Are eyebrow tattoos for the sick a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlruwhAlquds
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlruwhAlquds

Guest
I am against tattoos. But my mother in law has alopecia, she’s been prayerful and it’s grown in on her scalp. However, her left eyebrow (over half of it) stays bald and white for the past couple of years. It’s obvious because she still has lovely dark thick hair and bright skin. It was suggested she get “a cosmetic tattoo.” Apparently the eyebrow tattoos don’t always take and many folks go back for multiple visits. She wants just enough so that she doesn’t have to keep drawing it – it gets hot, she plays with grand kids, it comes off etc. etc. She tried going without covering it and it’s silly but she says she can “feel” it gone, almost like a glare from the light because she’s used to her dark hair. She feels uncomfortable without it at least drawn on but that’s not always reliable.

I don’t see the problem with it and I’m not even sure an eyebrow tattoo in her case would be a sin. I don’t think it’s a problem because she’s isn’t one to get a tattoo or lavish herself in cosmetics and she’s a practicing Catholic.

I’d love to hear any thoughts
 
Well, I didn’t know. Since my mother in law had reservations, I thought she knew something I didn’t. I always hear how wrong it is, I’ve never read or heard about when you could actually do it.
 
Any of my business? My mother in law who is contemplating the tattoo was discussing it with me! I was curious since I heard it’s a sin to get a tattoo so I asked. She was sitting next to me when I asked online. Maybe now you understand. I’m not sure how you get off asking me that one?!

Some people I’ve known cite Leviticus about don’t cut up your body, tattoos and etc. In the case of an eyebrow missing, she was wondering if she was cutting up her body because of vanity, which is a sin as well.
 
I heard it’s a sin to get a tattoo
It isn’t a sin.
My mother in law who is contemplating the tattoo was discussing it with me!
That wasn’t clear in your first post. Thank you for clarifying.
Some people I’ve known cite Leviticus about don’t cut up your body, tattoos and etc.
Leviticus doesn’t say anything about the modern form of tattoos. And we are not bound by the Levitical laws.

Context is important. The Levitical prohibition regarding printing marks upon ourselves related to the cultural practices of pagans tattooing images and symbols of their gods on their bodies and also of branding slaves.

Beware of those who proof-text. That’s not an authentic, Catholic way to read the Bible.
 
It is not a sin.

She might want to look into microblading. It gives a much more natural appearance.
 
I hope it’s not a sin to get a tattoo as I have a few. Also contemplating getting another of the Infant of Prague in thanksgiving for prayers answered.
 
The Church does not consider tattoos sinful. Whether people wish to get them or not is a matter of personal taste, their ability to afford the tattoo, the subject matter of the tattoo (obviously an obscene or blasphemous image would be wrong), and perhaps culture (as some cultures think very highly of tattoos and other cultures really frown on them).

Your mother-in-law has a good reason for wanting the tattoo - to compensate for a medical problem she has. It’s not just vanity. I presume she also will be able to afford the tattoo.

So overall I see no problem with it.
 
Any of my business? My mother in law who is contemplating the tattoo was discussing it with me!
Yes, of course it’s your business. A person in need, who is a family member, is asking for your advice. Tell her to go ahead and try the tattoo. It’s not a sin!
 
Last edited:
No it is not a sin. Some protestants believeit is but not Catholics.
 
I was just replying back to Ike who said it wasn’t my business.

Thank you for the answer! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top