M
mark_a
Guest
Who did Edwin have in mind?
Oh I believe they may change once, but not twice.I realize your comments were about all apologists, I was just using the Catholic as the example.
I don’t think apologists are as dishonest as you think. I do think that many may be decieved by themselves but I think that most would be willing to change faiths if they came to a new realization. It takes sort of a revelation for a person to change their position and to change their faith. You can’t simply make logical conclusions and come up with a reasoning that one church is the truth. Those logical conclusions may be valid and true but that is not enough to get a person to change. People will always view those facts from their own perspective. A switch of faith usually is a switch of viewpoint. One fact obtains a whole new meaning.
Eventually it always reduces to “I believe this because I can accept the apparent inconsistency (mystery) derived from my reasoning, while my discussion partner can’t.”Quote:
Originally Posted by Keikiolu
We can know by what the apologist exposes of himself.
If the “discussion” doesn’t tend toward clarity and understanding, then the “apologist” is not an apologist but a bully.
By simply talking for a while, then “sniffing the resultant atmosphere for the stench of confusion”, you can come to know the character of the “apologist”.
If they give themselves away, yes, we can know. Your remark about clarity in discussion brings to mind some I’ve watched, for example, those about what type of certainty Catholics have that they know the truth. Those don’t seem to yield clarity. I am tempted to figure the (other) Catholic is being deliberately obtuse, but that doesn’t mean they actually are. Perhaps I am merely blind, I freely acknowledge. But lack of clarity to me is not a sure signal of foul play on their part. It can be an indicator, I agree.
I think you are right, but for the wrong reason. It is rare for someone of note to switch back, but not because of criticism. The process of conversion from the faith one has held for most of their life is demanding and intense. One does not lightly abandon ones views, even in search of truth. It is unlikely that someone like Jimmy Akin is unfamiliar with any arguement against the Catholic Church.Oh I believe they may change once, but not twice.
For instance, I doubt Jimmy Akin would go back to Protestantism unless some earth shattering thing happened.
Imagine the criticism he’d face.
This is an incredibly insightful comment which it seems was unfortunately overlooked.I don’t get it. If truth doesn’t have sides (which it doesn’t) how can one give both sides. Wouldn’t it be more dishonest to argue a point of view one new to be untrue just for balance?
That is a question I categorically refuse to answer. I did not have anyone in particular in mind, but I think you can see a certain demoralizing effect in anyone who makes apologetics one of their main pursuits–even in C. S. Lewis, perhaps the greatest apologist of the 20th century. He was great in large part because he recognized the dangers of what he was doing.Who did Edwin have in mind?