • Named, Archbishop: Joseph Anthony Fiorenza (was the Bishop)
  • Named, Coadjutor Archbishop: Daniel Nicholas DiNardo (was the Coadjutor Bishop)
  • Suffragans: Austin, Beaumont, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Tyler, and Victoria in Texas

40.png
Orogeny:
Wow. Didn’t see that one coming.
Actually the just retired Archbishop of San Antonio spilled the beans to a local newspaper a couple of days ago - but now its official.

This is cool. I feel special being in an archdiocese now! How does this affect me though? What does it mean to be an archdiocese?

40.png
luke2219:
This is cool. I feel special being in an archdiocese now! How does this affect me though? What does it mean to be an archdiocese?
For the average person in the pew, the only difference you’ll see is on the bulletin and the sign out front of the church (“Diocese” will be replaced with “Archdiocese”).

The change is mostly an administrative thing.

Eventually the new archbishop will receive a “Pallium” and he’ll wear that as a sign of his role as a “metropolitan” (archbishop with a suffragan dioceses).

Also his seal will change - one extra level of tassles will be added.

(Like I said, most will never notice anything different 🙂

Bishop Fiorenzo confirmed me. he is a great man! congratulations to him and all the luck in the world!!!

40.png
davidc2:
Actually the just retired Archbishop of San Antonio spilled the beans to a local newspaper a couple of days ago - but now its official.
There also have been rumors of this for awhile apparently. Fiorenza said that it was first mentioned to him 20 years ago.
I am actually excited to be living in the new archdiocese, even though I shall be leaving soon (for college) anyways. I know it makes no real significant difference for me individually but I still find it interesting.

40.png
Tanais:
There also have been rumors of this for awhile apparently. Fiorenza said that it was first mentioned to him 20 years ago.
I am actually excited to be living in the new archdiocese, even though I shall be leaving soon (for college) anyways. I know it makes no real significant difference for me individually but I still find it interesting.
Yes, its been a subject of speculation for a number of years. Looking at the way the state was divided, it seems clear that at some point in the future a third archdiocese will be added (perhaps Dallas) - but likely some years away.

When was the last time that a new Archdiocese was created in the U.S.?

40.png
chicago:
When was the last time that a new Archdiocese was created in the U.S.?
29 July 1980 - when Mobile, AL became an archdiocese. Previously it had been a suffragan of New Orleans.

Can someone shed some light on the profile of the current Archbishop and on the future one, DiNardo?

Living in Austin, under Archbishop Flores, it didn’t seem that he influenced the things much here. We’re blessed for a wonderful bishop, Aymond.

TIA

I’ve copied part of another thread since my reply is more appropriate to this one.
luke2219 said:
The title of Archbishop had to go to Fiorenza since he’s the bishop of an archdiocese. The Coadjutor Archbishop: Daniel Nicholas DiNardo, will be taking over in about a year when Fiorenza retires. (Many of us down here are chomping at the bit!)
40.png
Augustine:
40.png
luke2219:
Mostly just speculation. Everything I’ve heard about DiNardo is great. I’ve heard he’s very Eucharistic and Marian. Many people have heard him speak and tell me that he’s an excellent speaker. He seems to have a reputation of being very orthodox and not timid. He’s seems to be the kind of person who makes you feel like the most important person in the room whenever he’s talking to you. I was visiting the seminary here and I happened to sit right next to him during evening prayer. I didn’t know who he was at the time and I thought he was just another priest since there were so many there at the time. Before I even realized who he was I had already felt touched by him. I can’t explain it, but even though he didn’t speak to me, I felt very accepted, loved, and like I was important to him. All he did was help me find my place in the hymnal.

I don’t have any hard evidence so I’m sure that I didn’t give you the answer you were looking for. Many of us here are very excited and hopeful, but since most of the things we know are pure speculation, we try to maintain a healthy wait-and-see attitude.
40.png
Augustine:
Am I right reading between the lines that you contrasted some aspects of Bishop DiNardo with some of Archbishop Fiorenza?

Well…yes. I was trying not to make that obvious. I know little about Fiorenza from first-hand experience. I have been a little disappointed in some of his decisions and statements. Everything I have read by him (which is very little) was orthodox, but it was ambiguous. It could have been taken in a heterodox and progressive way or a conservative and orthodox way. This is in line with what I’ve heard from others more knowledgeable than me on the matter. My opinion is that he is a good bishop and I am grateful for his many years of dedicated service to the Church and to this diocese. However, I think that this diocese is ready for a more personal, direct, and confident leader and that we will be getting that with DiNardo.

Please don’t try to read any more into that than what I said. 🙂 I can offer nothing but speculation and hearsay. I’ve probably said too much already and I do not want to damage the reputation of a bishop who truly has done many great things in the service of God and this diocese.

Pax et bonum

I’ve personally met Bishop diNardo and was very impressed with him–he’s very warm and enthusiastic. He told my husband and me about his teen-aged years in a minor seminary and how supportive his parents were whether he had a calling or not. I’ve attended one Mass he celebrated and his homily was an excellent catechetical lesson. He also spoke extensively on vocations. It was a school Mass and he really had the children sitting up in the pews. Later that day when I picked up my children and two of their friends from school, they were all bubbling over with how great his homily was. I have a lot of respect for a bishop that can deliver a homily appreciated by both the parents and a bunch of 9-year-old girls.

I don’t know if that really answers your question but that’s at least a good personal experience.

I went to midnight Mass at the Cathedral on Christmas Eve with Dinardo and he was AWESOME!! That was the first time I saw DiNardo and I was thoroughly impressed. I’ve met Fiorenza and he is somewhat impersonal whereas DiNardo was very personable. I look forward to DiNardo!

I haven’t yet had the chance to meet Bishop DiNardo yet but the principal at my kids school and several of the other parents have. You can count me among those that are chomping at the bit.

I have only been in the Diocese for 6 years after living “up North”. The Galveston-Houston diocese is interesting, to say the least. While ArchBishop Fiorenza seems to be personally pretty “by-the-book” liturgically, most of the parishes here are rather free-wheeling. Fiorenza has a reputation as someone who is slow to step in regarding how pastors run their parishes, even when serious abuse is involved. I agree with luke2219 about his writings - it is hard to pin him down theologically. One of my big beefs is with the diocisan newspaper. It has printed some outright heretical articles and columns. While the Bishop may not have a lot of direct involvement in the paper, it does reflect back on him and is symptomatic of his shepherding. On the other hand, he has made real postive change at the seminary and supports the Respect Life movement.

DiNardo has indicated that opening more Catholic schools will be a big priority for him and we need them. He contacted a lot of people before he got to Texas looking for different perspectives. One of the most intriguing things is that a few very UNorthodox pastors are rumored to have announced thier early retirements to coincide with Firorenza’s retirement. Bishop DiNardo is also said to have been the “push” behind the implementation of Redemptionis Sacramentum in less than a year which is amazing since the new GIRM was never completely implemented prior.

We will have to be patient and keep praying. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back