H
Holly3278
Guest
Hey everyone. I was just wondering, are some mortal sins considered more serious or more sinful than others? I suspect that the answer is yes but I am not certain so I thought I’d ask here. Thanks!
I’m sure you will get many and varied answers on this…but to me it only over complicates something that is very straight forward.Hey everyone. I was just wondering, are some mortal sins considered more serious or more sinful than others? I suspect that the answer is yes but I am not certain so I thought I’d ask here. Thanks!
There are different degrees of punishment in Hell, depending on the gravity and number of each soul’s unrepentant actual mortal sins.Mortal sin = condemnation = separation from God…just exactly HOW separated from God ( to what degree or how far) is of no importance whatsoever.
So my question is…Which of the “degrees of punishment in hell” does one prefer?There are different degrees of punishment in Hell, depending on the gravity and number of each soul’s unrepentant actual mortal sins.
There are different degrees of punishment in Purgatory, depending on the gravity and number of each soul’s repentant actual mortal sins, and venial sins.
The number and degree of actual mortal sins affects how much harm is done to the person who sins and to the world. A greater number and/or a more severe mortal sin does more harm.
Examples:
- genocide versus a single murder – it certainly does matter that the one sin is much more gravely disordered and does much more harm than the other.
- contraception and abortion are different in the nature of the sin and in their moral gravity. Abortion certainly does more harm and is more gravely disordered, since the act is inherently directed toward the killing of an innocent.
- fornication (sex by two unmarried persons) is a mortal sin, but less grave than adultery, which is less grave than rape, which is less grave than incest.
All deliberate and knowing sexual sins are gravely immoral:
“Now according to Christian tradition and the Church’s teaching, and as right reason also recognizes, the moral order of sexuality involves such high values of human life that every direct violation of this order is objectively serious.”[Cardinal Seper, CDF, Persona Humana, n. X.]
Nicely put. Very useful to the OP I’m sure.But the more disordered the act, in terms of the three fonts of morality, the greater the immorality of the act. And the greater the immorality, the greater the harm to the sinner and to the world.
What difference does that make? The chief punishment is eternal separation from God which everyone in Hell suffers from so big deal if somebody gets an extra punishment thrown in.There are different degrees of punishment in Hell, depending on the gravity and number of each soul’s unrepentant actual mortal sins.
There are different degrees of punishment in Purgatory, depending on the gravity and number of each soul’s repentant actual mortal sins, and venial sins.
The number and degree of actual mortal sins affects how much harm is done to the person who sins and to the world. A greater number and/or a more severe mortal sin does more harm.
Examples:
All deliberate and knowing sexual sins are gravely immoral:
- genocide versus a single murder – it certainly does matter that the one sin is much more gravely disordered and does much more harm than the other.
- contraception and abortion are different in the nature of the sin and in their moral gravity. Abortion certainly does more harm and is more gravely disordered, since the act is inherently directed toward the killing of an innocent.
- fornication (sex by two unmarried persons) is a mortal sin, but less grave than adultery, which is less grave than rape, which is less grave than incest.
“Now according to Christian tradition and the Church’s teaching, and as right reason also recognizes, the moral order of sexuality involves such high values of human life that every direct violation of this order is objectively serious.”[Cardinal Seper, CDF, Persona Humana, n. X.]
But the more disordered the act, in terms of the three fonts of morality, the greater the immorality of the act. And the greater the immorality, the greater the harm to the sinner and to the world.