Are there unforgivable sins?

• Thread starter Thread starter Polak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no one can say it’s forgiven either. Suicide is bad, it has touched us all. We ache for the salvation of any person ever. And that ache is but a millionth of God’s ache. And yet salvation comes hard even for those of us fortunate enough to spiritually reconcile with our God before death. It’s why the lost practice of praying for a happy death is still important. Memento Mori!

Sobriety (from drugs or alcohol) is also a factor If a person purposely gives up their will in the form of drunkenness or a high, then commits suicide the mortal damning sin may not be be suicide but the purposeful use of a substance to alter their will.

Last edited:
I never said it was forgiven always. I said it was not unforgivable.

God can work even in the time a bullet leaves the gun and enters the brain

God works in mysterious ways and no one knows how divine and mysterious his mercy is, so even the term “unforgiveable” is a paradox and cannot exist in an omnipotent God is what I believe.

My point is none of us have the knowledge to make any blanket statements involving the subject of forgiveness of suicide. The Church is clear, any one who dies in a state of mortal sin fulfilling the three requirements for sin cannot ever enter heaven. Nor can we claim to know the person’s state of grace or lack thereof. It’s best to pray for their soul, know that God owes salvation to none, and pray for His perfect justice and mercy. All the while reinforcing the Church’s teaching on sin, death, killing and suicide. It’s never been revealed anyone (a saint) has attained heaven after suicide.

Last edited:
I think many people want Hitler to be in hell. They feel that he deserved it because of the terrible things he did. I think that there are relatively few people that most people would say “deserve” help though. It is the basic human desire for justice and the basic view of what is evil. I think most humans can agree that directly harming others for no good reason(like self-defense) is “evil”.

I’ve always heard that sins against the Holy Spirit are unforgivable. Not quite sure what those would be, unless it’s denying the Holy Spirit completely.
My understanding is that it is the sin(s) that lead to final unrepentance. It takes grace to be moved to repentance. If the Holy Spirit is so offended that this grace is withdrawn (Exodus- The Lord “Hardening” Pharoah’s heart comes to mind), repentance is not possible.

Last edited:
My understanding is that it is the sin(s) that lead to final unrepentance. It takes grace to be moved to repentance. If the Holy Spirit is so offended that this grace is withdrawn (Exodus- The Lord “Hardening” Pharoah’s heart comes to mind), repentance is not possible.
Exactly. This is what “the Lord hardened his heart” means and is parallel to what Hell utlimately would be: God withdrawing that help and essentially leaving a soul to its own devices. This is what I understand true punishment from/by God to entail. Not in letting awful things happen to you: Not in killing you, afflicting you with troubles. Often, that’s God trying to help you come to conversion. If a person is busy being evil and everything in their life is smooth and dandy, that spells doom far more clearly than anything, IMO. The Lord does this when a soul is steeped in incredible pride; leaves them to themselves, in a way, and that’s his punishment. Personally, I believe that when he does that in this life, it’s to teach the soul how utterly helpless it truly is: to instil some humility by experential means. Probably, Pharaoh repented as he drowned. We do not know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back