Are the Beatles Kosher?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HabemusFrancis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HabemusFrancis

Guest
Is it fine for a Catholic to listen to the Beatles?

I do enjoy their music and they have more than a few catchy tunes.

But I hear there was a lot of occult influence in the Beatles including Aleister Crowley.

John Lennon himself boasted that he was bigger than Jesus and that Christianity will fade and shrivel. Wonder if he thinks that now 👍

What is the Catholic take on the Beatles and thier influences? Can they be listened to safely?
 
Listening to a musician doesn’t mean you necessarily agree with every thing they’ve ever said or done. Relax. You don’t need to live in a bubble.
 
Given much of what’s out there today, I think much of the Beatles’ stuff - especially the early Beatles - is positively quaint.
 
If the Beatles are in heaven some day, they will be singing different tunes.

Their music was catchy and alluring but it’s plain that the entertainment industry is nothing but about money. layers of pornography ranging from “innocent” to unnecessarily graphic and sinful.
 
The Beatles are fine. Even if some of the members had repugnant beliefs, they still have good music.
 
I don’t mean to be rude, but questions like this always seem profoundly silly to me. Do you only ever do business with other Catholics? If I have a suit made for me by a Muslim tailor, am I by implication converting to Islam?

If you buy a musician’s record, all you’re saying is, “I find this music entertaining.” You’re not endorsing their religious views any more than you’re necessarily saying you like their haircut.
 
Listening to a musician doesn’t mean you necessarily agree with every thing they’ve ever said or done. Relax. You don’t need to live in a bubble.
Exactly. In fact understanding different viewpoints can actually be a good thing as it makes you think about your own.
 
Is it fine for a Catholic to listen to the Beatles?

I do enjoy their music and they have more than a few catchy tunes.

But I hear there was a lot of occult influence in the Beatles including Aleister Crowley.

John Lennon himself boasted that he was bigger than Jesus and that Christianity will fade and shrivel. Wonder if he thinks that now 👍

What is the Catholic take on the Beatles and thier influences? Can they be listened to safely?
I appreciate your question as I have always enjoyed their music. But, it was only some months ago that I read, I think its in Padre Fortea’s page, the negative effects their music had on the culture and generation. So, I decided to not listen to them anymore. I like cleaning house and getting stuff out of my life that are not in harmony with my spirituality. But, I guess it depends how demanding you want to be with yourself etc…
 
Is it fine for a Catholic to listen to the Beatles?

I do enjoy their music and they have more than a few catchy tunes.

But I hear there was a lot of occult influence in the Beatles including Aleister Crowley.

John Lennon himself boasted that he was bigger than Jesus and that Christianity will fade and shrivel. Wonder if he thinks that now 👍

What is the Catholic take on the Beatles and thier influences? Can they be listened to safely?
The Church has no ban on music. In my view anyone who would feel their faith shaken by listening to The Beatles must have very weak faith. Their music is great and I encourage people to listen to it. My grown up kids loved it when my wife and I played it at home and in the car and now my grandchildren too love it.

Best ever bands: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queen
 
If you look at some of the most popular singers today, like Miley Cirus, Justin Beiber, etc. their ‘stage image’ is NOTHING like what they are as a real person, its all an act, to appeal to a certain demographic, ultimately to squeeze as much money as they can from fans.

Most people would be surprised if they saw these people at home when they are not performing or in front of a camera.

I recently watched a video of the lead singer from a popular death metal band at his house, when he leaves ‘the stage’ he goes home to a very large and very nicely decorated home in Bel Air, point is, his home was not what you would expect from the ‘part’ he plays when in the public eye.
 
I heard Ringo was once seethed in his mother’s milk, and thus is not kosher. 😃
 
I asked a Jew; it turns out that eating the Beatles, or humans in general, is frowned upon and definitely not kosher. (joking).
Several of their songs are not decent.
 
There are many Beatles song which could be argued to be cryptic references to immorality, “Please Please Me”, etc.
Even many older song show the decline of American moral values. For instance, “yellow polka dot bikini” or “Wake up little Susie”. “Only the Good Die Young” should just be flat out banned though.
 
You know, I personally can’t stand that over produced, over emotive slick Christian music that you hear in Megachurches and other Christian rock music. It used to really bother me why I so disliked music with lyrics praising Jesus until I read a quote from someone saying that music reflected nothing of the struggle of being Christian and then I realised why. I hear more of the Spirit in the music of John Coltrane and in the abrasion of bands like Radiohead , music that expands my mind I guess.
 
I’m no expert in koshrut law, but…
I think it depends on the beetle. Some bugs (locusts) are kosher. But cockroaches are not.
But for the most part I’d say beetles are a no go.
Which brings us to the walrus. Walrus meat is not kosher, so put down that walrus hogie.
Now egg man, very interesting. Sure, eggs can be kosher, but an egg/man, probably not.

Now nothing with damaged organs can be kosher. So I think that is the final say given all the Lucy in the sky with diamonds, alchohol and drugs they seemed so fond of…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top