Are the Servants of the Holy Family in Schism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Servus_Pio_XII
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Servus_Pio_XII

Guest
I ran across their website (www.servi.org), and found that they are a religious community that offers Minor Seminary, and are ardent supporters of the Traditional Latin Mass. They referenced many non-schismatic bishops as supporting them, and had no reference to SSPX or Lefebrve (sp?) at all.

I think I might like to enter Minor Seminary, and one with TLM would be preferable. I do not, however, want to enter one which is in schism.

Does anyone know?
 
Did you go the link marked “bishops”? That gave me pause, because it said they had 2 “Roman” bishops come out to confirm:

http://www.servi.org/bishops.htm

You might want to run these bishops through the good old apostolic succession thingie. You might also tap their email link and see if what they say to the question, “Are you in line with the Magisterium”?
 
I sent an E-mail, as suggested. They maintain that they are not in schism, and have been to the bishop of the Diocese several times, at said meetings schism, apparently, not being mentioned. The priest I correspond with furthers and asserts (with, after reading the article cited, is feasible) that the bishop does not like them.

I should like to know if there is anywhere I could contact the Curia, to verify the claim that their case (to be installed as an order, not to de-schismify) is in Rome at the moment.
 
They do not seem to be in communion with Rome.

Also, they seem the type who complains about everything modern and has a fit when the liturgy isn’t done right, but throw charity out the window. Our Catholic Faith is indeed centered around the Mass, but there are many other parts to it as well- charity (which includes compassion, patience, joy- even when it is hard to be joyful, wisdom, and many other things) are qualities of our own character- and gifts from God- that we must not neglect. Sadly, I am afraid many of the traditional Catholic orders forget these things- they seem more concerned about the looks of the church, or the words of the liturgy, or the music, or the architecture of the building, or the art or statues than the souls of the people who yearn for Christ’s love and mercy.
 
Indeed, this is sad. For what is a Church that does not seek to save souls?
 
Servus Pio XII:
I think I might like to enter Minor Seminary, and one with TLM would be preferable. I do not, however, want to enter one which is in schism.
Celebrating the TLM only will mostly reach the Catholics who already know and love their faith. While we need more priests to celebrate the TLM, bear in mind this is not where the Catholics who need orthodox priests the most are at- they already have them. We need more orthodox priests to celebrate the Masses in the Novus Ordo parishes- they can celebrate the TLM privately as far as I know, and if they are in a diocese with an indult, maybe they’ll be allowed to celebrate it publically.
 
I wish the SSPX would be reconciled…have you any idea how many minor seminaries they have? It would be a smorgasboard.
 
Servus Pio XII:
I wish the SSPX would be reconciled…have you any idea how many minor seminaries they have? It would be a smorgasboard.
My guess would be zero. They have only four “major” seminaries.
 
Servus Pio XII:
I ran across their website (www.servi.org), and found that they are a religious community that offers Minor Seminary, and are ardent supporters of the Traditional Latin Mass. They referenced many non-schismatic bishops as supporting them, and had no reference to SSPX or Lefebrve (sp?) at all.

I think I might like to enter Minor Seminary, and one with TLM would be preferable. I do not, however, want to enter one which is in schism.

Does anyone know?
I couldn’t say if they are in schism, but it does appear that they are independent of Roman authority. They offer the Traditional Mass apparently exclusively, but make no mention of adhering to the terms of the indult. In additon, they don’t appear to be under the control of a Bishop, whichin and of itself would make it highly suspect.

If you are interested in them you might want to write or call and ask them point blank.

As an option you might check out the Norbertine Order . They are in full communion with Rome, and have as far as I know several schools and promote the Traditional Mass under the Indult. When people bring up the orders that use the Traditional Mass the Norbertines are often left out for some reason. I know they have a monastery in Southern California, Riverside County near Los Angeles, and often come down to assist with the booming Traditional Mass in San Diego.
 
Servus Pio XII
I wish the SSPX would be reconciled…have you any idea how many minor seminaries they have? It would be a smorgasboard.
That is the “wish” and prayer of most Catholics; but, the SSPXers say niet (or, “not yet”!) At best, the prospect of any SSPX seminarian who is ordained in the SSPX remaining in the SSPX is approx. 50 - 66%.

The folk at www.servi.org appear to have a similar “attitude” as the “hard-line” Feeneyite adherents to the St Benedict Center at New Hampshire who are NOT in communion with the local bishop - and by extension, not in communion with Rome.

They are to be contrasted with a number of other Feeneyite adherents who ARE in communion with the local bishop - and with Rome; those, for example at Still River.

It is wise always to adhere to those who are unequivocally in union with Rome.
 
Servus Pio XII said:
I wish the SSPX would be reconciled…have you any idea how many minor seminaries they have? It would be a smorgasboard.

I guess that could be done easily if SSPX would admit their error, repent and submit to Rome!
 
The SSPX is NOT in error. What Error? What DOCTRINE did they deny?

They maintain the Catholic Faith and will NOT kiss the Koran as JPII did. There is but ONE Lord, ONE Faith, and One Baptism.

They SHOULD be a bit more HUMBLE though.

I do not attend SSPX masses because:
  1. They are far.
  2. I feel a BIT uncomfertable that they are not in FULL Communion with Rome even though, as the Head of the Ecclesia Dei Commission, Cardinal Hoyos, recently stated: They are NOT ine FORMAL Schism. And are NOT heretical.
Instead I attend the FSSP parish and the Byzantine Melkite Parish.
 
Servants is in Schism. The bishop had a letter in the diocesan paper a couple of years ago about it.

I know several former members and they are definitely not in union with Rome. They may be under the delusion that because the pope hasn’t officially handed them a bull of excomunication that they aren’t.
 
40.png
Mercurius:
The SSPX is NOT in error. What Error? What DOCTRINE did they deny?

They maintain the Catholic Faith and will NOT kiss the Koran as JPII did. There is but ONE Lord, ONE Faith, and One Baptism.

They SHOULD be a bit more HUMBLE though.

I do not attend SSPX masses because:
  1. They are far.
  2. I feel a BIT uncomfertable that they are not in FULL Communion with Rome even though, as the Head of the Ecclesia Dei Commission, Cardinal Hoyos, recently stated: They are NOT ine FORMAL Schism. And are NOT heretical.
Instead I attend the FSSP parish and the Byzantine Melkite Parish.
They refused to submit to Rome by consecrating some bishops (against the instructions of the Pope not too) and because of that they put themselves into schism and are excommunicated.
 
**The topic of this thread is one particular group and their possible affiliation/non affiliation with the Church.

The topic of the SSPX in or out of schism has been addressed without end in other threads.

Those wishing to discuss it should search and read those threads, leaving this one to the topic at hand.

Your cooperation is appreciated. **
 
I had a similar situation of not knowing the status of a local parish that offered the traditional Latin Mass. Google didn’t much help, all it had was a story about how the head priest was in trouble over a car accident and it mentioned he was a priest in this particular parish. I had never been to the traditional Mass and desperately wanted to, so I called up the Archdiocese office and they knew right away. I even mentioned the article about the priest and problems he had with Rome. They knew right away, I take it they get calls from concerned Catholics all the time.

If we can’t take the Archdiocese office’s word for it, whose can we?
 
Youtube has a beautiful clip about Holy week from servi.org which is the Servants of the Holy Family website. You carried a thread about them. No one mentioned that they have had faculties from the Springs ordinary for over 3 years. Can someone ask him how they can have faculties and be schismatic at the same time?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top