Are the end times near?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Curiouse
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Curiouse

Guest
I’m not trying to be the prophet of fire and brimstone, but is Armageddon on our heels? Think about it, this whole thing in the middle east, the accuracy of the St. Malachi prophecy, Pope Benedict XVI setting off the Muslims, perhaps the end times are near. I’m not specificaly worried, our Lord may come at whatever time He chooses:D I know some people will probably say that I should not worry, which I’m not, but what about other souls? What about our brothers who have not found shelter in the ark that is the Church? Is this the call of our generation, to evangalize as fervently and dedicated as the Apostles did so many centuries ago? What do you think?
 
I think it is getting closer every day!😉

Peace

Tim
By definition the end is getting closer – just as we all are getting closer to our personal ends each day we live.

But the Catholic Church rejects Millinarianism
676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism, especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.
(My emphasis.)

To seek to predict the end through Biblical prophesies is a heresy.
 
The History Channel had a show on last night about the issue of our times potentially being the End Times. (I do not put a great deal of value on THC rendition of theology).

However if one point seemed to come through loud and clear it is that people of virtually all generation thought they were in the End Times. Various Evangelicals and Fundementalists, among others, preached End Time theology and got many a people riled up. All (obviously) to no avail.

One scientist happened to mention that although we are seeing many natural disaters we are not seeing a disproportional number with respect to history. This shoots down the theories of Hurricane Katrina and The Tsunami being “signs”. As disasterous as these events were (and still are) there have been disasters of this magnitude and greater in years past.

I’d say, odds are, we are not in the End Times. Furthermore it really doesn’t matter since our own individuall End TIME, is at most decades away for most of us.
 
I’m not trying to be the prophet of fire and brimstone, but is Armageddon on our heels? Think about it, this whole thing in the middle east, the accuracy of the St. Malachi prophecy, Pope Benedict XVI setting off the Muslims, perhaps the end times are near. I’m not specificaly worried, our Lord may come at whatever time He chooses:D I know some people will probably say that I should not worry, which I’m not, but what about other souls? What about our brothers who have not found shelter in the ark that is the Church? Is this the call of our generation, to evangalize as fervently and dedicated as the Apostles did so many centuries ago? What do you think?
I know they are for me-sometime in the next 50 years
 
I’m not trying to be the prophet of fire and brimstone, but is Armageddon on our heels? Think about it, this whole thing in the middle east, the accuracy of the St. Malachi prophecy, Pope Benedict XVI setting off the Muslims, perhaps the end times are near. I’m not specificaly worried, our Lord may come at whatever time He chooses:D I know some people will probably say that I should not worry, which I’m not, but what about other souls? What about our brothers who have not found shelter in the ark that is the Church? Is this the call of our generation, to evangalize as fervently and dedicated as the Apostles did so many centuries ago? What do you think?
I’m almost 50 years old and I’ve been hearing almost the exact same thing as long as I could remember. The “clear signs” of the times are no more indicative now than they were when Hal Lindsay and his wild-eyed followers spouted this stuff off in the early 70’s.

Don’t sweat it. God has his timetable; it is for us only to be prepared to meet him at any time. Go here for more info:

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html
 
What amazes me is that “believers” keep bringing this up or preaching about it, or even starting denominations based on knowing when it will occur, when Christ Himself said that we wouldn’t know the hour or the day. Isn’t His word good enough for everybody?
 
If the end times are near, does that mean I don’t have to worry about folding all of the laundry on my porch and getting the house cleaned after Christmas, and worry about loosing weight!? I’d love it! Jesus, take me away!!!👍
 
I’m not trying to be the prophet of fire and brimstone, but is Armageddon on our heels? Think about it, this whole thing in the middle east, the accuracy of the St. Malachi prophecy, Pope Benedict XVI setting off the Muslims, perhaps the end times are near. I’m not specificaly worried, our Lord may come at whatever time He chooses:D I know some people will probably say that I should not worry, which I’m not, but what about other souls? What about our brothers who have not found shelter in the ark that is the Church? Is this the call of our generation, to evangalize as fervently and dedicated as the Apostles did so many centuries ago? What do you think?
I like Fr, Corapi’s take on the end times:
It may be near or it may not, but the end for you and me is very near.

But doesn’t the Church teach that there will be a large scale conversion of Jews to Christianity, and that the Church will be heavily persecuted and lose a large chunk of members?
 
The Apostles thought so. So for 2,000 years we have been living in the end times. Will they ever get it?

NO BODY BUT THE FATHER KNOWS.

Have a good day! 😃
 
I’m not trying to be the prophet of fire and brimstone, but is Armageddon on our heels? Think about it, this whole thing in the middle east, the accuracy of the St. Malachi prophecy, Pope Benedict XVI setting off the Muslims, perhaps the end times are near. I’m not specificaly worried, our Lord may come at whatever time He chooses:D I know some people will probably say that I should not worry, which I’m not, but what about other souls? What about our brothers who have not found shelter in the ark that is the Church? Is this the call of our generation, to evangalize as fervently and dedicated as the Apostles did so many centuries ago? What do you think?
The day I die is the end of the world for me. Christ in his humanity stated that he did not know, only the Father. I think the message in very clear; be prepared for he comes in a twinkle of the eye.
 
