Are Lapel Mics Licit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheMc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheMc

Guest
You’ve probably figured out already that I’m taking a “devil’s advocate” stance, but I’d really like to see a discussion on this. Anyone have document clips supporting either side?

I’d like to see where this goes.
 
Is the thrust of your issue (1) whether it is licit to amplify the priest’s voice, or (2) whether it is licit for the priest to wear a device? I’m guessing the latter, but then it makes about as much sense as to ask “Is is licit for a priest to wear a watch?”, “Is it licit for a priest to wear a scapular?”, “Is it licit for a priest to wear a hearing aid?”, or “Is it licit for a maniple to have strings or a band attached by which means it can be secured to the forearm?”

Incidentally, the only reference I know of is in Sing to the Lord ¶ 21: “While the assembly sings, the priest should step back from a microphone, or, if he is using a wireless microphone, he should turn it off.”
 
(2) whether it is licit for the priest to wear a device? I’m guessing the latter, but then it makes about as much sense as to ask “Is is licit for a priest to wear a watch?”, “Is it licit for a priest to wear a scapular?”, “Is it licit for a priest to wear a hearing aid?”
Ah, but all these things are things that the priest would wear in his everyday life, and thus are not subject to the rubrics, whereas a microphone is something worn specifically for his function at Mass (I deleted the reference to the maniple since I am not very familiar with that vestment 😛 )
Incidentally, the only reference I know of is in Sing to the Lord ¶ 21: “While the assembly sings, the priest should step back from a microphone, or, if he is using a wireless microphone, he should turn it off.”
Well, I think that settles it 😉
 
From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“306. Only what is required for the celebration of the Mass may be placed on the mensa of the altar: namely, from the beginning of the celebration until the proclamation of the Gospel, the Book of the Gospels; then from the Presentation of the Gifts until the purification of the vessels, the chalice with the paten, a ciborium if necessary, and, finally, the corporal, the purificator, the pall, and the Missal.
In addition, microphones that may be needed to amplify the priest’s voice should be arranged discreetly.” (My bold text.)
 
What is a maniple? I have never heard of this.
And to chime in on licit microphones, would you rather the Pastor scream? Then would it be licit for him to have on his presence Hall’s cough drops?
 
From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“306. Only what is required for the celebration of the Mass may be placed on the mensa of the altar: namely, from the beginning of the celebration until the proclamation of the Gospel, the Book of the Gospels; then from the Presentation of the Gifts until the purification of the vessels, the chalice with the paten, a ciborium if necessary, and, finally, the corporal, the purificator, the pall, and the Missal.
In addition, microphones that may be needed to amplify the priest’s voice should be arranged discreetly.” (My bold text.)
I’m not really interested in entering into a discussion about the topic, but what you quoted referes to what can be placed on the alter, not about a lapel mic (which is placed on the outfit itself).
 
What is a maniple? I have never heard of this.
And to chime in on licit microphones, would you rather the Pastor scream? Then would it be licit for him to have on his presence Hall’s cough drops?
A maniple is an embroidered band which hangs from the left arm.
 
, and, finally, the corporal, the purificator, the pall, and the Missal.
.)
So does that mean that the Missal isn’t placed on the altar until after the offertory, in effect? I mean , it shouldn’t bethere from the beginning?
 
Our world and technology changes so fast, that the rubrics cannot follow it. The lapel mic is a technical aid, necessary for large churches, so is the projectors or other devices. These devices only help the communication, consequently in itself they are indifferent, they do not convey any good or bad theological message. They are useful regardless weather they are explicitly allowed or not. The message itself shall be controlled, not the device communicating the message.
 
Didn’t our Holy Father just release some kind of directive that the Church is supposed to seek to embrace technical advances with the goal of communicating the Gospel better to the world?
 
What is a maniple? I have never heard of this.
And to chime in on licit microphones, would you rather the Pastor scream? Then would it be licit for him to have on his presence Hall’s cough drops?
It’s a stole-like vestment worn on the left forearm. Properly, it’s the symbol of the subdeaconate, as lesser ministers were not to wear it, but until after VII, it was normally worn by subdeacons, deacons, priests, and bishops of the Roman Church.

