Are All Anathemas of the Catechism of the Council of Trent Still Binding on Catholics Today?

• Thread starter Thread starter SetYouFree
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SetYouFree

• Yes.
  • No.
  • I will not vote because I dislike the correct answer.
0 voters

What’s the reason for your question? Because it’s very leading. Are there any Anathemas you have in mind?

Last edited:
“Is heresy still bad if it’s really, really old heresy?”

…yes?

This question doesn’t make sense unless you ask us about something specifically. What did you come across that’s troubling to you?

40.png
Passage from catechism of trent Moral Theology
duties of wives THE CATECHISM OF TRENT: The Sacraments – Matrimony “The wife should love to remain at home, unless compelled by necessity to go out; and she should never presume to leave home without her husband’s consent.” what does this mean exactly? i really hope it’s not what it looks like at face value reading. very confused. because it really seems to say that wives are not allowed to leave the house unless it’s a necessity. maybe it’s a bad translation? or some missing context?
Do you think saying wives do not require their husband’s permission to leave the house is anathema?

Reactions: Nik
Focusing on session 6 of the council itself since that session is probably the most controversial, it’s not meant just for Catholics, but was primarily aimed at Reformed positions. “Anathema” meant something like being “shunned”. It was considered very serious to hold these novel and erroneous beliefs-and it is; the Christian faith as a whole, outside of the Church, contains a lot of confused theology overall since that time. And while neither side uses such “non-ecumenical” language nowadays, it’s also true that the Church’s position towards those holding heretical views isn’t necessarily the same now, simply because these views took hold in many areas and have been considered “traditional” by many believers for centuries now, being born into an environment where they were prevalent.

Wounds to unity

817 In fact, "in this one and only Church of God from its very beginnings there arose certain rifts, which the Apostle strongly censures as damnable. But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions appeared and large communities became separated from full communion with the Catholic Church - for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame."269 The ruptures that wound the unity of Christ’s Body - here we must distinguish heresy, apostasy, and schism270 - do not occur without human sin:

Where there are sins, there are also divisions, schisms, heresies, and disputes. Where there is virtue, however, there also are harmony and unity, from which arise the one heart and one soul of all believers.271

818 "However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers . . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."272

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

Last edited:
So this thread is even more spiteful and un-charitable than it seems?
Boy oh boy. Can’t say it’s a shock.

The Tridentine Catechism does not declare anathemas because it is not a judicial text that establishes canonical penalties. With that in mind, not all anathemas of the Council proper are perpetually binding. Some examples include:
  • Session 4 declared anathema against printers of Sacred Scripture who did not receive permission to do so from their ordinary.
  • Session 24 declared anathema against any who appropriate the Church’s property. It also anathematizes those who prevent or hinder others from freely contracting into marriage.
  • Session 25 declared anathema against those who prevent or force women into entering a convent.

I don’t have a passing familiarity with this topic. Would there be an easy list somewhere?

This poll is meaningless as it is not a yes or no answer— and choice three is nonsensical.

Because councils have both doctrinal and disciplinary canons commingled together.

Doctrines don’t change, disciplines do.

Therefore, some are binding and some are not.

I voted “Yes.” and it is because I am a Catholic who believes all anathemas of the Catholic Church.

I voted “Yes.” and it is because I am a Catholic who believes all anathemas of the Catholic Church.
Do you understand the difference between doctrine and discipline? You may be a Catholic, but I don’t think you understand how Church councils work.

If someone dies and is anathema according to the Catholic Church, where do they exist eternally, heaven or hell?

This poll is meaningless as it is not a yes or no answer— and choice three is nonsensical.
It’s not intended to be a real poll. It’s just a wisecrack, and a pretty weak one.

There is nothing spiteful and un-charitable about the Catechism of the Council of Trent., This thread is about the Catechism of the Council of Trent.
You realise then the Anathemas come from the Canons of the Council of Trent, and not the Catechism of Trent, yes? I also will cite a quote from the Introduction in the Baronius Press version of the Catechism of Trent:
“Official documents have occasionally been issued by Popes to explain certain points of Catholic teaching to individuals, or to local Christian communities; whereas the Roman Catechism comprises practically the whole body of Christian doctrine, and is addressed to the whole Church. Its teaching is not infallible; but it holds a place between approved catechisms and what is de fide.
Only a radical Feminist would have a problem asking their husband if they can leave home.
That’s not what I asked. I asked:
Do you think saying wives do not require their husband’s permission to leave the house is anathema?
Is it required? Is it anathema to say it’s not? If it is anathema to say so, then please cite the canon from Trent saying so. Because that line has no citations from the canons of Trent.
Remember the eternal consequences of being wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back