Are all living Catholics on Earth saints?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Loud-living-dogma
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP’s question would actually be a good one for a teaching or homily, since the usage of the term “saints” varies even within the Latin Catholic Church. I can see confusion resulting when the Church on the one hand is including everyone on earth in the “Communion of Saints” like we are saints already, and many other teachings/ writings saying we are “called to be saints” like we are not saints already and this is something that only happens after we achieve a certain holiness level and/or are dead and gone to Heaven.
 
I disagree. You said it meant saint or holy ones. Those are not the same! The Catholic Church has a specific definition of saints. The Catholic church gave us the Bible, and when their is disagreement to what is meant the Holy Spirit will interpret the Bible through the Catholic Church. One of the reasons we have thousands of different churches is people think that the Holy Spirit allows them to interpret the Bible. They are in error. This is the last I will say on this subject. Peace!
 
I disagree. You said it meant saint or holy ones.
Actually, they are. They are exactly the same. I suggest you check a Greek or Hebrew Lexicon such as BDB or BDAG.
The Catholic Church has a specific definition of saints.
The Catholic Church has a process for the canonization or recognition of saints. This doesn’t conflict with the actual Biblical use of the word saint. And in point of fact, it appears you don’t even fully understand your own Church’s doctrine. I suggest you read the catechism section that deals with the Communion of Saints.
The Catholic church gave us the Bible, and when their is disagreement to what is meant the Holy Spirit will interpret the Bible through the Catholic Church.
Again, if the Church’s teaching departs from the apostolic teaching, then you are in error. Period. You know how I know that? Because even on points with which we disagree the Church will always try to appeal to scripture to defend its viewpoint.
One of the reasons we have thousands of different churches is people think that the Holy Spirit allows them to interpret the Bible. They are in error.
That is precisely what the Church claims about its authority to interpret scripture. Your argument here is self-defeating.
 
Last edited:
That would not be correct; we are part of the Church Militant and most of us are hardly saints, although we should be aspiring to be so. The words are not interchangeable.
 
Thanks everyone – I think the teacher needs to define his terms! 😃
 
I"m asking this because a religion teacher supposedly told a religion class this. It’s possible I am getting a garbled message of what he said, and I think his statement is wrong, but I am wondering if there is another way to understand this, or if I am oversimplifying it in some way.
Placing said teacher on the side burner - It’s of primary importance to dive into Source Material - such as Sacred Scriptures (in particular The New Testament - especially the GOSPEL) as well as for instance the Cathechism of The Catholic Church…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top