Are priests allowed to drink alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
“ . . . Afterall they can’t exactly go buy it themselves could they? I think that’d Look sort of tacky to be spending collection-plate money on booze…
[/quote]

@Jen7

Honestly? Not just in public, but online, for all the world to see, you referred to a priest’s salary as “collection-plate money”?
 
Your parish financial statement is not a secret. Perhaps it is helpful to speak to your finance council?
 
Of course it wouldn’t be wrong. Obviously not to excess, but it’s fine to have more than a drink or two if the situation is, let us say, more festive. Prudence and diligence are our friends.
Exactly. None of the faithful should enjoy anything in violation of the boundaries of virtue, but especially not a priest. Those boundaries aren’t so narrow as to forbid all alcohol use by priests excepting requiring it at Mass. (In a way, boundaries like that would be nonsensical.)
 
Last edited:
In Essex priests are allocated £247 a month. Our priest told us all last year.
 
Strange question. Priests are REQUIRED to drink alcohol as part of celebrating Mass.

Of course they can drink. And of course they must do so prudently as we al must.

They shouldn’t get drunk.or make themselves incapable of driving if they might need to. But most adults can drink moderately and not be impaired in any way.
 
I think it’d be wise for them not to drink to the point of being unable to drive, right? The church teaches that drunkenness is a sin, afterall.
The level at which reflexes and reaction time are impaired is far below any level that would reasonably be described as “drunk.” (and this is a major factor in the problem with DUI . . .)

And if priests were barred from alcohol, it would be kind of difficult to have Mass . . .
 
They are normal men, and many men (myself included) like beer. While it’s true, priests might have some responsibilities that require them to drive here or there more often than we do, I can’t imagine forbidding them to drink alcohol. It’s a good question though!
 
Honestly? Not just in public, but online, for all the world to see, you referred to a priest’s salary as “collection-plate money”?
Well I thought it was from the collection plate. I didn’t realize until reading this that they get a salary from the diocese. So, yes, I said that. I was wrong. You seem upset about it. Don’t we all make mistakes?!
 
Afterall they can’t exactly go buy it themselves could they? I think that’d Look sort of tacky to be spending collection-plate money on booze…
What a priest does with his paycheck is his own business, for the most part. As long as a priest is being responsible with his money and has a certain degree of modesty in his way of life, there’s no reason he can’t go out and buy a nice Scotch every once in a while, for example. Priests can occasionally enjoy some of the good things in this life too, you know.
 
Well I thought it was from the collection plate. I didn’t realize until reading this that they get a salary from the diocese. So, yes, I said that. I was wrong. You seem upset about it. Don’t we all make mistakes?!
I believe that it is the parish that mostly supports the priest, at least salary-wise. Although the diocese supports priests in other ways (insurance, etc.)
 
Last edited:
. As long as a priest is being responsible with his money and has a certain degree of modesty in his way of life, there’s no reason he can’t go out and buy a nice Scotch every once in a while, for example. Priests can occasionally enjoy some of the good things in this life too, you know.
Oh yes I’m sure he can! My comment was just for the priest. I felt that since he was essentially living off the charity of his parishioners (so I thought) he might be embarrassed to be seen buying fancy alcohol. If I was living off donations I think I’d feel self conscious if any of my donors saw me buying things beyond the essentials. But that’s just me I suppose.
 
First, what you originally said made it sound like the priest was just grabbing some money out of the collections for his own use, so it looked bad.

Second, if the parish does pay its own priest, as seems to happen in some dioceses, then the collection plate money would go into the general funds of the parish and then part would be distributed to those who work for the parish as their pay, so the priest would not be “living off the charity of his parishioners,” so he should not be embarrassed to buy whatever he wants, as long as it is moral.
 