I’m almost 50 years old and I’ve been hearing almost the exact same thing as long as I could remember. The “clear signs” of the times are no more indicative now than they were when Hal Lindsay and his wild-eyed followers spouted this stuff off in the early 70’s.

Don’t sweat it. God has his timetable; it is for us only to be prepared to meet him at any time. Go here for more info:

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html
check out. Carl’s pdf chart on comparing dispensationalism and the Catholic church.👍
carl-olson.com/graphics/Cath_Disp_Comp_03.pdf
 
That History Channel show was silly. All it was was a Tim LaHaye showcase. I wonder how many books he sells every time that show comes on…

I wonder how many thought the end was near when the Temple was destroyed?..when Vesuvius buried Pompeii? When the Plague hit Europe? When Krakatoa erupted? Our access to and appetite for news is all that has changed…

Might I suggest The Rapture Trap, available here in Mr. Keating’s store?
 
But doesn’t the Church teach that there will be a large scale conversion of Jews to Christianity, …
This is my understanding based on The Book of Romans.
When/if I see a massive conversion of Jews to Christianity, I’ll start stockpiling my cans of tuna 😃 .
 
That History Channel show was silly. All it was was a Tim LaHaye showcase. I wonder how many books he sells every time that show comes on…

I wonder how many thought the end was near when the Temple was destroyed?..when Vesuvius buried Pompeii? When the Plague hit Europe? When Krakatoa erupted? Our access to and appetite for news is all that has changed…

Might I suggest The Rapture Trap, available here in Mr. Keating’s store?
Well said. I see red flags whenever I hear, “the end is near!” It is usually followed by, "just send us $19.95 and we’ll send you… " The truth is YES the end IS near! But we ought not panic, we ought to prepare ourselves so we don’t end up being locked out of the groom’s chambers. The Church teaches us all that we need to do to be prepared for the end.

By the way, the Mayans believed the end was going to come on December 12, 2012. If you send me $19.95 I’ll tell you what you can do to save yourself!
 
I’m not trying to be the prophet of fire and brimstone, but is Armageddon on our heels? Think about it, this whole thing in the middle east, the accuracy of the St. Malachi prophecy, Pope Benedict XVI setting off the Muslims
Just because the world appears apocalyptic from the American perspective doesn’t mean it actually is.

Do you really think that the Muslims are more of a threat today than they were during the middle ages?
 
Do you really think that the Muslims are more of a threat today than they were during the middle ages?
Not that it is a sign of end times, but yes, I do…if by threat you mean them making inroads into Europe. During the Crusades, the Muslum threat was countered by European govts who were urged on by Pope Urban II. Today, I doubt the Papacy holds as much sway.
 
Interestingly, the battle of Armageddon has already been fought – in 1917.

The British, capitalizing on the Arab Revolt, drove the Turks (who were allies of the Germans) out of the Arab nations in that year, and fought a battle near Migiddo (Armageddon.) The British commander, General Allenby, was made a peer and took the name “Allenby of Armageddon.”

So it’s official.😃
 
I like Fr, Corapi’s take on the end times:
It may be near or it may not, but the end for you and me is very near.

But doesn’t the Church teach that there will be a large scale conversion of Jews to Christianity, and that the Church will be heavily persecuted and lose a large chunk of members?
It seems to me there are a large number of conversion, the Church is being heavily pesecuted and we are losing a large chunk of members, or was that the point you were making:) ? Look at Europe, not to mention, even card carrying members who think they are Catholics here in the States, totally are not Catholics in thier beliefs and life styles. I’m reading a book about End Times by an unapproved visionary(who I won’t name here, because it’s against forum rules to discuss unapproved visionarys). Anyway theres alot of good points in it, such as we have been in “End Times” since the end of Christs bodily mission on earth. When the end end comes is the big question, which we, as followers of Christ should not let worry us, but should make us urgent in our need to make Christ know by our life style and Love and by helping to enlighten any who ask us for help. I’ve heard the “Left Behind” series has harmed alot of lives. People make life choices based on the premise that true believers will be taken up to heaven before the tribulation. Like not having children, not buying a new home, and things of that nature. Dear God, if this isn’t the tribulation we are living through now, it doesn’t bear thinking of what’s to come. As JP11 reinterated “Be not afraid”!!!
 
It seems to me there are a large number of conversion, the Church is being heavily pesecuted and we are losing a large chunk of members, or was that the point you were making:) ? Look at Europe, not to mention, even card carrying members who think they are Catholics here in the States, totally are not Catholics in thier beliefs and life styles. I’m reading a book about End Times by an unapproved visionary(who I won’t name here, because it’s against forum rules to discuss unapproved visionarys). Anyway theres alot of good points in it, such as we have been in “End Times” since the end of Christs bodily mission on earth. When the end end comes is the big question, which we, as followers of Christ should not let worry us, but should make us urgent in our need to make Christ know by our life style and Love and by helping to enlighten any who ask us for help. I’ve heard the “Left Behind” series has harmed alot of lives. People make life choices based on the premise that true believers will be taken up to heaven before the tribulation. Like not having children, not buying a new home, and things of that nature. Dear God, if this isn’t the tribulation we are living through now, it doesn’t bear thinking of what’s to come. As JP11 reinterated “Be not afraid”!!!
The total number of Catholics worldwide is larger than before and in Asia and Africa there are huge numbers of people becoming Catholics.
Remember the vast majority of Catholics are not from the USA or Europe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top