It hangs, often 2 feet in length, being pinned to the alb, or, rarely, tied to the elbow or wrist, to hold it in place. Usually it is of matching material to the stole and the tunicle, dalmatic, chasuble, or cope.

You will see it commonly used in the Extraordinary Form.
 
You’ve probably figured out already that I’m taking a “devil’s advocate” stance, but I’d really like to see a discussion on this. Anyone have document clips supporting either side?

I’d like to see where this goes.
This is a joke, right???
 
Our world and technology changes so fast, that the rubrics cannot follow it. The lapel mic is a technical aid, necessary for large churches, so is the projectors or other devices. These devices only help the communication, consequently in itself they are indifferent, they do not convey any good or bad theological message. They are useful regardless weather they are explicitly allowed or not. The message itself shall be controlled, not the device communicating the message.
I understand what you’re saying, and agree to a degree, but projectors aren’t allowed.
De Musica Sacra:
The use of any kind of projector, and particularly movie projectors, with or without sound track, is strictly forbidden in church for any reason, even if it be for a pious, religious, or charitable cause.
And for those who have not seen a maniple, here’s two good pictures of them being worn. It is symbolic of the toils and sorrows of the priesthood, because originally it was a sort of handkerchief tied to the arm. Now it has evolved into an ornamental vestment, but still full of symbolism.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
You’ve probably figured out already that I’m taking a “devil’s advocate” stance, but I’d really like to see a discussion on this. Anyone have document clips supporting either side?

I’d like to see where this goes.
" Devils Advocate" a interesting choice of words from one questioning the actions of a priest regarding his licit or ilicit use of a mic.
 
Incidentally, the only reference I know of is in Sing to the Lord ¶ 21: “While the assembly sings, the priest should step back from a microphone, or, if he is using a wireless microphone, he should turn it off.”
Our priest has a beautiful singing voice while at least 3/4 of the congregation don’t even try to sing. Most don’t even open the book. If Father turned off his mic, the hymn would simply fade away to nothing before the first verse was half way through.

On a side note - A couple of years ago my wife and I attended mass at the local cathedral. While the procession was forming the priest must have been unaware that his wireless mic was on, because just before the gathering hymn began his voice went booming over the PA system: “Hey, is a special high holy day or something? Jim Jones is here. I only see him on Christmas and Easter. Huh? What’s on? OH MY - click.” The tension and embarrassment in the air was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. After the hymn this priest, rather than beginning the mass from his chair, always walks to the front of the sanctuary. As he did so, you could have heard a pin drop. He looked out over the congregation, took and dramatic pause and said, “Hey Jim. Good to see you.”

We were half way through the first reading before all the laughter and snickering died away completely.
 
" Devils Advocate" a interesting choice of words from one questioning the actions of a priest regarding his licit or ilicit use of a mic.
…except that TheMc is not really questioning a priest but rather the sensibilities of a bunch of posters on an internet forum.
 
Reread the fiist post. He is the op
Exactly.

And I don’t think he’s nearly so concerned with whether or not lapel mics are licit as he is in seeing us discuss/argue whether or not lapel mics are licit.

…or maybe I’m just projecting because it amuses me to see how passionately people discuss such topics.
 
Exactly.

And I don’t think he’s nearly so concerned with whether or not lapel mics are licit as he is in seeing us discuss/argue whether or not lapel mics are licit.

…or maybe I’m just projecting because it amuses me to see how passionately people discuss such topics.
Some buddies and I were having a theoretical discussion on if it could be proved either way using the documents, and I thought it might be interesting to extend it to the forum, to see if anyone else had some different points. Ok, so there wasn’t really any practical point to my thread. We knew they probably were ok, but we were enjoying having a discussion for the sake of a discussion.

The only thing we came up with was GIRM 306, but nothing else.
 
Some buddies and I were having a theoretical discussion on if it could be proved either way using the documents, and I thought it might be interesting to extend it to the forum, to see if anyone else had some different points. Ok, so there wasn’t really any practical point to my thread. We knew they probably were ok, but we were enjoying having a discussion for the sake of a discussion.

The only thing we came up with was GIRM 306, but nothing else.
So why play a game with us?

Why didn’t you just start the thread out with this explanation as part of the original post?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top