The Catholic Catechism’s stance on salvation of non-Christians, especially Muslims
I hope and presume that you mean that the Catechism takes a particularly lenient stance toward Muslims (classing them in some sense with Christians and Jews rather than with pagans), and not that you have more problems with Muslims being saved than, say, with Hindus.
is one of my last obstacles to becoming Catholic. I understand that God is merciful and I believe it is certainly possible for these people to be saved
Then this should be no obstacle
but I get the feeling that the Church is drifting from “its possible” to “its guaranteed, so why evangelize?”
If you don’t trust the Catholic Church not to “drift” into heresy then you certainly shouldn’t be Catholic. If you think the Catholic Church’s position is currently heretical, that’s a serious issue. But if you are worried about a trend, don’t be. There are always trends within the Church (however we define the Church) that if followed would lead to heresy. Orthodoxy consists in not following those trends beyond a certain point.
The following statement from the Catechism is most troubling to me:
“
The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day” (CCC 841)."
Does this statement mean
- Muslims are automatically going to be saved; there is no need for them to convert.
- Muslims may be saved if they are invincibly ignorant, but this is not guaranteed; they need to be evangelized.
- Something else
I think that it means 2, or perhaps “something else” with a strong dose of 2. Obviously it doesn’t mean 1. Even Catholics aren’t automatically saved, for goodness’ sake! Have you really thought about your wording here?
The main argument for 3 over 2 is the implication that the Muslims are not saved simply by their ignorance but by their acknowledgment of the Creator. However, that should be self-evident. No one is saved by a lack of something (culpable rejection of the truth). Evil is a privation of good, not the other way round. We are saved by the grace of God, made known to us in the self-revelation of God. The most the Catechism can be made to say is that if all you have of God’s self-revelation is that God is Creator, then that will save you.
Myself, I have some problems with that too. I would prefer to say that we are saved only by Christ, but that any truth and goodness made known to us has the natural tendency of leading us toward salvation through Christ. This salvation can only be said to take place when we are confronted with Christ and respond by faith–in the case of those who never truly hear the Gospel, this may not happen till death.
However, I think my view is compatible with what the Catechism says, and a case can be made (though I don’t agree with it) that a doctrine of salvation at or after death (one reason I don’t agree is that my view places the decisive moment at, not after death) opens a bigger can of worms than does the “inclusivist” view which is the most obvious reading of the Catechism.
In Christ,
Edwin