I took a graduate class in college named The Bible As Literature. The text was an interlinear in Hebrew, Greek and English to illustrate how much elbow room there is in translating ancient texts. The most interesting literature class I ever took and I highly recommend using interlinear texts to anyone interested in understanding the non-scriptural aspects of the bible.
OK, I give up. What is the title of the interlinear textbook that you used. Can anybody but a graduate student understand it?
If I don’t understand Hebrew and Greek, I’m not sure that such a book would be a good investment for me.
I use Jewish commentaries which fiddle a lot with the words, to bring out the meaning – perhaps biased towards Jewish preconceptions, but “meaning”, nonetheless.
I’m sure that there is a lot of wiggle room, just from the words that are difficult to translate.
Or from the words that are so ancient that they are not understood. Or from the fact that Hebrew didn’t use vowels, so it’s a leap to translate Hebrew at all.
the Masoretic texts came up with the vowels to standardize the meaning, but that was a judgment call on the part of the Masoretes at the literal meaning.
It’s why the Jews have a system that boils down to this “trust your rabbi.”
Yes, this highlights the aspect of “tradition” in interpreting texts. The basic issue of traditiion is what does the text say?
Protestants who condemn “traditions of men” don’t realize what they are saying. You can’t escape tradition in Judaism and Christianity.