First, what you originally said made it sound like the priest was just grabbing some money out of the collections for his own use, so it looked bad.
Well I figured that’s what he did - took what he needed from whatever was collected & the rest went to upkeep of the church or the poor. So I figured it’d be awkward for him to buy his own alcohol or anything else “splurge-y.” I was wrong. I’m kind of glad… although I now see my priest as more of an “employee” and less of a person dependent on what I give every Sunday. I have family members in religious orders and they LITERALLY depend on donations & sales of whatever is in the gift shop. It’s very moving to see. And when one of those family members was visiting he wouldn’t let us take him out to a nice dinner because he felt it could give scandal to the other patrons at the restaurant. He said he represents The Church and needs to be seen identifying with the poor, not eating well in a restaurant. I was impressed. But I suppose not every priest takes that approach. The salary piece explains better why.
 
Second, if the parish does pay its own priest, as seems to happen in some dioceses, then the collection plate money would go into the general funds of the parish and then part would be distributed to those who work for the parish as their pay, so the priest would not be “living off the charity of his parishioners,” so he should not be embarrassed to buy whatever he wants, as long as it is moral.
Well interesting. I thought of priests as poor I guess & thought the Sunday basket was like giving to charity. Sounds like it’s not. I’m actually a bit irritated I never knew this.
 
Parish priests are paid a salary which generally comes from the parish revenue, i.e. the weekly collection. However the weekly collection also funds most of the parish needs such as salary of the lay staff, program budgets, and general maintenance of the facility, and all other costs of running the parish.

A parish priest’s salary isn’t large, however most often he is not paying housing costs such as power, water, gas and such. They do however purchase and maintain their own vehicles. They do not pay for health insurance or contribute to their retirement. A priest may use his salary for whatever he chooses but of course not cause scandal.
 
My thoughts and opinions…

-Yes of course priests can drink. I think a drink or two for a meal is healthy will put very very few men anywhere near the drinking limit in the US.
-I’ve never once been at a parish where a single individual priest was available around the clock 24/7 throughout the year. They take vacations. They had other priests cover for them. I’m glad they take breaks.
-In my experience diocesan priests get paid by their parish and gifts from parishioners. In many places they get a nice house/apartment to stay in. Sometimes they get food or a car too. I see the room and board as a different way to be compensated.
-Yes of course they have other sources of income…investments, inheritance, and other jobs. Yes of course they can build wealth. In fact, some are reasonably well off. Let’s not obfuscate this by a difficult thread to follow. I have no problems with this, but it is a legitimate conversation and we should be honest about it.
 
Last edited:
Diocesan priest receive a salary from the Dioceses.

They are not mandated to take vows of poverty and can build up wealth for themselves.

Priest in Religious Orders, like Carmelites and Franciscans, do make vows of poverty.
It depends on the diocese I suppose. In my diocese the parishes pay their priest’s salary.

The vow is one of personal poverty. They own nothing, it all belongs to their Order or Congregation. Some congregations are better off than others. When our Pastors were religious (the Oblates of Mary Immaculate founded our parish and served it from 1958 until 2012) the parish paid them a stipend based on the contract between their community and the diocese. Depending on which province (division of their congregation) they belonged to they were either able to bank their stipend or had to forward it to their congregation and their bursar would then provide them with a small amount to cover their personal needs.
 
In my home diocese, the priest was paid by the diocese. The pastor’s salary did not appear on the parish budget, just the salaries of any lay employees. The parish contributed the cathedral tax or whatever’s it’s called… not sure if that’s true Canada wide or diocese by diocese.
It must be diocese by diocese. In our diocese the parish pays the cathedraticum of 10%, 8% to the diocese and 2% to the retired priests fund. We also pay our priest’s salary the amount mandated by the diocese for all priests serving as Pastors (few of those) or Administrators (more of those). In our parish we have no other employee.

The use of the rectory is considered a taxable benefit so, while they never see it in their pay cheque, the value is added to their income and they are taxed on it. If they own their own car, the upkeep of which is at their expense, they are given a taxable car allowance. In our parish the car belongs to the diocese and the parish is responsible for the insurance and upkeep (new tires, gas, winterizing, etc.).
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top