A
anon5216
Guest
I don’t mean just canonized with a couple of credited miracles after death, but genuinely recognized as having achieved the spiritual heights of Padre Pio while living.
Why only Popes or Cardinals?I don’t mean just canonized with a couple of credited miracles after death, but genuinely recognized as having achieved the spiritual heights of Padre Pio while living.
I think he’s trying to find out whether or not our Church leaders have achieved as much spiritually as the laity. I reckon St Peter cannot but have been deeply spiritual - lots of miracles happened in his life, healings and what have you (even people touched by his shadow were healed in Acts).Why only Popes or Cardinals?
H.H. Pope Benedict XVII don’t mean just canonized with a couple of credited miracles after death, but genuinely recognized as having achieved the spiritual heights of Padre Pio while living.
My bad - I didn’t mean to say laity, I simply meant St Padre Pio was not a high-ranking church official or anything, is all.I don’t think he was saying that Padre Peo was a lay person. Only looking for someone who’s strong faith is seen by anyone and everyone. Padre Pio suffered a lot, and did alot of wonderful things in his life. But I don’t think we should be looking for someone just like him. Why would we want to?
While it’s nice to have such examples, but we should also be looking elsewhere for other types of examples as well. Sometimes the best ones are those that nobody notices.
If you read the OP’s other threads you will see that he judges the 1.2 billion Catholics against Padre Pio and said that any of us who did not measure up to Padre Pio is weak in their faith.I don’t think he was saying that Padre Peo was a lay person. Only looking for someone who’s strong faith is seen by anyone and everyone. Padre Pio suffered a lot, and did alot of wonderful things in his life. But I don’t think we should be looking for someone just like him. Why would we want to?
While it’s nice to have such examples, but we should also be looking elsewhere for other types of examples as well. Sometimes the best ones are those that nobody notices.
that is true, St Padre Pio is a great Saint but so is St Therese of Lisieux who spent her life doing ordinary little things for GodRemember that one’s spiritual “caliber” (by this I assume you mean holiness) is not measured by supernatural events like miraculous works, visions, locutions, bilocation, stigmata, etc., but by trying to do God’s will in our lives. There is no way to tell whether God considers Padre Pio holier than any Pope, canonized saint, etc., or even holier than the lady next door who tries to live as an image of Christ in ordinary ways every day.
I’m not sure I understand what you mean by someone who has given endless doubt being a great saint. That sounds counter-productive to me. I’m assuming you’re comparing him to Blessed Teresa of Calcuta. There is no comparison. They were two completely different people with completely different vocations and had completely different lives. And I believe her contribution was outstanding, not just from the giving standpoint, but her inspiration as being a humble servant without the reward.I never really thought of him as a great saint. What did he contribute to theology or our understanding of God. He was given a lot of supernatural gifts but that does not make him a great saint. I saint that is not given anything, not proof, just endless doubt, now that is a great saint.
I doubt that myself but I also hope that all saints will never be “forgotten”. However my gut tells me he will probably end up a “forgotten” a feast day about “The guy who did all that stuff, you know? That guy.” Many a saint has had many an amazing miracle and they are all but forgotten too. I will not deny he was given a lot of supernatural Gifts. If he said he fought with satan he probably did. However it is because of this that I think less than more of him spiritually. A prayer from someone that has not been given any gifts and is constantly fighting, not Satan, but rather for faith in God is infinitely more beautiful. His is the way of those who have not seen yet believe in a see of painful doubt, He is truly blessed, and he can teach the normal man that does not experience God in any realistic way, more than some on who actually experiences God regularly.I’m not sure I understand what you mean by someone who has given endless doubt being a great saint. That sounds counter-productive to me. I’m assuming you’re comparing him to Blessed Teresa of Calcuta. There is no comparison. They were two completely different people with completely different vocations and had completely different lives. And I believe her contribution was outstanding, not just from the giving standpoint, but her inspiration as being a humble servant without the reward.
As for St. Pio, how much do you know about him? He wasn’t called to be with the poor, and neither were saints such as St. Therese of Lisseux. But he was called to pray, and his vocation was more directly involved with souls, rather than human flesh. It is known he battled the devil, and needed days to recover from it. He advocated for souls daily. He was given a special vocation that I feel most of us won’t understand until we too have moved on from this life and on to the spiritual realm. God doesn’t bestow this “supernatural gifts” on someone for show. He had a specific mission in life.
He is an amazing saint. I believe he will remain among the more known saints in history.